CRICKET General Cricket Discussion - 2023/24

Was thinking the other day when he showed up in classic catches, damn Martin Love was a fucking great player, how unlucky was he to only get 5 tests?

First Class record -

214 matches
374 innings
16,952 runs
300* highest score
49.85 average
45x 100's
78x 50's

On that topic, I absolutely loved the early 2000's Bulls team.

1. Jimmy Maher (c)
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Martin Love
4. Stuart Law
5. Andrew Symonds
6. James Hopes
7. Wade Secombe (wk)
8. Ashley Noffke
9. Nathan Hauritz
10. Andy Bichel
11. Michael Kasprowicz

Maybe I'm a massive biased fan because they're all Queenslanders, but that has gotta be one of the best FC teams ever assembled.

Was thinking the other day when he showed up in classic catches, damn Martin Love was a fucking great player, how unlucky was he to only get 5 tests?

First Class record -

214 matches
374 innings
16,952 runs
300* highest score
49.85 average
45x 100's
78x 50's

Love's legacy is big runs in big games.

11 Shield Finals and five 100's for six wins.

146- 95
100- 00
116- 05
169- 06
104- 09

He was an outstanding slipper and so graceful, tough too. Made his debut in the final in 93 against McGrath, Holdsworth and Whitney and got 42. 06 came off with 169 using his bat as a walking stick.

Of the 36 scores for Queensland above 200- Love has 6 including the highest with 300*.

100 in each innings for Queensland once, 187 and 116 v Tasmania in 94/95.
Third most runs in a season for Queensland with 1189 01/02.
Most runs for Queensland 11,224.
Most 100's for Queensland 31.
Most catches for Queensland 172.
Third most games for Queensland 151.

He is still around the guys as the physio and is great advice for them.

1. Jimmy Maher (c)
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Martin Love
4. Stuart Law
5. Andrew Symonds
6. James Hopes
7. Wade Secombe (wk)
8. Ashley Noffke
9. Nathan Hauritz
10. Andy Bichel
11. Michael Kasprowicz

Maybe I'm a massive biased fan because they're all Queenslanders, but that has gotta be one of the best FC teams ever assembled.

Haurtiz only played 38 games for Queensland, nearly as much as he played for New South Wales. He only took 74 wickets at 48 for Queensland. Never won a final for Queensland either.

He'd be carrying the bags off the bus in that side.

Australian cricket had enough talent for 2 or 3 National quality teams back in the late 90s and early 00s.

1. Jimmy Maher (c)
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Martin Love
4. Stuart Law
5. Andrew Symonds
6. James Hopes
7. Wade Secombe (wk)
8. Ashley Noffke
9. Nathan Hauritz
10. Andy Bichel
11. Michael Kasprowicz

Some of those NSW teams back in the days were pretty much the Test team

Australian cricket had enough talent for 2 or 3 National quality teams back in the late 90s and early 00s.

That was when we valued the Shield and it the results showed. Now in the middle of an Ashes series we can't even change our team or have pressure on guys because we don't play Shield cricket for two months over summer.

Some of those NSW teams back in the days were pretty much the Test team

Here is the New South Wales team Love made his debut against in 93.

Slater, Small, Gilchrist, Bevan, McNamara, Matthews, Bayliss, Emery, Holdsworth, Whitney, McGrath.

Queensland all out for 75.

WA team from '99 Final v Bulls.

Hussey, Campbell, Katich, Martyn, Moody, Baker, Gilchrist, Julian, Angel, Oldroy and Carey.

Bulls v Blues 2003 Final.

Slater, Mail, Katich, Waugh, Clarke, Waugh, Haddin, Nash, Clark, McGill, Bollinger

The best part of that QLD team was the bowling line-up I reckon. I was always a big fan of Ashley Noffke & James Hopes as bowling all-rounders, not to mention Kaspa & Bichel.

Michael Kasprowicz - 441 wickets @ 24.56 (2nd most wickets in Shield history)
Andy Bichel - 430 wickets @ 23.24 (3rd most wickets in Shield history)
James Hopes - 296 wickets @ 26.75 (19th most wickets in Shield history)
Ashley Noffke - 254 wickets @ 28.79 (32nd most wickets in Shield history)

Back in that greats era, the second national XI would have been something like:

1. Maher
2. Katich / Elliott
3. Love
4. Hodge
5. Siddons
6. Lehmann
7. Seccombe / Haddin
8. Bichel
9. Kasprowicz
10. Clark
11. MacGill

The third side would be almost as good with players like Bevan, Dussey, Noffke, Hopes, Klinger or there or thereabouts. Unbelievable.

Chris Lynn gets picked in the ODI series. Maxi gets snubbed again

Australia squad for Gillette ODI series against England: Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Chris Lynn, Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine, Jhye Richardson, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa

Jhye Richardson!!!! This kid is a deadset gun, he'll be in test squads soon enough as the fourth quick picked given Patto seems to have gone the Bond/Jones route of being a genuine gun but just plagued with injury.

So Faulkner and Maxwell had their papers stamped?

Jhye Richardson!!!! This kid is a deadset gun, he'll be in test squads soon enough as the fourth quick picked given Patto seems to have gone the Bond/Jones route of being a genuine gun but just plagued with injury.
Yeah he's been pretty impressive lately. Marcus Stoinis is pretty good to when he's not imitating M marsh

Yeah he's been pretty impressive lately. Marcus Stoinis is pretty good to when he's not imitating M marsh

As @Unbreakable knows, I can't stand Stoinis, he is just too beautiful.

Yeah it's hard to deny that he's a good looking rooster. Shouldn't be allowed to be that good looking and be able to play cricket for Australia. I remember watching a game a while ago, where he was playing for Australia and smashing 6s like it ain't no thing, not sure what his batting form is like atm

242037.jpg

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • Bish
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • HarryAllan7
  • Old Mate
  • Morepudding
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.