Gold Coast Titans Discussion

Yea but is he playing like you would expect from a $1.25 million player? Is Taylor playing like a million dollar half? This is the key, both of them are going reasonably well but Fifita looks above average as a second-rower but nowhere near THE best at the moment. Taylor is being outshone by Foegarty and is playing like something you would pay $400k too or 40% of his price bracket.
Based on that argument Milford should be paid in pies and cans of coke. Fifita is a certified weapon and a huge loss.

I think it's strange that people see some sort of relationship between performance and wage. If the Dogs players were paid 5 million EACH a season it wouldn't add one iota of ability to each player. The VALUE of a player is notional.

What I'm amazed by though is the absolutely idiotic statements I've read about Fifita. Amazingly stupid ones like 'he's not playing like a 1.25 million dollar player'. You know why they're stupid? Because the Broncos are only paying him what? 500k a season!!!!!!!!

Just because he's valued at 1.25 at some future point doesn't mean he's that now. The other thing the dummies just cannot get through their mush brains is his value to the Titans is comprised of MORE than just playing ability. Having a 20 year old marketable future superstar locked up means so much more to the club. On top of that there's every chance others will want to come to the Titans, a club clearly in the ascendancy.

Fifita is playing like a 600-800 k dynamic second rower while acknowledging he's just back from injury and it takes time. The future will take care of itself and it's up to the Titans and their fans to decide if Fifita is worth his wages.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Although most of us didn't rate Hayne as an on field signing he actually paid for himself in terms of fans and sponsorship dollars he brought at the time. I can't see Fifita being anywhere near as poor on field with the added bonus that they can market it as building around "locals" for juniors to look up to and strive for. Here is an article about how some of our juniors are excited to see him join for starters.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/ques...o/news-story/d7622027a0a705101c421ecd8b33d26e

The amount he’s signed for is important when factoring his output because it limits the amount you can spend on other players obviously. He’s not worth and never will be worth 1.25.

he’s a fucking gun tho so you’ll get more value out of him than you ever have Tayler at 1 million

Last edited:
Interesting to note heading into next year. Praying for more free to air games. Figured better off here than Round 16 thread where people might get all up in arms when I can't be bothered arguing.

"Here you go Titans fans:
Exactly how unpopular are the Broncos? The Friday 6pm game on Fox – often referred to as the game that doesn’t exist – between the Titans and Dragons outrated the Broncos-Roosters 8pm match."
Dominique Loudon and Danny Weidler, Twitter.

Last edited:
Interesting to note heading into next year. Praying for more free to air games. Figured better off here than Round 16 thread where people might get all up in arms when I can't be bothered arguing.

"Here you go Titans fans:
Exactly how unpopular are the Broncos? The Friday 6pm game on Fox – often referred to as the game that doesn’t exist – between the Titans and Dragons outrated the Broncos-Roosters 8pm match."
Dominique Loudon and Danny Weidler, Twitter.

Dude, it isn't particularly surprising. Who wants to watch their side get flogged week in week out?

Dude, it isn't particularly surprising. Who wants to watch their side get flogged week in week out?

Fair call, I posted it here as a 'hope for more free to air' post rather than a 'we have more fans' troll. Regardless I would still expect more watching your game. We've had countless predictable floggings over the years and I'm still yet to miss a game. Each to their own.

@The Don what's your take on Hipgrave. Seems to do some really good stuff but has that extra special dumbfuck thing or 2 in his game atm.

Were they comparing fox ratings?

I assume so.

@The Don what's your take on Hipgrave. Seems to do some really good stuff but has that extra special dumbfuck thing or 2 in his game atm.

That is a very good question. You pretty much summed it up although I have seen improvement on that front. I love the sheer passion he seems to have with it not being as common these days. Warriors game being a good example. Played half the game with a bad shoulder and refused to come off. Real team man and capable of momentum swinging tackles etc. as well as putting off the opposition. Makes some errors but then really works his arse off to make up for them. Has improved discipline out of sight for sure but his defence has been found out at times this year. In saying that he has played injured (shoulder) a few times which has effected his defence so hard to judge him imo. Splits fans. I like him personally but definitely a few that don't. Hope that helps.

On being off contract, considering how much he has been played I would assume Holbrook is a fan and he wants to stay from all reports so must be negotiations on price. Concerned given Fermor has shown quality signs and Tino and Fifita coming in he won't have a spot. Hipgrave can play lock and we need one with Arrow going but god it looks like Peachey might take that with the ball playing lock seeming to be the new norm. Hope he re-signs as would be top shelf depth at least.

Probably no longer relative to your question but I figure while I am thinking might as well put it in:
It is why I am of the opinion Proctor is no longer needed. Prefer Hipgrave as he brings points of difference rather than just experience and Fogarty seems to be owning the captaincy. I am still unsold on how much experience is optimal. Figure Wallace (seems to be stepping up) could offer that for the middle blokes with halves controlling the edges. Interested to see how Penrith wind up with seemingly a fairly inexperienced side(I think)?

Good if not unexpected news, Ash Taylor "100%" happy to take a pay cut to help Titans attract new talent. Subscriber only but here is article for anyone interested. https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...t/news-story/47c084949191cd18816eaa5d64936049

Who subscribes to the Gold Coast Bulletin? That's the real point of contention here.

But seriously, good on him. That said, there is no way that he won't take a pay cut to play ANYWHERE, no one is paying him a million dollars for his next contract.

Would be nice if Milford came out and said something like this.

Last edited:
Who subscribes to the Gold Coast Bulletin? That's the real point of contention here.

But seriously, good on him. That said, there is no way that he won't take a pay cut to play ANYWHERE, no one is paying him a million dollars for his next contract.

Would be nice if Milford came out and said something like this.

Got it for free with Uni in a course in no way relative so can't complain.

Only watched the second half of the match but I liked what I saw. It isn't that it was a great match but the Titans forwards worked for one another to form a hard working pack. They are going to be a tough team to beat next year.

If the new guys buy in that forward pack will take a lot by surprise. That Arrow goes well in a team that collectively seem determined to win and not just compete. Getting him to put in is surprising, he's got nothing much to gain.

Coaching.

Only watched the second half of the match but I liked what I saw. It isn't that it was a great match but the Titans forwards worked for one another to form a hard working pack. They are going to be a tough team to beat next year.

If the new guys buy in that forward pack will take a lot by surprise. That Arrow goes well in a team that collectively seem determined to win and not just compete. Getting him to put in is surprising, he's got nothing much to gain.

Coaching.

Think it is just a testament to Jai's character to be fair. Joliffe and Kelly both going off injured in first 10 probably didn't help the middle with fatigue but they have been working together beautifully lately. Wallace finally regaining some form brought it to a new level.

Coaching.

Maybe coaching but Arrow has always been like that. He's always been the kid that puts in no matter what position or situation a team is in.

Think it is just a testament to Jai's character to be fair. Joliffe and Kelly both going off injured in first 10 probably didn't help the middle with fatigue but they have been working together beautifully lately. Wallace finally regaining some form brought it to a new level.
That good? I'd read some good things and he jumped quite early on in the season. Perhaps if he'd stayed the Titans might not have been able to buy Fifita.

Maybe coaching but Arrow has always been like that. He's always been the kid that puts in no matter what position or situation a team is in.
What was the true story behind each professional signing? First the Titans and then Souths?

I was just reading about the team Holbrook inherited and it's a bangup job he's doing! Lost a great player as well so really starting from square one. How many cheap players can Holbrook buy? What's left in the budget?

Active Now

• Galah
  • Skathen
  • ell.d33
  • Porthoz
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.