Gold Coast Titans Discussion

We actually probably need to start eyeing off a few of their players like Fogarty and get Titans to pay overs for them. Titans should not get away with paying 1.1M for a second rower.

Already got us with ATay sir so I would appreciate if you lads kept your hands away for a few years thank you (mainly on AJ blokes a gun). While I am posting here though, in reference to Holbrook getting some recognition for the teams performance, I reckon one of his strengths has been his recruitment of assistant coaches. I feel that a fair bit of credit in regards to our defence being significantly improved must be given to the role Jim Dymock has been playing. If Walter's is given the Broncos job I reckon those choices may decide how he ends up.

Tell ya what, I’d be a little worried since seeing the return of Fifita since his injury.
Sure, we are shit, but the way he has been carrying himself since signing his mega contract screams to me his head has almost fallen off his shoulders.
For $1.2m, I’d be wanting to see a little more from him. His defence last night was shocking. Seems like teams know to just chuck 3 blokes on him everytime he gets the ball and that’s enough to shut him down in attack. Scored a nice individual try last night, but he hasn’t come back from injury like many would have thought/hoped.
It’ll be interesting to see how he performs in Origin this year, that may tell a better story of where he is really at.
I’d say he has all but checked out, not to Darius’ level yet, but give it a couple more games..

Tell ya what, I’d be a little worried since seeing the return of Fifita since his injury.
Sure, we are shit, but the way he has been carrying himself since signing his mega contract screams to me his head has almost fallen off his shoulders.
For $1.2m, I’d be wanting to see a little more from him. His defence last night was shocking. Seems like teams know to just chuck 3 blokes on him everytime he gets the ball and that’s enough to shut him down in attack. Scored a nice individual try last night, but he hasn’t come back from injury like many would have thought/hoped.
It’ll be interesting to see how he performs in Origin this year, that may tell a better story of where he is really at.
I’d say he has all but checked out, not to Darius’ level yet, but give it a couple more games..

I can see what you mean, at times it does appear he is a bit lazy currently. In terms of the teams know to chuck 3 defenders on him to shut him down, I feel the lack of quality ball the Broncos are able to give him does contribute in part to this issue. Even if not fully the Broncos fault currently, a 2nd rower drawing that sort of attention can only make it easier for your outside backs on that edge to get space. Since being back, I checked the stats and to be fair to him with the exception of TPJ (who seems to play similar to a prop at 2nd row), he is still only running 2nd-3rd in run metres behind Haas and/or Carrigan every week with an average of 138m. To do a comparison on Titans 2RF, I struggled to find one performance of over 100m with the average seeming to be down at around 70m (approximation as majority seemed to be around 60m pg). I think a lot of the bad perception around how he is playing is similar to Ash of late. He is actually playing reasonably well but all eyes are on him to lift the team. On the defensive end, I just watched the highlights to refresh the game as easy to miss stuff watching live. Obviously the Roosters third try, he could've done a better job positioning wise but other than that I didn't see many problems. Origin should be a good test I guess as hard to judge performances in a team getting blasted off the park. I don't think many of the Broncos have faith in their teammates defence which probably compounds the problem.

Cant understand the hate for Fifita by fellow fans. From here on after signing with your mob, everything he does is not good enough or just generates negativity.
The metres he makes or the defenders he attracts are just shrugged off as non events...but all of a sudden his defence is highlighted in an otherwise team of terrible defenders.

No 20 year old in the game now would have scored like he did last night.
He is a gun and is still will be a gun for years to come, despite the naysayers on this board.

I can see what you mean, at times it does appear he is a bit lazy currently. In terms of the teams know to chuck 3 defenders on him to shut him down, I feel the lack of quality ball the Broncos are able to give him does contribute in part to this issue. Even if not fully the Broncos fault currently, a 2nd rower drawing that sort of attention can only make it easier for your outside backs on that edge to get space. Since being back, I checked the stats and to be fair to him with the exception of TPJ (who seems to play similar to a prop at 2nd row), he is still only running 2nd-3rd in run metres behind Haas and/or Carrigan every week with an average of 138m. To do a comparison on Titans 2RF, I struggled to find one performance of over 100m with the average seeming to be down at around 70m (approximation as majority seemed to be around 60m pg). I think a lot of the bad perception around how he is playing is similar to Ash of late. He is actually playing reasonably well but all eyes are on him to lift the team. On the defensive end, I just watched the highlights to refresh the game as easy to miss stuff watching live. Obviously the Roosters third try, he could've done a better job positioning wise but other than that I didn't see many problems. Origin should be a good test I guess as hard to judge performances in a team getting blasted off the park. I don't think many of the Broncos have faith in their teammates defence which probably compounds the problem.

Yea but is he playing like you would expect from a $1.25 million player? Is Taylor playing like a million dollar half? This is the key, both of them are going reasonably well but Fifita looks above average as a second-rower but nowhere near THE best at the moment. Taylor is being outshone by Foegarty and is playing like something you would pay $400k too or 40% of his price bracket.

So much saltiness on here from fellow Broncos fans. Fifita is one of the best forwards in the comp and he’s only 20!

This kid is a freak and will make the Gold Coast a much better side.

Cant understand the hate for Fifita by fellow fans. From here on after signing with your mob, everything he does is not good enough or just generates negativity.
The metres he makes or the defenders he attracts are just shrugged off as non events...but all of a sudden his defence is highlighted in an otherwise team of terrible defenders.

No 20 year old in the game now would have scored like he did last night.
He is a gun and is still will be a gun for years to come, despite the naysayers on this board.

Yeah but the point is he is getting 1.25M. People weren’t saying this previously because he wasn’t getting that amount so his shortcoming weren’t as much an issue.

So much saltiness on here from fellow Broncos fans. Fifita is one of the best forwards in the comp and he’s only 20!

This kid is a freak and will make the Gold Coast a much better side.
Totally agree but saltiness is common when you lose a key player to another club especially when your club is currently garbage. He is a massive loss and impossible to replace. Whether he is worth that pricetag is irrelevant. He has left a glamour club run by a bunch of fucking idiots to a historically struggle street franchise who appear to be a club on the rise and for a massive pay raise to boot. I certainly don't blame him for leaving.

I understand the constant writing up of titans getting Fifita and Tino but can someone explain to me why eseese is mentioned in the same breath as them? He's been shit ever since he left broncos

Last edited:
Yea but is he playing like you would expect from a $1.25 million player? Is Taylor playing like a million dollar half? This is the key, both of them are going reasonably well but Fifita looks above average as a second-rower but nowhere near THE best at the moment. Taylor is being outshone by Foegarty and is playing like something you would pay $400k too or 40% of his price bracket.

I actually don't think Fogarty is out performing him at all. Maybe out enthusing him with support plays as that has never been Ash's strong suit, however, usually Ash is criticised for his defence but he shut down Dufty and Frizell brilliantly all evening. To add to that Fogarty's side of the field never looks threatening in attack whereas that no try was off an Ash kick and he gave the inside ball to AJ to set up our match winner whilst also threatening a few times running the ball. I will admit that kick from Fogarty to set up Peachey was quality but usually it seems to come down to Ash to do most of the kicking and 5th tackle options (sometimes in poor positions where he gets knocked for not getting a result). We had 9 tackles in opposition 20. Not much more he could do last night. I am not saying Fogarty is a poor half and Ash probably has the more dangerous outside men but whether it be a lack of creativity or something, our right side just never looks likely. On Fifita though I am still confident part of the problem lies with your half issues and lack of go forward at times. Tying in to my thoughts on Taylor, he has started to put his 2RF through untouched more and more of late and with Fifita there it would be frighteningly good.

I understand the constant writing up of titans getting Fifita and Tino but can someone explain to me why eseese is mentioned in the same breath as them? He's been shit ever since he left broncos

The media will overhype every journeyman quality player into some huge signing that they can. It's all about creating buzz, as if all 6 Titans fans give two shits about getting Ese'ese when Fifita is heading down there on 1.25 mill a year.

Last edited:
Fifita is a fucking gem. Guys runs like he wants to run through a brick wall every game. He will be a revelation at the Titans with another off season under the belt.

The media will overhype every journeyman quality player into some huge signing that they can. It's all about creating buzz, as if all 6 Titans fans give two shits about getting Ese'ese when Fifita is heading down there on 1.25 mill a year.

Mate it's because we have a long history of bringing out players potential. See Cartwright, Boyd etc. ;) I can dream it will end up being an Arrow-esque signing.

I actually don't think Fogarty is out performing him at all. Maybe out enthusing him with support plays as that has never been Ash's strong suit, however, usually Ash is criticised for his defence but he shut down Dufty and Frizell brilliantly all evening. To add to that Fogarty's side of the field never looks threatening in attack whereas that no try was off an Ash kick and he gave the inside ball to AJ to set up our match winner whilst also threatening a few times running the ball. I will admit that kick from Fogarty to set up Peachey was quality but usually it seems to come down to Ash to do most of the kicking and 5th tackle options (sometimes in poor positions where he gets knocked for not getting a result). We had 9 tackles in opposition 20. Not much more he could do last night. I am not saying Fogarty is a poor half and Ash probably has the more dangerous outside men but whether it be a lack of creativity or something, our right side just never looks likely. On Fifita though I am still confident part of the problem lies with your half issues and lack of go forward at times. Tying in to my thoughts on Taylor, he has started to put his 2RF through untouched more and more of late and with Fifita there it would be frighteningly good.

Again, I’m not saying Taylor’s been bad but he is doing what any $400k half not at the Broncos should be doing, that’s the point.

Yeah but the point is he is getting 1.25M. People weren’t saying this previously because he wasn’t getting that amount so his shortcoming weren’t as much an issue.
I think it's strange that people see some sort of relationship between performance and wage. If the Dogs players were paid 5 million EACH a season it wouldn't add one iota of ability to each player. The VALUE of a player is notional.

What I'm amazed by though is the absolutely idiotic statements I've read about Fifita. Amazingly stupid ones like 'he's not playing like a 1.25 million dollar player'. You know why they're stupid? Because the Broncos are only paying him what? 500k a season!!!!!!!!

Just because he's valued at 1.25 at some future point doesn't mean he's that now. The other thing the dummies just cannot get through their mush brains is his value to the Titans is comprised of MORE than just playing ability. Having a 20 year old marketable future superstar locked up means so much more to the club. On top of that there's every chance others will want to come to the Titans, a club clearly in the ascendancy.

Fifita is playing like a 600-800 k dynamic second rower while acknowledging he's just back from injury and it takes time. The future will take care of itself and it's up to the Titans and their fans to decide if Fifita is worth his wages.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Santa
  • winslow_wong
  • jd87
  • Midean
  • Mustafur
  • RodF
  • Justwin
  • Strop
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Skathen
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Volvo Driver
  • Fatboy
... and 42 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.