Goodbye my lover, Goodbye my friend.

Frank the Tank said:
Oh yeah he wasn't tough, and did surrender very easily to tackles, but he played at a time when we had so many flashy people in the team that he was needed to settle things down. He was also a near guaranteed extra 2 points every time we scored a try, which is always a bonus.

Frank did hate his useless dummy half runs though.

Yeah, I am not saying he was useless he clearly did serve a purpose I just don't like having a guy in my side who is so great in one area and so woeful in another. Each to their own.

Coxy said:
Speaking of Brad Meyers, could be an interesting physical anomaly on Friday night this week.

Picture the scenario. Brad Meyers has the ball and he's running straight at Joel Clinton. Meyers will inevitably drop the ball, he always does. If Clinton then tries to pick up the loose ball, he will certainly drop it too. Now if Meyers tries to pick it up again...we could get ourselves into the realm of perpetual **** ups and never see full time! [eusa_doh [icon_pray.

[icon_lol1. What an odd thing to think of. Good to see big red actually play half decently last week, its been a long time......

I'm sorry, but as soon as Meyers runs at the ball, even though I'm not a Titans fan, I get flashbacks to his days at the Broncos and I tense up, squint my eyes and pray he a) catches the ball cleanly, b) gets tackled without dropping it, c) gets to his feet without dropping it and d) plays the ball cleanly. Then I relax back in my seat letting my heart beat get back to normal.

I'm going through the same dramas when Joel Clinton goes near it now.

It's painful!!!

Coxy said:
I'm sorry, but as soon as Meyers runs at the ball, even though I'm not a Titans fan, I get flashbacks to his days at the Broncos and I tense up, squint my eyes and pray he a) catches the ball cleanly, b) gets tackled without dropping it, c) gets to his feet without dropping it and d) plays the ball cleanly. Then I relax back in my seat letting my heart beat get back to normal.

It's painful!!!

I remember a game we played against the Roosters in about 03 or 04 when they were brutal in defense sprinting out of the line and every time Log Meyers touched it he was so slow to get moving he was tackled time and time again before he had started running. Sure they were probably offside but Webcke was making 5 or 6 meters before he would get hit.

Frank the Tank said:
[quote="FCB BB AKA MB":21apxbum]

Yeah, I am not saying he was useless he clearly did serve a purpose I just don't like having a guy in my side who is so great in one area and so woeful in another. Each to their own.
Frank understands, but Frank doesn't think he was that bad in attack. he was a great finisher, and that counted for a lot when you had players that could create opportunities left right and centre.[/quote:21apxbum]

Yeah, but did De Vere ever chip and chase for himself to score a match winning try?

Oh yeah. That's right. 2002.

But he's never had any pointscoring records for the Broncos, goalkickers don't get that many points in individual games unless they score tries.

Oh yeah. That's right. He matched Terry Matterson's 24-points in a game record...twice...with 2 tries and 8 goals. Until Lote Tuqiri beat him with 3 tries and 7 goals for 26 points.

He never made line breaks on his own though...oh wait, he did a few times. In fact, quite regularly.

But yeah, MB says he dived at people's legs. What a wuss. Just because he was told his job was to take quick scoots from dummyhalf early in the tackle count, go to ground and get a quick play the ball, that doesn't mean he should've done it.

Oh yeah...probably does....

Nah, but MB HAS to be right. He said so!! [icon_wink

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Coxy said:

It's painful!!!

I remember a game we played against the Roosters in about 03 or 04 when they were brutal in defense sprinting out of the line and every time Log Meyers touched it he was so slow to get moving he was tackled time and time again before he had started running. Sure they were probably offside but Webcke was making 5 or 6 meters before he would get hit.

[icon_lol1. Yeah, Big Red was funny.

It'll only take one highish shot again and he'll become the powderpuff forward again. The BFG. Big Freckled Giant.

Firstly, Minto is a greek god. [icon_lol1. Secondly, I was one of those people highly upset when De Vere left the club. Priddis, Webb and Civoniceva were the only other players i actually cared about when they left. Kenny is a hard worker, and I rate him highly.

I don't agree that DeVere falls into the same category as Kelly, Perry, Carlaw et al.

He certainly wasn't the type of player that would get the crowd on their feet, but that wasn't his role in the side. He wasn't one dimensional like some of the others, but he did excell in areas that could be said to be less prettier aspects of the game from a spectators point of view. His defence was more than outstanding at times and I can still recall there being many occassions where he simply saved out arses through his effective, relentless tackling and his ability to read the play and direct the blokes either side of him.

Another point to consider is the type and quality of players around him during most of his career. The type of player who complimented quite well the more talked about blokes around him.

I have a lot of satisfying memories of DeVere's achievements for us and there's plenty of others who regarded him as nothing less than an asset to the team. Can the same be said for Kelly, Meyers and co?

Frank the Tank said:
Yeah Frank can't agree on De Vere being in that group. Frank has a very high opinion of De Vere.

Definitely add Carlaw and Meyers though. Up until this year Frank would've said Kenny too, but he looks like he could be quite good. Definitely add McGuire too. He was the leader of the group.
McGuire...ARGH! Don't even mention his name, less he is like the devil and will appear again :shock:

mrslong said:
Frank the Tank said:
Yeah Frank can't agree on De Vere being in that group. Frank has a very high opinion of De Vere.

Definitely add Carlaw and Meyers though. Up until this year Frank would've said Kenny too, but he looks like he could be quite good. Definitely add McGuire too. He was the leader of the group.
McGuire...ARGH! Don't even mention his name, less he is like the devil and will appear again :shock:

Are you talking about the player or the fan.... or both [icon_lol1.

Each to there own. As I said De Vere was a superb defender and a good goal kicker I personally rated his attack very low thats my opinion and it won't change i think I had these arguments with Coxy in 03 or 04 so nothing has changed lol. He served a purpose and I see that and I have a lot of respect for him especially as he seems like such a good bloke. I do remember at ANZ against the Knights he scored a try chipping over Robbie O'Davis's head for himself it was remarkable and a great moment which I won't forget. I know he served a purpose within the team but I think in attack his ability was limited and he couldn't have played any differently, but he certainly shouldn't be put in the same boat as Meyers or Carlaw so I concede that. [icon_wink

Still looking as cute as ever in his tight little shorts down at East Carina Juniors anyhow. icon_smile
Does anyone know if the rumour is correct that Micheals is not resigning and heading off with Bennett next year? [icon_non Would love to know who WB has on that wish list.

The Rock said:
Also, just because De Vere dives to his knees inattack, how does that make him not tough? [icon_shru

He copped a lot of hits and I remember he always just got up, shook himself off and played the ball. What about in state of origin? Stapples to the head? And just played on? Come on, many players these days would just go off the field.

[icon_lol1. I knew someone would bring the staples up. I get everything you said before and each to their own really. He did have good aspects but when he came into the side he was playing at the same time as and after some outstanding match winners out wide for us so for me having a guy there who just did a job made a lot of tackles and went down quick for the play the ball just wasn't my cup of tea. But I absolutely see where his value was and I see why a lot of people loved him.

He never had the flair that a lot of outside backs have, but he was solid in defence, and was always there when they needed someone to back up or make the tackle to save the try. People loved the effort he put into the game, and his pure dedication for his team.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • Reds2011
  • Dash
  • broncsgoat
  • mrslong
  • bb_gun
  • Mr Fourex
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Fitzy
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
  • upthebroncs
  • RolledOates
  • KevieBurnerAccount
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.