NEWS Gorden Tallis: Pathetic excuses won’t dig Broncos out of hole

Jedhead

NRL Player
Siebs handled Kent fairly well. But he's still kidding himself if he thinks the media are gonna give him a fair go. Making yourself available to these scumbags only leaves yourself open to being misquoted and unnecassirly slagged off.

Tell them nothing...take 'em nowhere.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Siebs handled Kent fairly well. But he's still kidding himself if he thinks the media are gonna give him a fair go. Making yourself available to these scumbags only leaves yourself open to being misquoted and unnecassirly slagged off.

Tell them nothing...take 'em nowhere.
Can't do that. Many gave WB shit for doing exactly that. Not me, I liked it.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Fair points Kimlo but i’d Call letting kodi go a tough decision...sua to a lesser dregree. The mentality and consistency are a bi product of having to overhaul the roster with young chargers which ties in with the no signings / free pick up which may be explained by our cap problems. The rumours I’m hearing that are very close to the bone are dire and we’ve done well to even retain TPJ and Lodge. By the time they get it under control we should know more. There’s no way they are sacking him with the shit he’s having to work through roster wise and like you no one i’d Want to sign that’s available either.

I guess we wait for next season with that proper off season you pointed out and some rational decisions get made.
Man that's depressing if we're struggling with the cap with our roster.

I saw so many awesome things at Souths under Seibold I was so optimistic about him coming here.

As much as I like Bennett's attitude to not wrestling it's fundamental to being a top tier team, I was hoping Seibold would start to train our boys, get them to master ruck control, block plays, forwards running in pairs, all those little things that Melbourne and the likes do very, very well that we never really did. Maybe it just takes time, I'm not a coach, I could never do it so I don't even remotely understand how difficult (or not difficult) it is to train a group of players to change the way they play.

It was a very disrupted pre-season with constant bullshit and media everywhere. Hopefully as soon as this season is over, Seibold and the coaching staff have plenty of time to work out exactly what areas they can work on, give some players their marching orders, maybe a surprise off-season signing.

It's not like we're miles off being a good team, it's just small effort areas that aren't there, not having half our cap injured on the sidelines and maybe one or two smart signings and we could be in the top 4 next year. Lodge and TPJ sticking around gives me hope that regardless of the results, the team does like him as a coach and will respond to him.

Xzei

NYC Player
His response to Ikin's query about Boyds captaincy and form at 5/8 was unsatisfactory for mine. Seibold's reply went something along the lines of 'Darius is enjoying the challenge at 5/8 and will continue to be there until Dearden and the others halves recover. Darius could not do his role with the 40% possession that he we had....(yada yada, and my mind drifted of to season 2020, all hope for 2019 distinguished)
Could that mean a shift when deardon and sos are fit to the centers?

heartly87

QCup Player
What I find so fucking ridiculous is how many teams are so called top 4s. I have heard the knights, Dragons, the Broncos, Panthers, the Titans, Roosters, Rabbits, Storm, Raiders, Eels and god knows who else. Its all play just to drum up news with no real touch in reality.

I hear how rough it is for the Bulldogs because their a young side and their halfs have like 50 first grade games yet for the Broncos thats just an excuse.

Seibs was completely right. He was saying the club has a mentality that a L is almost guaranteed againts the storm. It is a culture thing and he is right by pointing it out and saying it needs to change.

The media are loving the year the QLD clubs are having and are doing everything to weaken it further by adding another team.

The only gripe I have currently is two senior players that are in crucial positions and holding the team back. I really dont envy Seibs job. Hopefully he can get some support behind him st the club to make the big calls.

Last edited:

nathano11

NYC Player
Colo Vale
I wish Seibold would just look directly at the camera when he is interviewed, his eyes are so off putting when they are looking all over the place

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
There you go Wolfie Wolfie, McGuire was a Bennett decision.

Or maybe it was Louise.
Well, I'm calling Bullshit from Seibs on that one because I know 100% he was involved in the process when it happened. And he didn't actually say it was Bennett either, he said it happened when the old coach was here. The final decision was down to Moose, but when you are told you aren't part of the new coaches plans what do you do?

Last edited:

Old Mate

NRL Player
His response to Ikin's query about Boyds captaincy and form at 5/8 was unsatisfactory for mine. Seibold's reply went something along the lines of 'Darius is enjoying the challenge at 5/8 and will continue to be there until Dearden and the others halves recover. Darius could not do his role with the 40% possession that he we had....(yada yada, and my mind drifted of to season 2020, all hope for 2019 distinguished)
What do you mean, it’s a great reply. Darius will be there UNTIL the other halves recover.

Old Mate

NRL Player
Man that's depressing if we're struggling with the cap with our roster.

I saw so many awesome things at Souths under Seibold I was so optimistic about him coming here.

As much as I like Bennett's attitude to not wrestling it's fundamental to being a top tier team, I was hoping Seibold would start to train our boys, get them to master ruck control, block plays, forwards running in pairs, all those little things that Melbourne and the likes do very, very well that we never really did. Maybe it just takes time, I'm not a coach, I could never do it so I don't even remotely understand how difficult (or not difficult) it is to train a group of players to change the way they play.

It was a very disrupted pre-season with constant bullshit and media everywhere. Hopefully as soon as this season is over, Seibold and the coaching staff have plenty of time to work out exactly what areas they can work on, give some players their marching orders, maybe a surprise off-season signing.

It's not like we're miles off being a good team, it's just small effort areas that aren't there, not having half our cap injured on the sidelines and maybe one or two smart signings and we could be in the top 4 next year. Lodge and TPJ sticking around gives me hope that regardless of the results, the team does like him as a coach and will respond to him.
Don’t you have to spend 95% or something of your cap?

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I should clarify, when I said it wasn't Bennett earlier, I meant he never said it was Bennett that made the decision, it just happened in that horrible period where we couldn't sort out our coaching mess with any class

heartly87

QCup Player
Well, I'm calling Bullshit from Seibs on that one because I know 100% he was involved in the process when it happened. And he didn't actually say it was Bennett either, he said it happened when the old coach was here. The final decision was down to Moose, but when you are told you aren't part of the new coaches plans what do you do?
I would like to know who you got that info from. As one should also see the possible angle a long term player may wish to play on his way out the back door for bigger coin. It looks better for the fans if your loyalty was never in question. Seibs may have been told Moose has a deal and it was ok by Bennett but are you ok with it and he could of just said if Moose wants to go let him go.

League is a game of politics just like anything in this world and to just believe one side of the story is a bit silly especially one that I doubt has been put in the public sphere. Has anyone else heard or read in any publication that Seibs didn't want Moose in the squad because I haven't.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I would like to know who you got that info from. As one should also see the possible angle a long term player may wish to play on his way out the back door for bigger coin. It looks better for the fans if your loyalty was never in question. Seibs may have been told Moose has a deal and it was ok by Bennett but are you ok with it and he could of just said if Moose wants to go let him go.

League is a game of politics just like anything in this world and to just believe one side of the story is a bit silly especially one that I doubt has been put in the public sphere. Has anyone else heard or read in any publication that Seibs didn't want Moose in the squad because I haven't.
Mate, I can't come out and say how I know on here obviously, so if you don't believe it that's fine. Bennett wasn't really involved much, just told Moose to look after what's best for him. Seibs from what I got told said he wasn't really in his long term plans ( which I also think is fine for Seibs to say ) so It was down to Moose if he stayed or not.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
All a bit funny considering one of Siebold's published gripes was Souths and Bennett talking about which players he wanted kept for 2020, and also the stated reason why we sacked Wayne.

Last edited:

Kyall

NRL Player
I think moose was offered big money and our current coach didn’t step in his way to take it.

john1420

NRL Player
Totally agree. This is where my gripe with Seibold is. I rated him as a coach and it's no secret I did not want him here before 2020 so we could see how he goes with another year of first grade but my issue with Seibold is he changed very little.

Our defence looks worse.
Our attack is not better and probably worse.
Our mentality is worse.
Our consistency is even worse somehow.
We are even worse playing against the good teams.
He has not made any good signings although I do like Segs but that was a free pickup.
He has made no tough decisions on the roster although I do fully support the Roberts issue.
Our footy IQ is no better than before.
We don't seem any fitter with all the talk of training above game speed.
I can't really name any players that have went up a level under him outside of natural progression.

I'm not hating on Seibold, I really want him to be a success but where is the beautiful attacking structure the Souths had last year?

I guess we just need to wait, next year with a proper off season big decisions have to be made. One, if not both of Boyd/Macca should be told to look elsewhere or be put in reserves.
It's not like sacking him would be worthwhile, there isn't a single coach on the market I'd want to sign anyway so we're better off hoping he can start to turn things around in a big way soon.
I think he has made some tough calls with the roster, given the history, moving Darius out of fullback is one
And it seems likely Siebs views him as a stopgap at 6 so it could be out to centre in a week or 2

But I'm not going to argue any of your other points

Pub Steak

QCup Player
I should clarify, when I said it wasn't Bennett earlier, I meant he never said it was Bennett that made the decision, it just happened in that horrible period where we couldn't sort out our coaching mess with any class
Sorry mate but I'm still calling bullshit the other way! Like I said back then one of mooses family friends told me he decided for himself that he didn't want to get to the end of his contract and be competing within the cap against this fresh crop of super forwards trying to get another couple of years and decent coin. Cowboys offered more money and 3 years so he made the decision based on extending his earnings for the end of his career. No one from the broncos was a big enough **** to stand in his way. We all know any coach in the NRL would have let him go out of respect for his life decision and what he'd achieved.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Sorry mate but I'm still calling bullshit the other way! Like I said back then one of mooses family friends told me he decided for himself that he didn't want to get to the end of his contract and be competing within the cap against this fresh crop of super forwards trying to get another couple of years and decent coin. Cowboys offered more money and 3 years so he made the decision based on extending his earnings for the end of his career. No one from the broncos was a big enough **** to stand in his way. We all know any coach in the NRL would have let him go out of respect for his life decision and what he'd achieved.
Thats ok, i trust the bloke who told me seeing as i doubt there would be anyone better who would know. Not denying he made the final decision himself, it was an offer too good to turn down, but he was still told he wasnt in the coaches long term plans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter