Granville Gets Stuck In

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Granville Gets Stuck In - Brisbane Broncos

JAKE Granville doesn’t remember ever training in October before, but he was one of a host of young Broncos who started their 2014 campaigns today.

The speedy hooker from Wynnum Seagulls, who played two NRL games last season, joined a group of hopefuls in a testing session.
They were mostly players from the under 20s with a few young NRL names returning from injury thrown in.
Official training doesn’t start until next Wednesday, but this group went through their paces today to get an early jump.
Granville said he had been readying himself for the demands of an NRL pre-season with some road work and bouts in the surf.
“It is the earliest I have ever been at training – it is only October 30th,” he said today.
“It is going to be a long pre-season, but a good one.
“I have been for a few runs trying to stay fit and been doing a bit of surfing.
“I went okay but I suppose you can always go better.
“It is good to stay paddle fit on the board but it is a bit different to running.”
Granville had a dream NRL start this year, setting up a try in a big Broncos win over the Titans.
But he only played one other match, and said his only immediate goal is getting into the best shape possible.
“I am just focussing on training hard first and taking it from there,” he said.
“I just have to do the hard work and see where it ends up.
“It is good to know what is coming and to work off last year.
“I just have to put a good eight weeks or so to Christmas and take it from there.
“It is good to get back into it early – there is nothing like putting in the hard ones.”

That's what I like to hear. You just have to look at Cronk and DCE to look how far determination can get you. Neither were wanted early on in their careers, but hard work paid off and they are the two best halfbacks in the world.

SBW, although a gifted athlete, leaves nothing to chance from all accounts.

I don't want to sound nasty, but in the interview with Trad, there didn't look like much was going on in Jake's head judging by the look on his face. Maybe it was the result of being interviewed by Trad haha

Anyway looks like the 20's boys plus our injury group are the main ones back as shown in the gallery: JYY, Hala, Kahu + Granville, Cullen, Molo, Nikorima, Duncan Paia'aua, Jo Ohafengaue, Ajuma Adams and Jordan Drew

There was also strasser and all of the under 20's boys are really promising boys who could make it into the team at any time.

jeez this is going to be a long offseason (waiting for rnd 1).

cant wait.

exciting to see so many of those young fellas opting to start a little early.

Hopefully Granville can step up next year and give us some spark from dummyhalf (as he did a couple of times last year)

We're going to need to get opposition sides on the backfoot more often this coming season, and that will come from quick plays at the ruck.

I don't want to sound nasty, but in the interview with Trad, there didn't look like much was going on in Jake's head judging by the look on his face.

I've seen interviews with him before, I think he's copped about 83 too many head knocks.

...or he's just not used to being in front of the camera.

So is Greg Inglis, barely capable of stringing 2 words together. Doesn't affect what he can do on the field.

At which stage did I say he was a bad player? I'm just saying, he's obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Last edited:
No, trust me, he's as dopey as they come.

Who gives a ****? I know that sounds offensive and I don't mean it to be but it's just staggering how often people say this. By their own admission footy players aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and they don't need to be.

It's like going to a brothel and being disappointed that she couldn't help you write your university thesis

Who gives a ****? I know that sounds offensive and I don't mean it to be but it's just staggering how often people say this. By their own admission footy players aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and they don't need to be.

It's like going to a brothel and being disappointed that she couldn't help you write your university thesis

Why are people getting butthurt that I called Granville dopey? It's not exactly a derogatory term, he just comes across as extremely dull witted in interviews.

Not that I really care, I'm just saying he'll need to do some work behind closed doors to work on his communication skills with media, all players have to do it.

Calling someone dopey is generally an attempt to belittle them. It's not a big deal, but I find it odd.

If a player is becoming a commentator, then it becomes more relevant. Like Brad Fittler. Absolute retard.

Calling someone dopey is generally an attempt to belittle them. It's not a big deal, but I find it odd.

If a player is becoming a commentator, then it becomes more relevant. Like Brad Fittler. Absolute retard.

Fittler/Johns ..... two of a perfect pair !

Great stuff from Granville - am loving his 'can do' attitude regarding fitness. He made a really impressive debut against the Gold Coast with some speed out of dummy half, crisp passing and a deft little kick for Maranta to score. I'm convinced he can give us some real spark off the bench.

Can't work out how he didn't get more games this year. Some of the post match press reports after that game quoted him as saying the speed of the NRL was a real step up than what he was used to (naturally) so maybe fitness was the reason. Great to hear he is working hard.

Well, Dane Carlaw's endorsed Granville, so we have to put him on the bench now. No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

FORMER Australian and Queensland State of Origin forward Dane Carlaw believes Brisbane Broncos utility Jake Granville has the ability to be an "absolute star" in the NRL.

Granville, who played two games for the Broncos last season but spent majority of his time with the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls in the Queensland Cup, resigned with the club for a second year despite interest from the North Queensland Cowboys.

After getting his feet wet against the Gold Coast Titans and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in 2013, Carlaw said his former back-to-back premiership teammate from the Seagulls should be in line for a bigger role next season. Especially after the retirement of Scott Prince.

"Absolutely, I've got some big raps on Jake and I think after playing those couple of games last season, he knows what to expect and would have improved his game a lot," the six-tests and 13-origins veteran said.

"He would have learnt a lot from last year and Jake is a hell of a player, he's so talented and can play anywhere from hooker, fullback, in the halves an some other positions as well. I think he could be an absolute star in the NRL.

"I've played with a lot of talented guys and there wouldn't be many players that are more explosive than Jake, I doubt there would be anyone quicker out of dummy half than he is.

"This year I believe he should have a bigger role and make a big impact with the Broncos."

Granville helped the injury-riddled Seagulls qualify for the Queensland Cup finals last year and Buchanan said he saw some big improvements in the 24-year-old.

"His defence all year was really good but also I think he picked and chose his times to run the ball a lot better. A while ago I thought sometimes he just ran for the sake of running but he's changed that," he said.

"The biggest area though, was his ability to lead the team around the park, he's never been a huge talker so that was a big improvement that I saw in him.

"I was very surprised we had him for as long as we did last year but I hope that will change this year and Jake gets a bigger opportunity in the NRL."

Seriously though, I think Carlaw's right, we need to see more of Granville off the bench this year. James Segeyaro and Beau Falloon both show how a bench hooker can be effectively used, although I think Segeyaro may be promoted to the starting 13 for the Panthers next season.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Griffo
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Volvo Driver
  • Maddy
  • Foordy
  • john1420
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Manofoneway
  • thenry
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • levikaden
  • Stix
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Inknition
  • BroncosAlways
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.