Greg Eden signs with the Broncos for 2015.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
This is in no way a silly decision by the Broncos. It looks to be a depth signing and if he is as good as Billy Slater it's a massive win for us. It's a strange one for Eden though. If he truly wants to play fullback he should have gone to Raiders or Bulldogs.

Perhaps no other club wanted him.

I'm guessing he is just coming to the Broncos to show to the rest of the comp what he can do and if they show an interest in him, he will go to a club where he has a good chance of cementing a spot at fullback.

I doubt he will be with us in a few years time.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Watched a game between HKR and Castleford on YouTube (the things we do for the love of our club) and he looks pretty useful in broken play but dropped the ball twice inside his own 40 during the first 5 minutes and had it stolen on the line for a Castleford try ... Billy Slater he ain't ...

That sounds like Slater before 2011 or so.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
A really dumb move, in my opinion, depth signing or not. Marmin could've just as well been a depth fullback for us.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
A really dumb move, in my opinion, depth signing or not. Marmin could've just as well been a depth fullback for us.

How is it a dumb move. It doesn't mean marmin will be gone. What's wrong with having plenty of depth options?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
How is it a dumb move. It doesn't mean marmin will be gone. What's wrong with having plenty of depth options?

Because that cap space, as meager as it might be could have been better used elsewhere.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Depth is good, but you really don't need 8 to 10 fullbacks of depth.

A player who is capable of playing a position doesn't necessary mean they have been signed exclusively for that position, where we may be strong in fullbacks it may also be a move to bolster other depth positions like on the wing or in the centre, hell he may even be capable of playing 5/8th, positions they may consider him a contender for. Maranta played the majority of his junior career there and exactly where has the majority of his NRL time been spent? On the wing.

Last edited:
K

koshy

U18 Player
Jul 25, 2014
Re: RUMOR?: Greg Edan released by Hull to join Broncos in 2015

For ****s sake.

Bennett's last signing from the Super League worked wonders...

We don't need him, nor do I want him.

Harvey Howard worked out ok for us?

UKBronco1989

UKBronco1989

Sep 7, 2014
As someone from the UK (and hence I watch Super League every week) I really don't understand this signing. Even if we needed another fullback, Greg Eden is one of the worst currently in Super League =/ Zak Hardaker, Jonny Lomax, Jamie Shaul and Morgan Escare would all have been far better options if the club were after a good young fullback from Super League.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Re: RUMOR?: Greg Edan released by Hull to join Broncos in 2015

Harvey Howard worked out ok for us?

Pretty sure we signed Howard after he left Wests, not out of the SL.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
10671352_10152774194264631_28660606901631757_n.jpg

BRONCOS’ recruit Greg Eden says he will be living a dream when he wings his way from England to Brisbane for pre-season training next month.

While he admits a Queensland summer could pose some challenges for a boy from Castleford, Eden is excited about joining the biggest club in the world.

He is aiming to become the next Englishman to make his mark on the NRL after signing a two-year deal with the Broncos.

“It is something I have wanted to do since I was a kid, so as soon as I got the chance I jumped at it,” Eden said from England this week.

“It is a massive step and a big move for me. I had just bought a house here, so I am moving out and renting it.

“But it is just something I want to do – and I can’t wait.

“It will be just like a dream come true to get this chance, and to be able to come to a club like the Broncos is such a big opportunity.”

At just 23, the 176cm, 94kg Eden has already played 68 English Super League matches as an outside back.

The majority of those have been for Hull Kingston Rovers, where he scored 11 tries in 21 matches this year.

He has been compared to Kangaroos’ fullback Billy Slater by former Dragons’ hooker and English Super League premiership-winning coach Nathan Brown.

“He’s the British version of Billy Slater - that's how Billy Slater was when he was young,” said Brown after a 2012 match for Huddersfield.

Eden has now set his sights on proving he is an NRL-calibre player, despite there being stiff competition at the Broncos for outside backs.

“I’ve played three years in the first team over here, so definitely that is what I aim to be doing,” he said.

“I know that there is a lot of competition for my spot there.

“But I am determined to just get in and have a go.”

But what does he think of the pre-season slog that awaits him, spending hours in temperatures well over 30 degrees?

“It is going to be tough,” he laughed.

“It is 10 degrees in England now and raining so it will be very different.

“I am sure I am going to take a couple of weeks to get used to it.

“But I am also sure the heat will be great for getting me in the best shape possible for the season.”

Eden Aims To Make His Mark - Broncos

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
He's a lot bigger looking in that picture than I thought he was. Could be a good buy.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I wonder if he was signed with a genuine thought of playing him in first grade. I hope he's as good as he's hyped up to be but I doubt it.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I don't see him as anything more than a depth signing. I don't think we will see him in the Broncos side much.

In fact, I can see him leaving the club after the 2 years is up unless he lives up to the hype, which I doubt.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
  • mystico
  • Griffo
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncos4life
  • Stix
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Seibs
  • Skyblues87
  • TimWhatley
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.