Haas - Off Field Dramas

It will be very interesting to see how Haas handles this. It sounds as if he has done nothing other then refuse to dob in/spill all to the NRL integrity unit on an incident in which he wasn’t directly involved in.
I would say pretty much every other club would have kept this in house, rather then standing a player down.

As we all know Haas was wanted by literally every club in the NRL, and chose to stay in Brisbane. Yes he has a long term deal with us, but what do contracts in the NRL mean nowadays anyway..?
I have no doubts that clubs will be watching this and even making enquiries to his manager to see if he would think about switching clubs. He is still very young, and he might not like what the Broncos have done here.
It was well published his close relationship with WB, and I recall him even stating WB was the reason he signed with the club originally, and also extended his stay last year..
This is a massive decision by the Broncos, and hopefully is one that is a warning to the players.

There are no doubts that Seibold has his stance, hopefully its one in which Haas takes the right way, and learns from, otherwise things could get ugly.

Without knowing any of the facts, a young bloke will quickly learn to say, "I didn't see nothing", instead of "I ain't telling you nothing". Life lessons, I guess.

Good point.......you'd have to question the intelligence of whomever he was receiving advice from.

Even if he did refuse to cooperate with the integrity unit, I don't understand how it's their business if he wasn't physically involved. If he said to them "I didn't do anything" and there's no eyewitnesses to testify otherwise, that should be the end of their investigation.

What is the NRL integrity unit doing? Attempting to coerce him in to giving statements against his brother / sister that they can forward to the police? Like... what...

Last edited:
Even if he did refuse to cooperate with the integrity unit, I don't understand how it's their business if he wasn't physically involved. If he said to them "I didn't do anything" and there's no eyewitnesses to testify otherwise, that should be the end of their investigation.

What is the NRL integrity unit doing? Attempting to coerce him in to giving statements against his brother / sister that they can forward to the police? Like... what...

He wouldn't talk to them....all he had to do was engage with their request, and then plead the 5th. Job done.

He wouldn't talk to them....all he had to do was engage with their request, and then plead the 5th. Job done.
So he got suspended for saying he doesn't want to talk to them but if he said yeah I'm glad you called but I have nothing to say it would be all good? That's a 4 game suspension and 10k fine worthy?

It's a joke of a suspension. So we're suspending players based on etiquette. You'd think that's where a talking to and a warning is appropriate. The guy just turned 19, he's hardly an old guy who's been around and understands the political bullshit.

BTW, I think you're dead right I'm just really disappointed the club would be so harsh on a young kind when there's 100 other ways to tell him he fucked up. They could have explained it to him and he could have called the NRL dictator unit and apologised the next morning.

Last edited:
So he got suspended for saying he doesn't want to talk to them but if he said yeah I'm glad you called but I have nothing to say it would be all good? That's a 4 game suspension and 10k fine worthy?

It's a joke of a suspension. So we're suspending players based on etiquette. You'd think that's where a talking to and a warning is appropriate. The guy just turned 19, he's hardly an old guy who's been around and understands the political bullshit.

BTW, I think you're dead right I'm just really disappointed the club would be so harsh on a young kind when there's 100 other ways to tell him he fucked up. They could have explained it to him and he could have called the NRL dictator unit and apologised the next morning.

I just would have said, 'Pigsy, what can I say man? I've got to maintain 117kegs and the heat up here has been brutal. I was destroying a half dozen chicko rolls and chips and then it all erupted around me. Blokes everywhere. I couldn't tell you who did what if I tried. I have no idea what was going on. I told the club about it when next I saw them. They told me to go easy on the chicko rolls...'

I guess we'll have to find out as information becomes more clear as to why he decided to refuse to be interviewed.

At this point the club has failed him by a) not being able to make him understand why he should not refuse the request and then b) by fining him for the eventual refusal.

Perhaps the hard stance is because they did all they could to persuade him....and he still refused.......which is a dumb **** move on his part.

Disappointing all round.

That's a tough blow for Brisbane, especially coming up against teams like Melbourne and North Queensland where his size would have been useful for winning the ruck. It's essentially a five week (two trials, three round games) suspension when you take into account the likelihood of Haas having to start the year in ISC to work his way into form. That's bare minumum as well, if the Broncos start well, we may not see Haas until a month or two into the season.

Sadly, it's always the fantasy coaches who always suffer.

I just would have said, 'Pigsy, what can I say man? I've got to maintain 117kegs and the heat up here has been brutal. I was destroying a half dozen chicko rolls and chips and then it all erupted around me. Blokes everywhere. I couldn't tell you who did what if I tried. I have no idea what was going on. I told the club about it when next I saw them. They told me to go easy on the chicko rolls...'
This should be standard response from all NRL players from now. I approve of it.

The Broncos reported the incidents to the NRL Integrity Unit, crimes that Haas witnessed. It's pretty clear he was expected to cooperate with the investigation and he refused to.

It's also against the rules for players to refuse to cooperate with the NRL Integrity Unit. Failure to do so will result in fine or suspension, or even both.

These aren't allegations. It's been proven.

The Broncos reported the incidents to the NRL Integrity Unit, crimes that Haas witnessed. It's pretty clear he was expected to cooperate with the investigation and he refused to.

It's also against the rules for players to refuse to cooperate with the NRL Integrity Unit. Failure to do so will result in fine or suspension, or even both.

These aren't allegations. It's been proven.

I would agree with him being suspended had he been involved and not cooperated but it doesn’t sound like he’s done anything wrong. The club suspending him just gives the media something to blow out of proportion.

We've paid millions for a guy who has been suspended more games than he has played.

This isn't an isolated incident. This is multiple incidents and the kid isn't cooperating.

Kid needs the right people around him and get smart , quick.

We have spent 12 years spending big money on players who haven't delivered and we carried a few of the worst contracts in the NRL last year , including Bird and Boyd.

Youre getting paid millions, act like you deserve it.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • davidp
  • Financeguy
  • cento
  • Mustafur
  • Foordy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Justwin
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Astro
  • ChewThePhatt
  • thenry
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • Redux
  • Browny
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncorob
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.