Have the Titans just saved Brisbane from itself?

This. Even if we don’t get these players. Word will get around to the best players in the business that The Broncos are on the hunt. If you throw enough bait out, you’ll eventually catch a fish. We’ll also inflate other teams’ salary caps.

100% this . Roosters shouldnt get away with paying 900k for Keary. Storm shouldnt get away with what they're going to pay Harry. It's time to target key positions in successful teams and make those teams pay for them.

Last edited:
Grant is under contract for two more years at the Storm- he has a deal his money isn't changing when he goes back.
A deal with exit clauses.

But - my point is the same for many stars - go after the big names with a million dollar carrot. Time for other clubs to feel the pinch.

But - my point is the same for many stars - go after the big names with a million dollar carrot. Time for other clubs to feel the pinch.

But if he was to be able to leave the Storm he would have to negotiate a new deal- it wouldn't affect the Storm at all- he's not staying so won't drive the price up on them. They're not buying the house.

He's not leaving anyway.

Storm did everything they could to help him get some football, they even tried a stint in England on loan he knows that and as I have said he has so many family links at the Storm.

But if he was to be able to leave the Storm he would have to negotiate a new deal- it wouldn't affect the Storm at all- he's not staying so won't drive the price up on them. They're not buying the house.

He's not leaving anyway.

Storm did everything they could to help him get some football, they even tried a stint in England on loan he knows that and as I have said he has so many family links at the Storm.
So we go for Cam?

I think that's 0 too- I just can't see him leaving Melbourne. But I said that about Cooper too.
Is there any thing happening around the club that’s worth being optimistic about?

You had his Mum acting as a quasi-agent on his behalf...she had no idea what she was doing but was tring to help her son with his biggest life decision so far..
Everyone still underestimates the role his poor old dumb bunny mum played in this.

To me she knew exactly what she was doing and did it better than everyone else. She pulled everybodys pants down and negotiated her 20 yr old rookie son to being the highest paid player in the game. She held firm under some pretty big offers and heaps of pressure from every angle.

I doubt it was an accident and not one person has given her any credit.

And do it for guys you also actually really want to get:

1. Grant
2. Keary
3. RTS

You can't just say don't go after Grant because he won't leave Melbourne. Fifita wasn't leaving Brisbane remember?

Brisbane has to stop playing the short game, they suck at it. Go the long game. Drive the price up, even if it doesn't affect them in the short-term, drive the price up so they have to pay more when he does need to re-sign.

Now I know I just said plan long-term but I am going to somewhat contradict myself because they need some urgent signings to provide some experience. Go for guys who can help in the short-term BUT are NOT on big wages (unless they could somehow get Smith). So while you are chasing Grant / Keary / RTS, bring in the foundation strengthening guys around them, so next year run out:

1. Drinkwater
2. Farnworth
3. Staggs
4. Opacic
5. Coates
6. Green
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Carrigan
11. Glenn (c)
12. TPJ
13. Macca

14. Paix
15. Lodge
16. Flegler
17. Bullemor / Riki (Alternate these guys to get one / both ready to start for 2022)

Other guys that would be good to look at but not break the bank account on - McLean, Lui, Su'A, Allan - bring back the farm, the ones who are not stars and/or demanding big money.

If the club can't bring in Grant / Smith, I would seriously target bringing back Hunt in 2022 if Turpin / Paix don't kick on for whatever reason in 2021, but not on anywhere near what Hunt is on now and only to play 9.

I think that's 0 too- I just can't see him leaving Melbourne. But I said that about Cooper too.
That worked out really well for the Roosters, but Cronk was the cherry on top instead of trying to bake the whole cake himself which Cam Smith (Smithy) kinda would be at the Broncs next year.

Pies recently mentioned playing the long game, which is just wonderful advice and strategy, the risk is that in reality what is happening is that the games currently being played are the shortest of the short kind and a signing Cam Smith on 1 year seems like an intended short term fix to me, that boat has truly sailed.. he's 37 odd isn't he!? Keep the powder dry... be patient.... that would be long term thinking...

Last edited:
That worked out really well for the Roosters, but Cronk was the cherry on top instead of trying to bake the whole cake himself which Cam Smith (Smithy) kinda would be at the Broncs next year.

Pies recently mentioned playing the long game, which is just wonderful advice and strategy, the risk is that in reality what is happening is the games being played are the shortest of the short kind at the moment and a signing like Smith on 1 year seems like that to me, keep the powder dry... be patient.... that would be long term thinking...

At the Broncos, playing the long game is code for please leave us alone, criticism hurts.

Now I know I just said plan long-term but I am going to somewhat contradict myself because they need some urgent signings to provide some experience. Go for guys who can help in the short-term BUT are NOT on big wages (unless they could somehow get Smith). So while you are chasing Grant / Keary / RTS, bring in the foundation strengthening guys around them, so next year run out:

1. Drinkwater
2. Farnworth
3. Staggs
4. Opacic
5. Coates
6. Green
7. Dearden
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Carrigan
11. Glenn (c)
12. TPJ
13. Macca

14. Paix
15. Lodge
16. Flegler
17. Bullemor / Riki (Alternate these guys to get one / both ready to start for 2022)

Other guys that would be good to look at but not break the bank account on - McLean, Lui, Su'A, Allan - bring back the farm, the ones who are not stars and/or demanding big money.

If the club can't bring in Grant / Smith, I would seriously target bringing back Hunt in 2022 if Turpin / Paix don't kick on for whatever reason in 2021, but not on anywhere near what Hunt is on now and only to play 9.

Drinkwater brought in to play the 1 would be interesting, and by that i mean, interesting to see what Niu thinks of it..

You could say a signing like that would see him pack up bags and move to the Titans end of 2021. Which means another barrage of media comments about how we cant hold onto our own talent...

But, i dont give a shit; its called competition, and a NRL standard club has that all over the park. If Nius performances cant display the Drinkwaters of this world, then whats he really doing here anyway..?

In the above, id look to Niu to accept that challenge to better his game and take the number 1 jumper and not give it back.

It would be of great interest to witness the reaction should a signing like that come to pass...

Last edited:
Drinkwater brought in to play the 1 would be interesting, and by that i mean, interesting to see what Niu thinks of it..

You could say a signing like that would see him pack up bags and move to the Titans end of 2021. Which means another barrage of media comments about how we cant hold onto our own talent...

But, i dont give a shit; its called competition, and a NRL standard club has that all over the park. If Nius performances cant display the Drinkwaters of this world, then whats he really doing here anyway..?

In the above, id look to Niu to accept that challenge to better his game and take the number 1 jumper and not give it back.

It would be of great interest to witness the reaction should a signing like that come to pass...
He’s going to the titans anyway.... would love to go after brimson.

it could cut both ways....Fifitas tried to do ths without hurting anyone but thats out of his hands...

I just hope the pressure of whats expected now doesnt crush the guys career like it did to Taylor...

I hope the opposite.
This is a potentially star player who will be playing for a team other than the Broncos.
Of course I don't want him playing the house down.
Can't understand anybody who would.

Pies recently mentioned playing the long game, which is just wonderful advice and strategy, the risk is that in reality what is happening is that the games currently being played are the shortest of the short kind and a signing Cam Smith on 1 year seems like an intended short term fix to me, that boat has truly sailed.. he's 37 odd isn't he!? Keep the powder dry... be patient.... that would be long term thinking...
Smith would do wonders for the culture of the club even if for a year, he'd be worth it at any price for any length of contract really. He's a freak and an absolute leader off the field too

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Hurrijo
  • Griffo
  • Mustafur
  • Wild Horse
  • MrRobot
  • Organix
  • bb_gun
  • Pablo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.