NEWS He’s been lauded the Broncos’ slumbering talent. Is now the time to test Mozer?

BHQArticleImageLarge99

So much hype surrounds Blake Mozer, it is difficult to believe he has just three NRL appearances to his name.

But based on his efforts for the Broncos in his last outing, the time has come to ask whether he needs to be parachuted into the side full-time.

The 20-year-old hooker rose through the junior ranks as one of the elite schoolboys players at Keebra Park State High School.

Lauded in some circles as a young man similar to the great Cameron Smith in terms of game style, Mozer has been largely kept back and given time to develop his craft in the Queensland Cup.

But on his return in the recent defeat to the Dragons, Mozer demonstrated he was up to the task of regular first-grade.

His side trailed 28-6 when he joined the fray with half an hour remaining. The Broncos would score the next four tries, desperately close to a remarkable comeback.

Mozer’s service for Ezra Mam to score was perfect – a wide ball straight into his hands on the run to allow the five-eighth to hit the defensive line at speed and charge over.

He then showed great strength to claim his first NRL try at close range, while his ability to engage ruck defenders opened space out wide for Kotoni Staggs to get the Broncos within four points at the death.

Mozer finished with a try, two linebreaks, 36 metres and 23 tackles, leading coach Kevin Walters to admit the time had come to consider handing him more responsibility.

“We’ll look at that, but Blake’s just one player. Blake was really good [in that game], so that was pleasing for him, and I’m really happy for him because he’s been waiting for an opportunity,” Walters said after the loss to the Red V.

“He certainly grabbed it really well, so well done to him.”

Mozer has been named to take the field again against the Bulldogs on Saturday, after Brendan Piakura suffered a quad complaint. But he will do so from the interchange bench.

While Mozer has been stuck behind starting rake Billy Walters and interchange dummy-half Tyson Smoothy, the reality is Brisbane looked a much greater attacking threat when the youngster was on the field.

Smoothy was moved to lock for the Dragons clash to cover the absence of State of Origin middles Pat Carrigan and Payne Haas, finishing with 88 metres and 51 tackles for just one miss.

Whether that is a long-term ploy, which would involve moving Carrigan up front with Haas, remains to be seen.

Walters’ men will need to win five of their final six games just to remain in the finals reckoning, so they will need to keep rival sides guessing.

Billy Walters admits the idea of moving Smoothy to the forward rotation might not be a consistent ploy, and was designed out of necessity.

But he said Mozer’s presence kept him on his toes, and the youngster’s chance to cement his place would beckon should one of the starting dummy-halves falter.

“Although it was in a losing side, he was one of our best players,” Billy Walters said. “It’s definitely putting the pressure on me and Tyson to hold our spots, but that’s what you need to be playing your best footy.”

Sydney Morning Herald

what was so great that he should be starting based on tonights performance?
I felt like Mozer lifted the tempo when he came on, he brought some real energy and I thought his passing in general was much better. I thought Billy was fine today, I'm not one of the ones calling for his head simply because his last name is Walters, I just want the best player to be wearing the jersey and I thought Mozer brought more to the team than Billy did today.

Just FYI ... We scored less tries and conceded more tried when Mozer was at hooker

Just saying
Can't compare different stages of the game, different players on the field, etc etc.

Well....we're staring at the shit end of the stick

why not try

9. Mozer
14. Walters

Tyson's out.

Your being very selective in your thread contributions. There's a Kevin or post match thread...mozer is the future, Billy can soak up the punishment.

What do you think of Kevin Walter's future at the club?

I'm staying out of that thread, because it is plain stupid to be questioning his future at this stage. I won't go into too much detail because this isn't the thread for it.

on Mozer ...

Yes we appear to have gone all in on Mozer.
Yes he looks to be a talented player. there is plenty to like about him.

BUT, that doesn't mean he should be (or is ready to be) our full time starting hooker.

I suspect we'll start to see more of him and we'll be able to judge more accurately if the clubs decision to go all in on him was warranted. if he isn't on the bench for the rest of the year (barring injury) i think he'll be a permanent fixture on the bench in 2025.

The reaction (or should I say over-reaction) to Kevvie bringing Mozer along slowly (as all the great coaches would) has been nothing short of comical, and I'm willing to bet that most haven't been watching him closely in the QLD cup. People have been reacting like Kevvie has Cameron Smith (in his prime) at his disposal but has been refusing to play him.

I'm staying out of that thread, because it is plain stupid to be questioning his future at this stage. I won't go into too much detail because this isn't the thread for it.

on Mozer ...

Yes we appear to have gone all in on Mozer.
Yes he looks to be a talented player. there is plenty to like about him.

BUT, that doesn't mean he should be (or is ready to be) our full time starting hooker.

I suspect we'll start to see more of him and we'll be able to judge more accurately if the clubs decision to go all in on him was warranted. if he isn't on the bench for the rest of the year (barring injury) i think he'll be a permanent fixture on the bench in 2025.

The reaction (or should I say over-reaction) to Kevvie bringing Mozer along slowly (as all the great coaches would) has been nothing short of comical, and I'm willing to bet that most haven't been watching him closely in the QLD cup. People have been reacting like Kevvie has Cameron Smith (in his prime) at his disposal but has been refusing to play him.
Great response

I too don't know if mozer is the answer. Billy has been serviceable

As for Kevin. Thoroughly outclassed by Ciraldo tonight. Kevin was forlorn. He knew it.

Great response

I too don't know if mozer is the answer. Billy has been serviceable

As for Kevin. Thoroughly outclassed by Ciraldo tonight. Kevin was forlorn. He knew it.

going off a post from 1910, sounds like the team didn't follow Kevvie's game plan, So I'm not sure the blame is in the right place with Kevvie. should be more on Reynolds shoulders as he is our halfback, leader and game manager.

going off a post from 1910, sounds like the team didn't follow Kevvie's game plan, So I'm not sure the blame is in the right place with Kevvie. should be more on Reynolds shoulders as he is our halfback, leader and game manager.
To sell a great lie, you need a great amount of truth. Why Reynolds kicks short on a drop outs, when he's just so bad at it.

The grand final when doing so gives me PTSD.

The Broncos are a bottom 4 team without Reynolds. Mam and Reece don't have a career without him. Kevin wouldn't be coach in the NRL without Reynolds.

Reynolds doesn't look happy to me. Maybe he was brought back too early to try to save the season. Cobbo looks broken.

The Dogs played like they really wanted this. We on the other hand were passive. So many dumb plays, looks ad hoc. Line speed crap. So many free metres given away.

We look aimless, tired, unmotivated. The lack of self belief is back. Kevvie really needs to stand up and kick ass.

We’re almost giving Reynolds too much credit at this point. He was halfback in a grand final where we were up by 16 and we lost. He’s not the guy.

I’ve been very diplomatic up until this point because people push back so hard around this topic to the point it isn’t worth the discussion.

However, it’s my opinion that Smoothy is a far better hooker than Walters. He may not chance his arm the way Billy does but when it comes to applying the dummy half trade, he outclasses Walters in most regards.

I’m not claiming nepotism, that’s a hill someone else can die on. I just really don’t agree with selecting Billy over Smoothy. Billy’s service and decision making can generously be described as highly inconsistent, or less generously as poor. He has a real negative impact on our attack, consistently.

The "every" metric he refers to is really only one metric:
* Not named Billy Walters:
- Billy Walters: 0
- Blake Mozer: 1
Hasn't this denial run its course?

Mozers service was so much better than Walters, but by the time he got on, the game was well and truly over.

I’d love to see Mozer get some game time in the first half.

22-10 when he came on, definitely not great but hardly call that well and truly over.

When a coach is unable to get the team to take any notice of him, it's called "LOSING THE DRESSING ROOM."

This is the most damning indictment against Walters I've read to date. If the evil clickbaiters repeat what you've said, it's all over. Best you keep this quiet. You know they read everything you post.

When a coach is unable to get the team to take any notice of him, it's called "LOSING THE DRESSING ROOM."

This is the most damning indictment against Walters I've read to date. If the evil clickbaiters repeat what you've said, it's all over. Best you keep this quiet. You know they read everything you post.

They clearly aren’t listening to Reynolds either and he’s the one that gets all the credit around here. Sounds like it might more be about super dumb players than coaches.

They clearly aren’t listening to Reynolds either and he’s the one that gets all the credit around here. Sounds like it might more be about super dumb players than coaches.
Well this is a prelude to another long term projection: one where Kevvie is gone and Reynolds has been lured with the promise of being his assistant coach. File this in the same "attack McHunt" folder (along with one day Kev will have to drop his son) in the looming disasters you can see coming a mile off.

Bottom line: if Kev goes, Reynolds probably follows.

Well this is a prelude to another long term projection: one where Kevvie is gone and Reynolds has been lured with the promise of being his assistant coach. File this in the same "attack McHunt" folder (along with one day Kev will have to drop his son) in the looming disasters you can see coming a mile off.

Bottom line: if Kev goes, Reynolds probably follows.
I can see a world where Reynolds returns to the bunnies in a coaching capacity

I don't think Mozer is ready or should start games just yet. Billy should start then go for 20 minutes before being replaced by Mozer. Billy can then be a utility replacement for the rest of the game.

Billy puts in 110% every game but he looks like a half trying to play hooker. His passing game from dummy half is often not accurate and he oddly for an ex half seems to struggle with passing long. The other thing that hurts our attack is when he stands before passing causing the runners to pull up slightly so they don't over run him. Most hookers (besides Cam Smith) pass directly from the ground for a reason.

Billy isn't the reason we played so poorly yesterday but small steps need to be taken to improve this team. Put it this way would any other team swap their 9 for either Billy or Smoothy?

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • broncos4life
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Dash
  • Big Del
  • Wolfie
  • Redfern_1980
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Spooky1013
  • Brocko
  • Waynesaurus
  • levikaden
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • azza.79
  • Manifesto
  • Locky's Left Boot
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.