Let the off season review begin

How long, on average does an apprenticeship last for an assistant coach to move up the ranks to a head coach role?

First order of business: Sack the R&R team, all of them, even if that includes the CEO and freaking Lockyer.

Second order of business: Back Walters but look carefully in the background and exhaustively to identify and recruit the best fitness coach, defense coach, skills coach and head coach. This MUST be done correctly and be given the right amount of time.

Third order of business: Clean out the dead wood, pea hearts - I'm looking at you Hetherington, Walters, Baker, heck even Riki needs to have a stern talking too and Cobbo. Chase Horsbrough, Welch, Sexton and a metre eating back

Fourth order of business: From the start of preseason, flog these blokes as hard as you can, punish anyone who drops an icecream, make them go out and work on the tools for a month, anyone who cuts corners is sacked, don't care who they are.

Fifth order of business: Sack our medical team and sign the Lions'.

Wouldnt Kevvie be a part of that Recruitment team?

Fitting really 6 of the 10 worst performances have been in the past 10 years. interesting also some of our best attack was 1998,2000-2005... :O

Don't watch Qcup but surely there's a metre eating outside back and a hard running backrower in PNG
With all the talk of Sivo, Rawalawa etc…
Why can’t we just pluck a young Fijian in the Marika, Vunivalu mould from Fiji and bring them through the system here?!
They work hard, run the hundred like lighting and wouldn’t cost much. Their rugby 7s juniors or league juniors surely have a dozen decent prospects…

With all the talk of Sivo, Rawalawa etc…
Why can’t we just pluck a young Fijian in the Marika, Vunivalu mould from Fiji and bring them through the system here?!
They work hard, run the hundred like lighting and wouldn’t cost much. Their rugby 7s juniors or league juniors surely have a dozen decent prospects…
And to your point @Johnny92, the same goes for PNG. A couple of giant wingers that are solid under the high ball, eat meters out of their own half and can defend.

As for the back row
There has to be the next Rhys Martin waiting to be signed 😂

Tele article this morning saying the main focus points of your club's review starting tomorrow will be "recruitment, salary cap and list management, high-performance program and players’ relationship with Walters". Interestingly, Donaghy, Walters and Reynolds are leading the review.

Shouldn't a review have some component of a non-biased, external lens included? Not sure having Kevvie helping to lead it is going to reveal anything too objective. 'She'll be right' would be Kev's answer to most questions posed on how to fix things next season I dare say lol.

1. Cobbo allow to leave immediately
2. Oates do not extend
3. Taupau do not extend
4. Hetherington allow to leave immediately
5. Jock Madden, encourage a trip to the super league
6. Try and get rid of at least 1 of Paix, Walters, or Smoothy

1. Sign Welch and Gagai.
2. See if Titans would let Palasia back
3. Speak with our mates at the Warriors about a 1 year player swap of Piakura and Capewell

Team:

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Gagai (VC3)
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Welch (VC)
9. Walters / Smoothy
10. Haas
11. Capewell (VC2)
12. Riki
13. Patty (VC4)

14. Mozer
15. Jensen
16. Palasia
17. Willison

Gagai won’t be coming. He just re-signed with the knights.

I haven't posted properly on BHQ in a few years, but I still watch every single game of NRL every weekend. I'll share my thoughts on a couple of glaring issues with this team.

Problem 1)

Our middle forward rotation is too big and too immobile. Take a look around the NRL at the moment, the middle forwards who've had breakout performances over the last 24 months are as follows: Max Plath, Connor Watson, Josh Curran, J'maine Hopgood, Reuben Cotter, etc.

They're all undersized. The biggest players on this list are Curran & Hopgood who both play at a little over 100kg. Our forward pack has no variability. Jensen, Haas, Carrigan, Willison, Te Kura, Baker, Taupau, Hunt.

The only middle forward on our entire roster who fits the mould of the way the modern NRL is going is Kobe Hetherington, who is underutilised, undervalued, and seemingly being told to find a new club. In my opinion, we should've been starting Haas & Carrigan at prop, with Hetherington playing big minutes at lock. Hetherington is our best defensive middle, and it's not particularly close. He moves well laterally and has the motor to make repeat efforts. He almost won us the Grand Final last year with his defensive clean-up work.

We're going to lose the middle most weeks next year (outside of the anomaly weeks where we get a roll-on early due to mistakes from the opposition or yardage penalties), unless we make drastic roster changes. I like Corey Horsburgh, but he's more of the same, not great laterally in the middle. We need to recruit several smaller bodies in the middle, and when recruiting them, we need to focus on motor, defensive technique and character. Hard workers. We have enough strike everywhere else that we don't need game breaking forwards to partner with Haas & Carrigan. We need to surround them with big minute, hard working, great defenders.

Problem 2)

We have no yardage from our outside backs. This goes hand in hand with Problem 1. The reason we've felt the need to recruit so many big middle forwards is because our outside backs are low work rate, lazy players. Our roster is constructed completely opposite to the way that the modern NRL is trending. Look at what the Bulldogs have done this year, they figured out the way to go about 24 months ago and have been building the roster around it. Their entire forward pack is undersized, almost exclusively hard working, high character players. They've got the yardage problem completely solved by having Kiraz, Tracey, Xerri, Skelton at the back, all of whom run for 150m+ every week, most of which is in post-contact metres. They've even had Addo-Carr put on about 5kg of muscle in recent years to help with his work out of his own end.

Now compare and contrast that to our current back 5 -

Walsh, Arthars, Staggs, Cobbo, Mariner.

There isn't a single player on that list I would say has an above average work ethic, or ability to make post-contact metres out of trouble. Arthars, Staggs & Mariner are barely hitting 100 metres per game, a lot of which are stat padded by free running metres when Walsh puts them in gaps. Cobbo is marginally better, but he has close to the most inconsistent work rate in the NRL. Some games he's running 18 times for 230 metres, other games he's running 9 times for 65 metres. And then there's Walsh, who has probably overtaken Latrell and Drinkwater as the laziest Fullback in the NRL this season. And don't even try to pull the "well he's an undersized Fullback so that's why he doesn't run very often", because I'll just present to you the stats of Keano Kini.

Once again - we need to make some tough calls, and recruit better.

I could probably name about 15 other problems, but this is a good place to start.
All good points.
I just want to tack on another issue which ties into your two points.
Since we always lose the ruck and have no line speed , we concede such cheap metres.
This allows our opponents to almost always put up a bomb and with a good kick chase we basically lose a tackle every set.
Then problems one and two above manifest…
Then we put in a long kick from inside our half and our opponent gets a free 10-15m and a quick play the ball and the vicious cycle begins. This is why we have basically no time in possession.

1. Cobbo allow to leave immediately
2. Oates do not extend
3. Taupau do not extend
4. Hetherington allow to leave immediately
5. Jock Madden, encourage a trip to the super league
6. Try and get rid of at least 1 of Paix, Walters, or Smoothy

1. Sign Welch and Gagai.
2. See if Titans would let Palasia back
3. Speak with our mates at the Warriors about a 1 year player swap of Piakura and Capewell

Team:

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Gagai (VC3)
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Welch (VC)
9. Walters / Smoothy
10. Haas
11. Capewell (VC2)
12. Riki
13. Patty (VC4)

14. Mozer
15. Jensen
16. Palasia
17. Willison
Some pretty good ideas but wow a club would have to be even dumber than us to want anything to do with Piakura

Tele article this morning saying the main focus points of your club's review starting tomorrow will be "recruitment, salary cap and list management, high-performance program and players’ relationship with Walters". Interestingly, Donaghy, Walters and Reynolds are leading the review.

Shouldn't a review have some component of a non-biased, external lens included? Not sure having Kevvie helping to lead it is going to reveal anything too objective. 'She'll be right' would be Kev's answer to most questions posed on how to fix things next season I dare say lol.
Kev has some "strong thoughts" on how to fix things though.

Kev has some "strong thoughts" on how to fix things though.
I am almost certain this comment was in relation to SOO derailing our season.
I’m really beginning to dislike him.

So what would his thoughts be you reckon 🤣 "Sign English and Kiwi players"
No, that would actually be clever and insightful.
His thoughts are that it’s not his fault but the NRLs fault and that something should change for teams affected by origin.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • theshed
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Dash
  • Johnny92
  • Robboi_321
  • Foordy
  • Behind enemy lines
  • PETERN
  • ettybay
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.