Let the off season review begin

Kevin Walters - “I have a real clear, well thought out plan on how to fix the club and on how we will win the comp next year”
Also Kevvie -

So according to the Courier Mail NRL Rich List we have the following contacts on the books.

Haas $1.1 Million
Reynolds $800k (ends this season)
Carrigan $750k
Staggs $700k ( off contract 2025)
Mam $650k ( 5 year deal) Goes up next year.
Cobbo $650k ( off contract 2025)

The one thing for me is how much we're paying Cobbo. Crazy money for a kid so young who has played some good footy but not really shown the professionalism required.

Staggs on big $$ but has shown more than Cobbo , is older and was viewed as a potential multi position player at re-signing.

Mam upgraded from $240k last season

You can see the Storm have Munster ($1.5M) , Paps (900k), Grant ($950K), Nelson ($900k), Hughes ($750k) also.

I think Haas has to come down in price for his next contract and we need to let these young blokes like Cobbo go if they want the big $ before they've done anything.

Time to make tough calls.

The one thing for me is how much we're paying Cobbo. Crazy money for a kid so young who has played some good footy but not really shown the professionalism required.
I think the Cobbo extension came in 2021 or 22???

At that point we didn't know Walsh was coming back and probably had zero indication it would be happening... Cobbo was looking like he would become our long term fullback at that point.

Tele article this morning saying the main focus points of your club's review starting tomorrow will be "recruitment, salary cap and list management, high-performance program and players’ relationship with Walters". Interestingly, Donaghy, Walters and Reynolds are leading the review.

Shouldn't a review have some component of a non-biased, external lens included? Not sure having Kevvie helping to lead it is going to reveal anything too objective. 'She'll be right' would be Kev's answer to most questions posed on how to fix things next season I dare say lol.

Having Kev on the review panel, is like allowing the fox to be in charge of the hen house.

If
So according to the Courier Mail NRL Rich List we have the following contacts on the books.

Haas $1.1 Million
Carrigan $750k

Staggs on big $$ but has shown more than Cobbo , is older and was viewed as a potential multi position player at re-signing.

You can see the Storm have Munster ($1.5M) , Paps (900k), Grant ($950K), Nelson ($900k), Hughes ($750k) also.

I think Haas has to come down in price for his next contract and we need to let these young blokes like Cobbo go if they want the big $ before they've done anything.

If this is the extent of our rich list where does the perception of our cap being out off balance come from. 6 players doesn't seem excessive.. seems on par with other clubs...we must have our share of minimum wage players as well. The list started with players at 600k so the bulk of our squad sits under that. Isn't the cap 12 million now.. I feel like our poor cap position is a bit overstated much like how young our team is...I don't see us worse off in either of these areas than most clubs... just more mirrors to shield our shit house performances of late.

Having Kev on the review panel, is like allowing the fox to be in charge of the hen house.
Yep. Especially when he has already come out in the media and guaranteed Reyno would remain as captain 100% next season.. Shouldn't these types of crucial decisions be discussed/made after the review?

I think the Cobbo extension came in 2021 or 22???

At that point we didn't know Walsh was coming back and probably had zero indication it would be happening... Cobbo was looking like he would become our long term fullback at that point.
It is still just too much. We've gotta be more sensible with our $$. We've probably just upgraded Riki and Piakura into the $600k mark too. Just ludicrous and mismanagement.

Yep. Especially when he has already come out in the media and guaranteed Reyno would remain as captain 100% next season.. Shouldn't these types of crucial decisions be discussed/made after the review?

I'm sure they will be. Everyone including Kevvie was in survival mode end of season and just trying to do whatever they could to back each other up. Take anything said in the last few weeks for next year with a grain of salt.

I don’t really think there is any point of stripping Reyno of the captaincy, he’s still clearly the most experienced player we have and he’ll most likely retire at the end of next year anyway

Pete Badel on the radio yesterday

Any time I see the words "James Magnussen" on the screen, I think of self hyped flop. They called him "The Missile" (he probably called himself that at some point), he didn't win shit when it counted. I don't know how this bloke has made a career out of his failures as an athlete.

Haas $1.1 Million
Carrigan $750k

I don’t think Munster would be on 1.5, I’m pretty sure that’s what the dolphins were offering him

First order of business: Sack the R&R team, all of them, even if that includes the CEO and freaking Lockyer.

Second order of business: Back Walters but look carefully in the background and exhaustively to identify and recruit the best fitness coach, defense coach, skills coach and head coach. This MUST be done correctly and be given the right amount of time.

Third order of business: Clean out the dead wood, pea hearts - I'm looking at you Hetherington, Walters, Baker, heck even Riki needs to have a stern talking too and Cobbo. Chase Horsbrough, Welch, Sexton and a metre eating back

Fourth order of business: From the start of preseason, flog these blokes as hard as you can, punish anyone who drops an icecream, make them go out and work on the tools for a month, anyone who cuts corners is sacked, don't care who they are.

Fifth order of business: Sack our medical team and sign the Lions'.
Fookin hell.....Sproj for CEO!

If

If this is the extent of our rich list where does the perception of our cap being out off balance come from. 6 players doesn't seem excessive.. seems on par with other clubs...we must have our share of minimum wage players as well. The list started with players at 600k so the bulk of our squad sits under that. Isn't the cap 12 million now.. I feel like our poor cap position is a bit overstated much like how young our team is...I don't see us worse off in either of these areas than most clubs... just more mirrors to shield our shit house performances of late.

As that stands, it's not awful, but it's the looming contracts for Walsh and to a lesser extent Willison and Mozer on top of those, suddenly you've used at least half your cap on 9 players out of 30

As that stands, it's not awful, but it's the looming contracts for Walsh and to a lesser extent Willison and Mozer on top of those, suddenly you've used at least half your cap on 9 players out of 30
Its simple then. Sign Walsh and Mozer and let Wilison walk if he wants to much.

Don't know how you ended up on Willison being the problem in all that but anyway
More of who is the priority out of the signings. We have forwards especially front rowers coming off the production line quite easy, the 1 and the 9 though are the important positions in the team that we have failed to produce consistently for a very long time especially at 9

Tele article this morning saying the main focus points of your club's review starting tomorrow will be "recruitment, salary cap and list management, high-performance program and players’ relationship with Walters". Interestingly, Donaghy, Walters and Reynolds are leading the review.

Shouldn't a review have some component of a non-biased, external lens included? Not sure having Kevvie helping to lead it is going to reveal anything too objective. 'She'll be right' would be Kev's answer to most questions posed on how to fix things next season I dare say lol.
Yeah, this seems a bit weird. I'd have preferred a team of Billy Slater, Brad Thorn & someone with managerial experience whether it's a politician or someone else.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Waynesaurus
  • scobie
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Gaz
  • Xarr
  • Shane Tronc
  • LittleDavey
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.