Let the off season review begin

To be completely honest, this was kevvies fault because we have seen potential that can win a premiership, and poor old bloke just didn't have it. I guess he changed his tactics because last year's ideas wasn't "premiership winning" but I think he regrets it now. Still a bronx fan but if this is the way he will coach and how the players will play, we'll be participating in the spoon bowl.

To be completely honest, this was kevvies fault because we have seen potential that can win a premiership, and poor old bloke just didn't have it. I guess he changed his tactics because last year's ideas wasn't "premiership winning" but I think he regrets it now. Still a bronx fan but if this is the way he will coach and how the players will play, we'll be participating in the spoon bowl.
It would be hard to use the same tactics that got you to the GF when instead of Walsh and Reynolds you've got Sailor and Madden/Rogers.
Big difference in the quality of the players and being your 2 main guys this is important.

It would be hard to use the same tactics that got you to the GF when instead of Walsh and Reynolds you've got Sailor and Madden/Rogers.
Big difference in the quality of the players and being your 2 main guys this is important.

Look I agree to some extent, but I'm sure Kev would be the first to tell you that's no excuse because everyone in the squad is NRL quality and we should be winning games regardless of who takes the field.

And he'd be right. Yes there is a drop in quality from Walsh to Sailor, and Reyno to Madden/Rogers. Our game plan needs to take that into account. This is the "structure" that some of us on here keep banging about which seem to still be non-existent 4yrs into Kev's tenure.

There's a huge drop in quality from Cleary to Penrith's backup halves as well. Muster/Hughes to their backup halves. When you have star players in the squad of course there's usually a drop in quality. The game plans must accommodate those changes - we would have been without Walsh for weeks over Origin anyway. Reyno has spent time on the sidelines every year he's been here. These aren't unforeseeable, I'd say these are guaranteed occurrences and it's the coaching staff's actual job to make sure we are competitive when it does occur.

If our tactics rely on superstars, we desperately need new tactics which don't, so that we don't fall in a heap should the superstars not be available.

I'm not that sure we even played that much differently, we just had more average players in key positions for so many games this season.

We scored plenty and I mean plenty of individual brilliance tries last year. Walsh, Ezra, Reynolds all fit and firing and full of confidence.

A defence, who defended together most weeks, full of confidence that if they held teams out one of our guns could score at any given time and reward our defensive efforts. We just defended as a unit much better. Its not like Kev made a tactical decision to make our defence far worse.

We still made a shit load of errors last year as well, and lost plenty of 6 again and penalty counts, there's just a hell of a lot of difference giving the ball to Walsh out the back 20m out compared to Sailor. Defences knew Ezra could burn them too, we weren't getting that from Rogers or even Ezra himself this year because Ezra's space without Reynolds/Walsh/Herbie was gone.

I think where Kev needed to change something was because all of those players were out, because our errors were killing us, because our discipline was killing us and because our edge defence was getting torn to shreds, what worked last year wasn't working.

But we never changed.

Look I agree to some extent, but I'm sure Kev would be the first to tell you that's no excuse because everyone in the squad is NRL quality and we should be winning games regardless of who takes the field.

And he'd be right. Yes there is a drop in quality from Walsh to Sailor, and Reyno to Madden/Rogers. Our game plan needs to take that into account. This is the "structure" that some of us on here keep banging about which seem to still be non-existent 4yrs into Kev's tenure.

There's a huge drop in quality from Cleary to Penrith's backup halves as well. Muster/Hughes to their backup halves. When you have star players in the squad of course there's usually a drop in quality. The game plans must accommodate those changes - we would have been without Walsh for weeks over Origin anyway. Reyno has spent time on the sidelines every year he's been here. These aren't unforeseeable, I'd say these are guaranteed occurrences and it's the coaching staff's actual job to make sure we are competitive when it does occur.

If our tactics rely on superstars, we desperately need new tactics which don't, so that we don't fall in a heap should the superstars not be available.
I think Kev had confidence Madden and Sailor could step up and do the job but they didn't.
A lot of the times we had both Reynolds and Walsh out I reckon with just one out we would of been okay.

Penrith don't rely on Cleary making space for Edwards and Luai steps up in his advance, Mam doesn't do that yet.
Melbourne just have quality like for like depth and structure to match it.

In the future if Walsh is out we need to change our structure to a running fullback like Penrith with Edwards. With Sailor I think we ran into problems with trying to be like for like but Sailor wasn't the same quality as Walsh.

For mine you just encapsulated why Kevin has failed as a coach here. He has the talent (showcased last year) to form a top 4 squad but is incompetent as a coach to channel it in a professional way.

Every side that finished in the top 4 this year had injuries to key players and contributed their best players to origin. When he tried using that as an excuse in his last press conference it sounded feeble and weak.

The real story here is he has no idea on how to coach a professional NRL side in the modern era. His over reliance on Walsh and Reynolds is a dead giveaway.

Now that we know Kev is one of the people leading the review, identifying the issue should look something like this:

Attachments

• IMG_7212.jpeg
    IMG_7212.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 9
I really think while they do need to do an internal review, we probably need somebody from the outside to give a different opinion.

I recall reading that's exactly what we are doing. we've contracted an external agency to conduct a review. DD and Kevvie will do their own review.

Don't ask me where I've read it, there has been 1000 articles about what went wrong since we officially were eliminated from finals contention and i can't for the life of me remember which one i read it in.

Corey Parker is available and is completely impartial. Very objective in his assessment of the Brisbane Broncos.
I can already complete Corey's review on his behalf.
After extensive studying, Corey has determined the club was shit this year and as a result needs to be a coach of the club moving forward so he can tell the players this on a daily basis instead of just telling them at the end of the year at the review panel.

Behind a paywall, but this article again confirms that the club have hired an external agency to conduct a review (the name of the agency is being kept confidential.

the top 30 have all been interviewed so far (including about Kevvie's performance), and have now left on extended leave in accordance with the RLPA’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Behind a paywall, but this article again confirms that the club have hired an external agency to conduct a review (the name of the agency is being kept confidential.

the top 30 have all been interviewed so far (including about Kevvie's performance), and have now left on extended leave in accordance with the RLPA’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Thank ****. No issue with DD and Kevie doing their own review but would be kind of pointless without a fresh set of eyes.

I hope the external agency is the Melbourne Storm

Active Now

• marw
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Waynesaurus
  • scobie
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Gaz
  • Xarr
  • Shane Tronc
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.