Henjak Revisited

Care to elaborate on what you mean by taking it out on rookies Pete?

We've been ordinary since we kept Cullen and lost WB. Managers come and go and are a dime a dozen but world class coaches are rare. Worst decision in Bronco history and one from which we haven't recovered. Replacing one of the two best coaches in the game with a novice with poor skills was idiotic, a point I made at the time. WB did not go willingly.

Yep, when it became clear that off the field he was an insecure wreck who'd pick on the rookies, it was clear that the club made the right decision.

I hope the senior players said something to Henjak, I hope they didn't do anything about & just let it happen.

Last edited:
He came through my workplace once. An intense guy...

Care to elaborate on what you mean by taking it out on rookies Pete?

In his autobiography, Lockyer talks about how great a talent Dave Taylor was and how Henjak deserves credit for getting the best out of him by hiring him this world-class personal trainer. However, when Dave met with Ivan about a contract extension, he went from a likable care-free man-child who wanted to be a Bronco for life to an insecure player who questioned his talent. Lockyer then spends a bit on how a coach shouldn't be too critical and should give positive re-enforcement where it's due - which reading between the lines well.

Henjak had it pretty rough from what I've read though. Apparently he rocked up on the first day of training to a staff the size of a footy team. In 2010, when he got rid of most of them, it caused a lot of angst and he had to virtually start over. After we got rid of Benton, Henjak had all the boys do game-related fitness drills and they were out and out disgraceful which lead Lockyer to question whether Benton was keeping accurate records or his methods were beneficial.

In his autobiography, Lockyer talks about how great a talent Dave Taylor was and how Henjak deserves credit for getting the best out of him by hiring him this world-class personal trainer. However, when Dave met with Ivan about a contract extension, he went from a likable care-free man-child who wanted to be a Bronco for life to an insecure player who questioned his talent.

So maybe it's Henjak's fault that Souths had to threaten to drop him each week to get the best out of him. (source Matthew Johns on Monday Night Footy Show)

Who is to blame for Taylor 'falling' out bed during Origin. (*cough* drunk as a skunk *cough*) Or him going on a 2 day bender the other week at the Titans.

At this stage, nobody for Taylor to blame but himself.

However, an effective manager would have gotten the most out of Taylor and made him into one of the best forwards in the game. Maguire did what he could but Taylor just had too many bad habits for him to contend with.

I think Taylor needs to just harden up and play front row. Yeah, it's not fancy like hiding out on the edges, but having an athletic front rower playing a Hasler coached sort of role with the skills he has could benefit most teams.

Re: Broncos Player Movements and Rumours 2013

Te'o was kind of a nobody when we signed him.

I'm pretty sure it was based on one performance against us too, where he scored 2 tries.

Te'o was kind of a nobody when we signed him.

I'm pretty sure it was based on one performance against us too, where he scored 2 tries.

yeah, I think he was just a pudgy kid from the Tigers with a good offload at the time we picked him up. Wise recruitment decision there (and good development)

yeah, I think he was just a pudgy kid from the Tigers with a good offload at the time we picked him up. Wise recruitment decision there (and good development)

Yeah, for all the negative things we can say about Henjak, he had such a new young roster, and he really got them going. Back then everyone was thinking that in a few years, we'd be unstoppable. Not the case anymore though.

Yeah, for all the negative things we can say about Henjak, he had such a new young roster, and he really got them going. Back then everyone was thinking that in a few years, we'd be unstoppable. Not the case anymore though.
Say wot? Was that during or after the 56-0 drubbing in Canberra? :hmmmm:

Say wot? Was that during or after the 56-0 drubbing in Canberra? :hmmmm:

Like I said, they were all still new to FG. Still, guys like McCullough, Yow Yeh, Gillett etc. looked good in their first years. People were saying we'd be unstoppable in a few years time. Henjak only lasted 2 years though.

Henjak's footy was more attractive, but that's as far as it went with him... He had no pulse on the players and the team did something on the field several times that I find completely unacceptable: Capitulate!

They gave up on games and as a result, the Broncos suffered the biggest humiliations under Ivan the Terrible, which is something I will never forgive him for!

Like I said, they were all still new to FG. Still, guys like McCullough, Yow Yeh, Gillett etc. looked good in their first years. People were saying we'd be unstoppable in a few years time. Henjak only lasted 2 years though.

I could be wrong, but I don't remember anyone saying 'we would be unstoppable' when Henjak was in charge. The only time I remember that being said was griffins first year (even though I didn't agree).

All I remember from comments of the Henjak debacle was words to the affect of 'they would be fucked without locky and izzy'

Te'o was a highly rated junior who earned a bad reputation after he signed with us. Fans accused him of not trying and he allegedly got into a few punch ons with team mates. He definitely improved at Red Hill but it took about a season for fans to warm up to him - he was among our most unpopular in 09.

Members read too much into exaggerations. Personally, I hate them when you're having an argument because it doesn't lend any credibility to their position but in a situation like this it's pretty clear what was being said. I remember in 2010 the media and a select group of fans on here (I was one) thought while we'd pay for our poor recruitment in 2009, the development of talent would pave the road for a bright future. Names like Hoffman, Yow Yeh, McCullough, Gillett & Glenn were flaunted as future stars and the likes of Copley, Beale, Norman, Hunt, McGuire, Lui, Hala, Baptiste and Gagai weren't far behind. However, while the future looked bright it became clear to the senior players and administration that Henjak wasn't fit to lead them and so he was ousted.

Right now it appears as if Hook is headed for a similar fate barring a resurgence in 2014.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • LittleDavey
  • FACTHUNT
  • sooticus
  • Battler
  • bb_gun
  • Dee
  • Financeguy
  • Big Del
  • Old Mate
  • bert_lifts
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Hurrijo
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.