VOTE HERBIE FARNWORTH: BHQ Player of Round 3

Who is your player of Round Three (Pick 3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All things being equal with opportunities and injuries, I can see big things for Herbie. His acceleration, speed, and step and swerve remind me a lot of Renouf. The soccer kick, or rather pass, he laid on for Dearden was beautiful to watch. He has also has a good footie brain which for me, at this stage of things, separates him from Isaako, and Staggs. Future star, for mine.
I think a very important aspect that you forgot to factor in is he is a dyed in the wool Broncos tragic. He’ll be very loath to leave us so as long as the cash is there or there abouts we’ll have a star for a good ten years.

I think a very important aspect that you forgot to factor in is he is a dyed in the wool Broncos tragic. He’ll be very loath to leave us so as long as the cash is there or there abouts we’ll have a star for a good ten years.

Agree with you. It will be interesting to see what Walters does when Staggs returns. If he stays in the centres where he belongs, what happens to Niu? Alternatively, Herbie might go to FB? Just hope he isn't put on the wing.

Herb won because he is a forum favourite and Issako isn't. He had 2 breaks against the slowest centre in the competition with enough space to fit the Grand canyon.

Issako broke open the game scored the first and setup the second try. It isn't even a debate when you take out favouritism
Farnworth was a good player in support away from Breaking the game open twice in the first half, you can't fault him for the end result.

He also dominated the meter gains as well.

Issako on the other hand was terrible when he wasn't playing good which would of hurt his score.

Last edited:
He bombed one in the first half after one of herbie's breaks. After croft was tackled, the ball went to isaako who only had to pass the ball further to the right but instead he stepped inside but got caught and threw a panicked pass out the back. Luckily croft got to it and got a kick away but it was bombed none the less.

He also showed shades of hoggman in the trial against the cowboys. He made it into the backfield and only had to draw the fullback and pass to dearden but he held onto it, got caught and again threw a panicked pass out back, but again luckily for him dearden got back to it and was able to pass it to a winger to score.
Yes that was a ridiculous play from Isaako... thinking about it just now the only thing I can think of is that Croft had just been tackled and I believe Milf had offloaded back on the 40m to TPJ before the break happened.

So potentially Isaako looked right and there was literally no one there except forwards and they may have been 20-30m away... although I suspect Turps may have been there, unless he was at dummy half.

All things being equal with opportunities and injuries, I can see big things for Herbie. His acceleration, speed, and step and swerve remind me a lot of Renouf. The soccer kick, or rather pass, he laid on for Dearden was beautiful to watch. He has also has a good footie brain which for me, at this stage of things, separates him from Isaako, and Staggs. Future star, for mine.
I may have jumped the gun thinking he was a better winger, because he is excelling at center.

He absolutely destroyed Hoppa and his defence appears to be holding up... perhaps Mead is helping in that department, but I thought Herbie was pretty reliable defender in the centers last year despite us conceding 40pt scoreline.

I think I also noticed him carrying in the left arm at times. I think it may be unnatural for him to hold it in the left arm, but at least he's aware it's the better arm to be carrying it in.

It would be a godsend if Herbie locks down that troublesome left center spot

He bombed one in the first half after one of herbie's breaks. After croft was tackled, the ball went to isaako who only had to pass the ball further to the right but instead he stepped inside but got caught and threw a panicked pass out the back. Luckily croft got to it and got a kick away but it was bombed none the less.

He also showed shades of hoggman in the trial against the cowboys. He made it into the backfield and only had to draw the fullback and pass to dearden but he held onto it, got caught and again threw a panicked pass out back, but again luckily for him dearden got back to it and was able to pass it to a winger to score.

You’re both right about him not passing when a try is on. This might be giving him way too much benefit of the doubt but I wonder if it’s possible he doesn’t back his passing game and would rather chance his hand running than botching the pass.

That theory may be a stretch though

Herb won because he is a forum favourite and Issako isn't. He had 2 breaks against the slowest centre in the competition with enough space to fit the Grand canyon.

Issako broke open the game scored the first and setup the second try. It isn't even a debate when you take out favouritism
He has had 2 breaks in 2 years slow or fast defenders it hasn’t mattered. The forum probably view it as ‘it’s about time he earns his stripes’ since his breakout year. Considering people were still calling for his head up until circa 59 minutes. I honestly like Isaako but we have been waiting since the famous chooks side step to see this brilliance again.

Last edited:
Yes that was a ridiculous play from Isaako... thinking about it just now the only thing I can think of is that Croft had just been tackled and I believe Milf had offloaded back on the 40m to TPJ before the break happened.

So potentially Isaako looked right and there was literally no one there except forwards and they may have been 20-30m away... although I suspect Turps may have been there, unless he was at dummy half.

Here's the spot on the highlights. Mead at dummy-half, Isaako had at least Milford and Turpin to pass to before jinking back, getting tackled, throwing ball away, Croft grubbers and Meaney is ruled to have gotten back into play from the Glenn tackle in-goal

You’re both right about him not passing when a try is on. This might be giving him way too much benefit of the doubt but I wonder if it’s possible he doesn’t back his passing game and would rather chance his hand running than botching the pass.

But he drew the FB and then passed to Coates after he broke the line, so I think you're right you're stretching it a bit too much there.

If that's the case, why was he standing up in the line with Pangail running hard to his left, Milford ready to receive to his right, a situation where a pass is the only option, yet he runs with 3 defenders in front of him. Talk about ego. Does he think he's Lockyer?

Like I said elsewhere, at this stage of his career, he doesn't have the footy smarts to be a modern FB.

If that's the case, why was he standing up in the line with Pangail running hard to his left, Milford ready to receive to his right, a situation where a pass is the only option, yet he runs with 3 defenders in front of him. Talk about ego. Does he think he's Lockyer?

Like I said elsewhere, at this stage of his career, he doesn't have the footy smarts to be a modern FB.
Pangail 🤣
I like it!

The sooner we get rid of Milford, the sooner this team can begin to breathe. Look at how useless he is at backing up Herbie. Jogging along like the passenger he is.

Herbie run

If you want a jolting reminder at how inept our halves are, watch Nathan Cleary in last night's Penrith vs Manly match. That's what this team is sorely missing.

Or even more so, Luai. He is what Milf can only dream of being.
Yeah he has that fidgety kind of thing that Milford used to have in his prime. I was more impressed with Cleary's read on the game, being a couple of plays ahead of his opposition. That's something I haven't seen from us since Lockyer retired. He made DCE look like Croft, and he's no chump.

I'm liking our chances against Manly right now.

Someone on here did reckon he was carrying a hammy strain. If he’s not the that passage of play is inexcusable. If he had been following up he would have been right off his hip for an offload and into score. TPJ’s pass and Herbie’s step would have resulted in a try if that were Storm, South’s or Penrith.
And to think this is him playing for a contract renewal? It’s quite staggering really his lack of urgency.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Justwin
  • Brocko
  • GCBRONCO
  • jd87
  • Xzei
  • Cavalo
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • broncoscope
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • MrMoore
  • Allo
  • Mustafur
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Alec
  • barker
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.