OFFICIAL Herbie ***** off to the dolphins

If memory serves me correct Farnworth didn't sign with the Broncos until late last season. Seems a strange move to sign a one year contract and then sign somewhere else early in the new season. Especially given he is going to a club that is just starting up next year. Strange one.

Would you like me to say it for you? Picked on current ability, he isn't good enough for the 17. He could replace Cobbo, but not Herb.

Honestly, if you take out what Herbie did last year (and I am not saying you should), based on the trials, it is hard not to think that Mariner isn't ready, he was easily one of the standouts across all games.

The more i look at that i think The Dolphins were a convienent smoke screen for the Doggies to get him over the line quietly with the link between Gus and Adamson.

Joe works for the Dolphins Cyril team and Michael Roberts his schoolteacher/coach and works for the Dolphins.

Honestly, if you take out what Herbie did last year (and I am not saying you should), based on the trials, it is hard not to think that Mariner isn't ready, he was easily one of the standouts across all games.

I think he is ready for a go on the wing tbh, but him being ready for the weekly grind of NRL footy in a tough position is a big ask. I dont think another year of Queensland Cup with him being first cab off the rank with injuries is going to harm him. If he is impatient and wants a spot sooner rather than later let him walk.

Joe works for the Dolphins Cyril team and Michael Roberts his schoolteacher/coach and works for the Dolphins.

He's obviously got big links to Redcliffe, but his new manager has big links to Gus. Dont know much about Karl, but who knows how he got influenced. None of us would be privvy to that information.

He might be ready. I'm not saying he isn't. I'm saying Herbie is better, and should be picked first.

No doubt the phins will now start angling to try and get Herbie early. That should be a non starter.

We should look at a third team that benefits us somehow. The has no one we could use, so go looking somewhere else and see what we can find.

Don’t understand why anyone would want to move him on early, we are getting an international centre for another season in a stacked backline, we win more games with him than not. He’s a professional sort of guy so I think we can trust him to keep his focus on this season. The most puzzling thing is why he ever re-signed for another year to begin with.

Don’t understand why anyone would want to move him on early, we are getting an international centre for another season in a stacked backline, we win more games with him than not. He’s a professional sort of guy so I think we can trust him to keep his focus on this season. The most puzzling thing is why he ever re-signed for another year to begin with.

It's all they had, a one-year deal for small money and he took it out of loyalty to give them some time.

Cant blame the Dolphins, he is a great signing for them and virtually every other club would have done the same thing.

We need to take a long hard look at the culture of this club and why it is we cant retain talent. Brown paper bags aside, there has to be a way players stay loyal and buy into what we are trying to achieve.

So gutted.
How do you compete when a club offers a player money you’d be stupid to match (Fifita, hunt, probably Herbie) or promises them a position they shouldn’t be playing?

I love Herbie as much, if not more than anyone else on the forum.

But IF Mariner is ready for regular NRL footy (at least on the wing) then I would seriously consider giving him that spot (with Cobbo taking centre)

Even though it would be best for us in 2023 to keep (and start) Herbie.

Herbie stuck with us at a time when it made more sense to walk away. So for that reason (assuming Mariner is ready for full time NRL) I would make a deal with the Phins for a transfer fee in exchange for an early release. I would put one clause in that release though, saying that Herbie is not permitted to play against us in 2023

Depends on how we want to use him. If we would rather develop others then it makes sense to just let him go now and clear a bit of cap space. If we are happy enough to use him then no way should we let him go.

Seems quite common now for players to sign a one year deal with the Salary cap situation. Look at Nanai for example. Maybe Herbie thought fullback was an option when he signed, and then Walsh came instead. Maybe he just wanted to see if there would be better deals around for 24. Lots of reasons for these 1 year deals.

Herbie is a professional who received a good offer. It happens. I say let him finish his contract and as long as he is playing well and we are in the running for the finals to keep him in the team. Whether it means he goes to wing to get Cobbo in the centres or whatever. It happens! If he starts slacking off then yeah replace him but I am sure he will want to win. He is a competitor.

Active Now

• theshed
  • broncos4life
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrTickyMcG
  • sooticus
  • heartly87
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
  • rj9
  • broncsgoat
  • maddo
  • Fozz
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.