OFFICIAL Herman Ese'ese to Knights

It's a lot of faith banking on Lodge. You'd think they'd still try to keep another 1 or 2, even with more competitive amounts. We aren't particularly blessed with props... and they might end up being great. I'm sure we'll end up keeping some though.

Over the salary cap crap. First if you must have one the it needs to sorted out at least a year in advance. Can always have bonus top ups if extra money around for players. Better yet have all contracts expressed as a % of cap.

Don't begrudge him the money but have fun playing at Newcastle... test jersey looking further away already.

ese'ese has already been called in to the kiwi squad now for the world cup.

Depends on your definition of big money ... 750k a season in a 10 million cap isn't massive money

Not sure it was a wise choise though. If we loose a bunch of youngsters for him , and has been well documented that he is having second thoughts.

Not sure it was a wise choise though. If we loose a bunch of youngsters for him , and has been well documented that he is having second thoughts.

i don't think we are losing a bunch of youngsters because of him ... we reportedly wouldn't retain Ese'ese unless be get close to the Knights 470k a season offer for him, and right now he just isn't worth that.

the problem with the development system right now is that desperate clubs will always try and poach juniors on more money than clubs like us can afford to pay.

that is why there desperately needs to be salary cap concessions for developing your own talent. however, if they did do that, we would just have Rothfield and Kent in the paper every day claiming how it is not fair that we get concessions for developing our own juniors

i don't think we are losing a bunch of youngsters because of him ... we reportedly wouldn't retain Ese'ese unless be get close to the Knights 470k a season offer for him, and right now he just isn't worth that.

the problem with the development system right now is that desperate clubs will always try and poach juniors on more money than clubs like us can afford to pay.

that is why there desperately needs to be salary cap concessions for developing your own talent. however, if they did do that, we would just have Rothfield and Kent in the paper every day claiming how it is not fair that we get concessions for developing our own juniors

I don't have an issue with this case though since both Ese'ese (Bulldogs) and Moga (Roosters) are from different junior systems.

Otherwise for clubs like Wests who went through all that hassle to develop Woods, Tedesco, Moses and Brooks only to lose 3 of the 4 it would be worth looking into. Even if it was something as small as the club being paid a development fee for bringing those players through, it may help them off the field.

I don't have an issue with this case though since both Ese'ese (Bulldogs) and Moga (Roosters) are from different junior systems.

Otherwise for clubs like Wests who went through all that hassle to develop Woods, Tedesco, Moses and Brooks only to lose 3 of the 4 it would be worth looking into. Even if it was something as small as the club being paid a development fee for bringing those players through, it may help them off the field.

you're right using Ese'ese was a bad example of needing cap concessions for developed players.

The cap appears as if it's going up maybe 25%. But it's still not settled. And will likely have to stretch to a top 30, not 25. And yet clubs are offering 50 - 100% payrises to players in order to poach them. It's insanity, and I include the Bird signing in there. It's already messing with our cap.

But clubs like Newcastle are going to get a rude shock in a year or two when their big $$ players aren't performing as well as they'd hoped for. And, like a crazy cycle, they'll end up tight on the cap, try to offload these players or other players and have to do it on the cheap (like Korbin Sims), be paying out portions of players' contracts while they run around elsewhere, and then because they can't compete they'll try to pay overs to poach new players again. Repeat.

The best thing we can do is be sensible about it. Not getting in to bidding wars for promising yet unproven (Herman) or injury-prone (Moga) players is a good start. It means we'll have room to move when all these overpaid players are forced out of their cap-hitting clubs, and we'll be able to get them on the cheap to fill in the gaps.

But it would allow us to spend less money on the likes of offa. Arrow. Su'a. Opacic. Etc. And allow us to open up the wallet a little wider for the likes of ese'ese and such.

We'll be up shit creek if Bird decides he doesn't want to be here and all these other fellas have gone elsewhere. I hope Bird is worth it.

Depends on what the guidance on the cap is? Of a 9 million cap 400000 is under 5% of the cap. He's worth near that. If have cash offer him 380000 ish plus offer to start looking for non guaranteed third parties to incentivise. If he chases money at Newcastle let him enjoy the wooden spoon but if we make our offer within 20% of theirs see if he wants to be a bronco long term.

ese'ese has already been called in to the kiwi squad now for the world cup.

Wasn't aware of that thanks but done as a bronco with a winning culture backing you... harder to shine when you are getting belted. Also squad is not same as playing. Will need a big second half of season or a few injuries to get in.

**** me, calm down.

There are 'rumours' that we may not keep a few fringe forwards and most of you are running around like it is just been announced that Milford, Roberts, Oates and Boyd are leaving.

Deep breaths.

**** me, calm down.

There are 'rumours' that we may not keep a few fringe forwards and most of you are running around like it is just been announced that Milford, Roberts, Oates and Boyd are leaving.

Deep breaths.

Yeah up to 4 of them . Its concerning because they are good prospects. Forwards win games .

Forwards win premierships.... backs determine by how much.
Our forwards were immense in 2015 grand final. A stupid penalty from hunt, a drop ball from hunt and bad defensive read from Oates cost us the grand final.

Our forwards were immense in 2015 grand final. A stupid penalty from hunt, a drop ball from hunt and bad defensive read from Oates cost us the grand final.

Do you have to bring this up :angry:

So our backs determined we would win by -1 point ;-)

Edit: That felt dirty typing definitely still in the too soon basket

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Yem
  • Gray
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Santa
  • broncs30
  • Skathen
  • ezpz
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Strop
  • Brotherdu
  • Scorchie
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Midean
  • Dazza 92
  • Morkel
... and 32 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.