NEWS He's just a winner: Turpin

It's not at all about who he cut but the manner in which he did it. It was all abrupt, impersonal, pretty damn cold, and I guess that rang through everything he did since clearly he sucked out all emotion from the club.
I get all that and can’t really argue with you.

But I do think people are using the benefit of hindsight to pass judgement when at the time the cuts were made, very few had any problems with them. Quite the contrary really, most people supported them, despite how they may have been carried out.

But if we allow ourselves to use hindsight to look a little further back and consider the what-if’s, an example that springs to mind is the way Bennett unceremoniously slashed Barba from the club just so he could have Boyd. He made no secret about it and it was carried out pretty much exactly how you described above (he even made some pretty brutal comments to the press about it). Were the same criticisms levelled at Bennett then.

Sliding doors aside, the facts are that neither Bennett nor Boyd went on to win the Broncos any premierships. And in Boyd’s case, he went on to become one of the most polarising figures ever at the club, with people ready to burn Red Hill down because he was signed to a ridiculous contract that allowed him to play on at least 2 seasons too long, all the while contributing bugger-all.

However, despite his wayward antics afterwards (which I bet no one at Cronulla really cares about when they look at their 2016 trophy), Barba at least went on to be a pivotal contributor to Cronulla’s success (I don’t think there is any doubt they wouldn’t have won it without him). Could he have done that for us if he wasn’t cut? Who knows.

I guess I just think that absolutely, Seibold did a lot of things wrong, and as I said, a lot of the things he did (and / or how he did them) eroded the players confidence in him and themselves.

I am just not sure he did anything vastly different to most other coaches when it came to overhauling the roster. Could he have handled it (and a whole lot of other things) better, well history shows that’s an unequivocal yes. But I think there’s probably a lot that happened that we don’t know and that there were, and still are, a lot of underlying cultural problems at the club. If so, he MAY have been trying (and failing) to wrangle a bit of power back from the players (look at the mess the Tigers got themselves in by allowing the players to have all the power). Who knows, it’s just a thought.

But none of what I’ve said really matters. As a coach, you live and die by the decisions you make, and Seibold died in a spectacular blaze of infamy, so it’s all a moot point really.

Considering we haven’t made any signings this year and have lost / released a bunch more players, I think it just goes to show that our cap was a complete fucking mess and Seminole didn’t have much choice but to try and move people on.

I think he was a shit coach no doubt, but he had no chance to succeed really. The squad was too young, too many inexperienced players and no leadership. Even when he came he didn’t have any real leaders at the club left.

New CEO needs to clean out the staff

I get all that and can’t really argue with you.

But I do think people are using the benefit of hindsight to pass judgement when at the time the cuts were made, very few had any problems with them. Quite the contrary really, most people supported them, despite how they may have been carried out.

But if we allow ourselves to use hindsight to look a little further back and consider the what-if’s, an example that springs to mind is the way Bennett unceremoniously slashed Barba from the club just so he could have Boyd. He made no secret about it and it was carried out pretty much exactly how you described above (he even made some pretty brutal comments to the press about it). Were the same criticisms levelled at Bennett then.

Sliding doors aside, the facts are that neither Bennett nor Boyd went on to win the Broncos any premierships. And in Boyd’s case, he went on to become one of the most polarising figures ever at the club, with people ready to burn Red Hill down because he was signed to a ridiculous contract that allowed him to play on at least 2 seasons too long, all the while contributing bugger-all.

However, despite his wayward antics afterwards (which I bet no one at Cronulla really cares about when they look at their 2016 trophy), Barba at least went on to be a pivotal contributor to Cronulla’s success (I don’t think there is any doubt they wouldn’t have won it without him). Could he have done that for us if he wasn’t cut? Who knows.

I guess I just think that absolutely, Seibold did a lot of things wrong, and as I said, a lot of the things he did (and / or how he did them) eroded the players confidence in him and themselves.

I am just not sure he did anything vastly different to most other coaches when it came to overhauling the roster. Could he have handled it (and a whole lot of other things) better, well history shows that’s an unequivocal yes. But I think there’s probably a lot that happened that we don’t know and that there were, and still are, a lot of underlying cultural problems at the club. If so, he MAY have been trying (and failing) to wrangle a bit of power back from the players (look at the mess the Tigers got themselves in by allowing the players to have all the power). Who knows, it’s just a thought.

But none of what I’ve said really matters. As a coach, you live and die by the decisions you make, and Seibold died in a spectacular blaze of infamy, so it’s all a moot point really.

Well said. I have no problem with anyone he let go other than KNik ( I have long said I would have preferred he stayed over Milf) and Su'A. The others I had absolutely no issue with but it was the fact we were chipping in large amounts for these players to play elsewhere and the try before you buy loan deals of Kahu and Macca that were just stupid.

Factor in that we essentially replaced KNik with Croft, McGuire for Kennedy and Roberts with Kennar, Macca with Luke and Su'A with T'eo and you can see why many fans were pretty ticked off about it all. Not one of those was an upgrade, in fact all of them were massive downgrades. So getting rid of players to bring in even worse ones that made no sense whatsoever.

Considering we haven’t made any signings this year and have lost / released a bunch more players, I think it just goes to show that our cap was a complete fucking mess and Seminole didn’t have much choice but to try and move people on.

I think he was a shit coach no doubt, but he had no chance to succeed really. The squad was too young, too many inexperienced players and no leadership. Even when he came he didn’t have any real leaders at the club left.

New CEO needs to clean out the staff

going by your logic it also means that the NRL were prepared to allow us to be over the cap significantly more than when the Storm were done for cheating ... 🤔

Just because the fans were somewhat happy with who was cut and which rookies were brought up, doesn't mean they were the right calls. For mine, it seemed like Seibold had no fucking clue what to do and was making populist fan choices.

Granted, injuries contributed to a lot of the untried rookies getting thrown in, but the sackings / releases allowed us to be exposed as badly as we were.

My final thought on all this.

Seibold is gone, Walters is in and I’ll be supporting him and his decisions (and hoping they’re the right ones) like I have every coach before him.

Obviously the only way is up, but I do genuinely believe we will be better in 2021. Walters will (seems he’s already part way there) bring back team harmony and the team will play for each other. That in itself will get us a few more wins.

But even if we lose, so long as we lose trying our guts out I’ll be content.

None of this making excuses, sooking, sulking and looking around at everyone else to dig us out of the shit caper that was indicative of our 2020 season.

...and back to Darius Boyd. 😆

If you look back at the discussion held around 2014 you'll see there was a massive divide about Bennett's returning and Darius' inevitable arrival was one of the major discussion points. I don't actually think that's a good example because while Barba went onto win a premiership it was in a stacked roster and we later learned how they were able to afford it. I don't necessarily think Barba would have achieved the same results if he had stayed at the Broncos.

Darius turned out to be a much better signing than anything Seibold came up with during that term. However, you'd have a stronger point if you brought up his second term. There was some trepidation about it being a four-year deal, but I don't recall there being anywhere near the amount of backlash.

I am just not sure he did anything vastly different to most other coaches when it came to overhauling the roster.
Coaches make changes but they make them over time, they don't cut three players who belong in their best 17 because they were too difficult to coach.

That's on top of the way he treated the depth players (Brisbane may as well been playing with a squad of 25 given how Seibs chose to ignore certain players) and the exodus of junior talent like Sam Walker, Jake Simpkin, JJ Clarkson etc.

I don't think it was as big a shambles as made out and if anything Seibs contributed by having to re-sign players on massive overs to convince them to stay.

Ofahengaue was reportedly on $500,000 when did he sign the contract?

I said from the get go that it was terrible coaching to come into a club with a list of players you want gone. The major part of being a coach is man management and he came in and pissed people off right from the beginning. You come in with players you want to bring in, then respectfully move on players. This dumb ass thought he was playing fantasy footy and just released a bunch of people and replaced them with cheap rookies (that he had worked with before).

...and back to Darius Boyd. 😆

If you look back at the discussion held around 2014 you'll see there was a massive divide about Bennett's returning and Darius' inevitable arrival was one of the major discussion points. I don't actually think that's a good example because while Barba went onto win a premiership it was in a stacked roster and we later learned how they were able to afford it. I don't necessarily think Barba would have achieved the same results if he had stayed at the Broncos.

Darius turned out to be a much better signing than anything Seibold came up with during that term. However, you'd have a stronger point if you brought up his second term. There was some trepidation about it being a four-year deal, but I don't recall there being anywhere near the amount of backlash.

Coaches make changes but they make them over time, they don't cut three players who belong in their best 17 because they were too difficult to coach.

That's on top of the way he treated the depth players (Brisbane may as well been playing with a squad of 25 given how Seibs chose to ignore certain players) and the exodus of junior talent like Sam Walker, Jake Simpkin, JJ Clarkson etc.

I don't think it was as big a shambles as made out and if anything Seibs contributed by having to re-sign players on massive overs to convince them to stay.

Ofahengaue was reportedly on $500,000 when did he sign the contract?
As my post above indicates, I’ve already said everything I wanted to say.

So looks like we’ll just have to be content to have differing opinions 👍

Last edited:
As my post above indicates, I’ve already said everything I wanted to say.

So looks like we’ll just have to be content to have differing opinions 👍
Good way to handle it. :-)

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.