Hodges out for most of Season! Link included

I don't think we would have been fine without him this year though.. for all his deficiencies, he still scored a ton of tries and a lot of them came in situations where he just ran straight through 3 or 4 defenders - not many players can do that.

I'm disappointed we've lost him, it would have been great to see him improve, reach his potential and spend his prime at the Broncs.

But another part of me doesn't care that he's gone, players come and go all too frequently these days.

ethos said:
I don't think we would have been fine without him this year though.. for all his deficiencies, he still scored a ton of tries and a lot of them came in situations where he just ran straight through 3 or 4 defenders - not many players can do that.

I'm disappointed we've lost him, it would have been great to see him improve, reach his potential and spend his prime at the Broncs.

But another part of me doesn't care that he's gone, players come and go all too frequently these days.

Well yeah I was referring to 2011 and beyond. It would've been a disaster this season without him, especially given Hodges' injury.

problem is so did Yow and Hodges imo.

draggx said:
problem is so did Yow and Hodges imo.

IMO, either Kemp or Yow Yeh could go just as well outside Inglis...

Kemp can play either side welll, I am happy to just get him in the side at this point so playing outside Inglis sounds good.

whoever we have on the wings we need to make sure they can catch a freakin bomb, winterstien and yow yeh were horrible in that department this year.....

kluppy said:
whoever we have on the wings we need to make sure they can catch a freakin bomb, winterstien and yow yeh were horrible in that department this year.....
Yow Yeh was up and down this season, but in the high ball dept, he's normally pretty solid and the least of our worries. Hopefully Kemp will do the job well...

audragon said:
kluppy said:
Yow Yeh was up and down this season, but in the high ball dept, he's normally pretty solid and the least of our worries. Hopefully Kemp will do the job well...

i agree, Yow Yeh is very good under the high ball. Most of the balls dropped in defence this year were on Wintersteins wing

Foordy said:
audragon said:
kluppy said:

i agree, Yow Yeh is very good under the high ball. Most of the balls dropped in defence this year were on Wintersteins wing

very good?? really???? for the last 6 or 8 rounds (and i'm sure it would be a lot more ) i don't think he caught one!! and the last 3 or 4 rounds he didn't even try to catch them, just let them bounce......

Surely under coaching instruction. No way would he last in first grade if he was told to have a go at the bomb then continually stood back and watched. Possibly one of the worst tactics I've seen in 35 yrs which gifted Newcastle a win and started our slide out of the 8.

Dexter said:
Surely under coaching instruction. No way would he last in first grade if he was told to have a go at the bomb then continually stood back and watched. Possibly one of the worst tactics I've seen in 35 yrs which gifted Newcastle a win and started our slide out of the 8.

This. And it wasn't just the Broncos with this bizarre "tactic" either...

No it caught on didn't it. Still I'd like to know who came up with it and why. To me if you have wingers who can catch at say 80 - 90% you have to be better off than letting the ball bounce for a 50 - 50 chance.

Dexter said:
No it caught on didn't it. Still I'd like to know who came up with it and why. To me if you have wingers who can catch at say 80 - 90% you have to be better off than letting the ball bounce for a 50 - 50 chance.

Considering you can't win without possession it seems ridiculous to try NOT to get possession.

Coxy said:
Dexter said:

Considering you can't win without possession it seems ridiculous to try NOT to get possession.
it depends on where the bomb is coming down IMO.

it might seem silly to let bombs bounce, but if its 5th tackle and the bomb is coming down 20-30m out from the line, the 'safest' option can be to either let the other team have a crack at catching it, or let it bounce and have all hands on deck to recover it or tackle the person who does. that way you stand no chance of knocking on, and little chance of the opposition scoring. sure, on the odd occasion they will pull a rabbit out of a hat - but thats generally because of poor defence (like in the broncos case).

when the ball is within the 20 though, especially inside the 10, you HAVE to try and catch it.

if we had wingers that caught the bomb 80-90% of the time then i would be happy for them to attempt a catch where ever and when ever the ball goes up. but we don't, and being that the kick is such a popular attacking option these days, thats something we need to remedy..... as for them not lasting if they cant catch a ball, steve michaels couldn't make a tackle for about three quarters of a season and he managed to stay in the team. i'm afraid i don't have as much faith in ivan's ability to field a decent as some of you do.

kluppy said:
if we had wingers that caught the bomb 80-90% of the time then i would be happy for them to attempt a catch where ever and when ever the ball goes up. but we don't, and being that the kick is such a popular attacking option these days, thats something we need to remedy..... as for them not lasting if they cant catch a ball, steve michaels couldn't make a tackle for about three quarters of a season and he managed to stay in the team. i'm afraid i don't have as much faith in ivan's ability to field a decent as some of you do.

So you agree with the tactic of not contesting the bomb and letting the other team have a crack or letting it bounce and taking pot luck.
The bomb which comes down close to the line is always contested no matter how many attacking players are following yet the easier catch is let bounce, WTF is the logic.
As for the Steve Michaels reference I get waht you mean but what I said was if our wingers were under instruction to contest the kicks and refused then they wouldn't be kept in first grade, not wether they were crap at it and still kept their place.

Dexter said:
kluppy said:

So you agree with the tactic of not contesting the bomb and letting the other team have a crack or letting it bounce and taking pot luck.
The bomb which comes down close to the line is always contested no matter how many attacking players are following yet the easier catch is let bounce, WTF is the logic.
As for the Steve Michaels reference I get waht you mean but what I said was if our wingers were under instruction to contest the kicks and refused then they wouldn't be kept in first grade, not wether they were crap at it and still kept their place.

no i dont agree about not contesting the ball, i think it should be attacked regardless of field position, what i was saying was that we should have wingers that should be catching at 90%, at the moment we do not. i do see your point about the wingers possibly being told not to contest the ball, but its a silly tactic if you ask me. modern day wingers need to be very good under the high ball, if they're not then they are a weak link that should be eliminated.

I agree about catching a bomb in any field position. Any of the back 3 must be confident and competent in defusing kicks.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • theshed
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • Skyblues87
  • Wolfie
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Aldo
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • eggstar10
  • johnny plath
  • heartly87
  • simplythebest
  • winslow_wong
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Tim K
  • Volvo Driver
  • leish107
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.