Hoffman in the halves

I'll accept your apologies at the following address, people who questioned me about blooding a new half. Hoffman is a plodder.

what i have been asking you for weeks, and what you refuse to answer is this:

Give me the name of a player in our squad that is not only first grade material (5/8) but also ready to play in the top grade.

we all know that Hoffman isn't a 5/8 and we all know he is a stop gap until Milford arrives. and we also know that we aren't serious premiership contenders this season.

so knowing these things, means we shouldn't rush our young halves into first grade until they are ready. and we certainly shouldn't pull them out of the useless defenseless under 20a. they need to come from the ISC, where they have a better chance of running into something that resembles defense.

I think Duncan P is the closest to being ready, and in a few weeks he may just be.

Pick Strasser, he can't be any worse. And if he is, then we can use the same excuse you've been using, it's just a write off year. And then we'll know next season if he's a genuine option or at least decent depth.

I think you have contradicting statements there. If Milford is coming, why does it matter if we wait til our young halves are definitely ready? By the time Milford and Hunt have combined there won't be likely be a long term spot opening up for many years. Give the most talented one a shot now -- it will improve our playmaking options this year and give whoever gets the shot will have a chance to not sit behind Hunt and Milford for 5 years.

You are also going to want some backup for injuries for our regular halves, I'd rather know at least one of our youngsters has had a decent taste of first grade going into next season then not. There's some risk in doing so sure, but that's whats required of a real head coach, the tough decisions when needed, if your too afraid to do so and playing it safe to the extreme then I'm afraid your just out of your league, Griffin has proven this too many times now.

Last edited:
There was a moment in the game where Hoffman decided to take the line on and for the first time all season, it looked to be the right option up until he turned and lost it.

It should have been his redemption, his moment to prove his value to the team but in the end, it proved to be the opposite.

As GC said, the experiment is over. I believe the stint was worth going with to give our young talent time to build up their confidence but there was always going to come a time where Josh's limitations as a playmaker were going to catch up on the team, and it's been clear over the past fortnight that his time is up.

Now, the question is, who comes in and how should he be developed as a first grader.

Kahu will come in IMO after all he was plan A at the start of the season

Well I seriously hope Kahu is ready to return next week.

If either one of the Nikorima brothers didn't "blow the door off" or whatever tonight, I'll eat my hat.

Watch Kahu return, perform really well at 5/8th for a few rounds then suffer another season ending injury.

what i have been asking you for weeks, and what you refuse to answer is this:

Give me the name of a player in our squad that is not only first grade material (5/8) but also ready to play in the top grade.

we all know that Hoffman isn't a 5/8 and we all know he is a stop gap until Milford arrives. and we also know that we aren't serious premiership contenders this season.

so knowing these things, means we shouldn't rush our young halves into first grade until they are ready. and we certainly shouldn't pull them out of the useless defenseless under 20a. they need to come from the ISC, where they have a better chance of running into something that resembles defense.

I think Duncan P is the closest to being ready, and in a few weeks he may just be.

So where's the harm in bringing in an ACTUAL half from one of our feeder clubs who isn't one of our "young halves" who's development we don't want to interfere with? Or are all of the halves in our feeder, ISC clubs young....or worse than Hoffman?

And to answer your question of "a name" I don't have one, but if we don't have a better half than Hoffman in our ranks somewhere, I'll eat my fucking hat!!!

Last edited:
Hell Cody Walker is looking to get a release from the Storm, I know Souths are chasing him, surely he would be worth a punt even just for the remainder of the season?

So where's the harm in bringing in an ACTUAL half from one of our feeder clubs who isn't one of our "young halves" who's development we don't want to interfere with? Or are all of the halves in our feeder, ISC clubs young....or worse than Hoffman?

And to answer your question of "a name" I don't have one, but if we don't have a better half than Hoffman in our ranks somewhere, I'll eat my fucking hat!!!

Yes Foordy, please tell us why we should stick with Hoffman at 5/8th.

The only place for Hoffman is wing and Barba to 5/8.

He is a sitting duck in Hook's inept game plan. He ought to play where he has room and time to create opportunities and be part of others created by offloads, and take the absurd pressure off Hunt

yeah, I think Kahu is the next hodges. Good but fragile, he will be playing 2 out of 3 seasons.

I don't think Barba moving to the 6 solves our problem because we will still lack a fullback who can pass. Copley is not an option for the position. I'd happily see Hook give Strasser or Nikorima a go in the 6 next week. We can't even execute basic backline plays because Hoffman has no clue what he is doing.

I'll accept your apologies at the following address, people who questioned me about blooding a new half. Hoffman is a plodder.

Yes you are right about Hoffman but why such a dick about it. You have been wrong about plenty of things I've never seen someone write "I'll accept your apologies..." To you

Active Now

• Allo
  • Skathen
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.