"Hoffy isn't the guy for Fullback" - Hodges

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I don't see why the Bulldogs are chasing him. Hodkinson is a pretty good halfback, but Reynold's only asset is his mongrel. He's not a traditional playmaker, in fact, he's a hooker playing as a running 5/8, so the Bulldog's really do need a ball-playing fullback. It's why they were so good with Barba at fullback yet struggled when the had to use a running-type fullback like Morris etc.

Rhys van Beurden

Rhys van Beurden

QCup Player
Jun 20, 2013
I'm lost. Why is a Rothfield article suddenly concrete proof that Hoffman is going anywhere? Don't want to deny the (likely) inevitable, but doesn't that article only state more speculation and rumours we are already aware of?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I'm lost. Why is a Rothfield article suddenly concrete proof that Hoffman is going anywhere? Don't want to deny the (likely) inevitable, but doesn't that article only state more speculation and rumours we are already aware of?

That's what Phil Rothfield does. He's just repeated the same thing everyone has said but claims it as his own. I don't believe Hoffman is as unhappy as everyone is saying but if he is I personally don't want him at the club. But I won't believe anything until a contract is signed anymore (Thank you Greg Inglis!).

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
You'd think if Mole says it's a "Done Deal" that it's pretty likely to happen, usually he only comes up with crap like "Likely" and "Probably".. But then again, if it doesn't happen he'll just say "Things change bro"

Oh well, if we are prepared to release Hoffman, in my eyes, Milford is ours.

Rhys van Beurden

Rhys van Beurden

QCup Player
Jun 20, 2013
You'd think if Mole says it's a "Done Deal" that it's pretty likely to happen, usually he only comes up with crap like "Likely" and "Probably".. But then again, if it doesn't happen he'll just say "Things change bro"

Oh well, if we are prepared to release Hoffman, in my eyes, Milford is ours.

Well that is what I mean. The Mole said done deal, and that article was seemingly his proof.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
If Hoffman walks, it's no real loss. We have a far better Fullback in Barba ready to go and we have plenty of wingers who can fill that roll if necessary.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don't see why the Bulldogs are chasing him. Hodkinson is a pretty good halfback, but Reynold's only asset is his mongrel. He's not a traditional playmaker, in fact, he's a hooker playing as a running 5/8, so the Bulldog's really do need a ball-playing fullback. It's why they were so good with Barba at fullback yet struggled when the had to use a running-type fullback like Morris etc.

Ive thought the same thing about Reynolds, he really is a hooker and it's pretty clearly so.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Locke would definitely suit Dogs better than Hoffman if you ask me.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
We do, but to be objective, none are as good as Hoffman (on form) so it will be a loss. With our new signings and recovery from injuries, hopefully we will uncover a great talent or two.

True based on the season gone but Vidot has looked great at the Cup and we all know what Yow Yeh used to be able to do, even 75% of that would be great.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008

exactly what i told my mate whos a bulldogs supporter the other day.

hoffman doesnt fit the way they play.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Well that is what I mean. The Mole said done deal, and that article was seemingly his proof.

The mole seems to be a good mate of Phil Rothfield's so they've probably got the same source/shared notes.

Don't know whether that makes it more or less legitimate...

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
exactly what i told my mate whos a bulldogs supporter the other day.

hoffman doesnt fit the way they play.

I think Locke would suit them better. However Dogs have to cahnge their style of attack anyway, 2012 you could not stop them until the Storm did and now they are quite predictable and it will only get worse so i'm quite sure they'll change their style and Des will get the best out of Hoffman to do so

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'm pretty disappointed that Hoffy wants to leave tbh. Seems a bit deluded to me.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I'm pretty disappointed that Hoffy wants to leave tbh. Seems a bit deluded to me.

Completely agree. It's a shame all round really. At the end of the day he will eventually realise it. I mean there are only so many coaches that can put him on the wing before it sinks in. When it finally does and if he accepts it he will be a gun winger. It's a shame after all the work we have put in to him it won't be for us

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
**** i'm pissed that he is probably leaving I liked him a lot this year and was a guaranteed long term winger for us which is his best position by a long shot. What a baby crying out poor me when he doesn't get his own way, life is filled with disappointments.

Run away traitor

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
The thing is, we stuck by him when he really didn't look like he was going to become anything and now he has become something, he looks like he's having a cry and leaving. No real sadness from me at all if he leaves.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
If Vatuvei is out for the Kiwis will Kearney get him to play on the wing for them? I'd have a bit of a laugh at that.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The thing is, we stuck by him when he really didn't look like he was going to become anything and now he has become something, he looks like he's having a cry and leaving. No real sadness from me at all if he leaves.

Don't know about that Sproj.

Hoffman had some bad patches, sure, but the guy was one of the best prospects coming through in the NYC and made an impressive start to his career in 2008.

It took him until 2010 to really make his mark, but winning the Paul Morgan medal in his first real year was no mean feat.

I sort of feel like Hoffy's copped a bad wrap out of all of this. I don't think it's just about being dismissed for the fullback spot, I think it's a combination of a lot of factors, with the Gagai drama probably being on top of the pile.

Hoffman had a very good year for us and was one of only a handful of positives to take out of 2013. With that said, I can't help but he made it his personal mission to make Hook look like a fool for replacing him with Norman (even though from the trials, it was obvious we needed that extra passing option) and played out of his skin just to spite the club. He proved his point and won back the fullback spot but now that it's clear the club is going to go in another direction, I don't know if he'd be able to replicate that form across a few seasons.

Unread

Active Now

• Scdeac
  • Jazza
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Browny
  • Alec
  • Manlyman
  • Waynesaurus
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  • Bucking Beads
  • Ironbroncos
  • Ejbroncos
  • Battler
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.