How powerful is the Big D?

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Just thinking out loud. Since Dave Donaghy started with us we have seen a dramatic change in our approach. We seem to have regained the attitude that playing for the Broncos is a privelage, and if you don't want to buy in to what we represent, **** off right now.

Conversely, the Storm have seemed a rabble. The dramas that they would have normally kept quiet have been aired in public, and they are a long way away from the tight ship that we have previously seen over the last 15 years.

And to add to it, the Storm went absolutely apeshit when he signed with us, going so far as to try to restrict his input / involvement as long as possible through legal proceedings.

So, really, how powerful is this guy? How much sway does he have with the media and the NRL? Let's not forget that the Dolphins may have been a Brisbane based affiliate, but the Sunshine Coast Falcons have been a Storm feeder for a while now, and the NRL introducing a team in the area must surely hurt them. I don't recall the exact timeline, but it wasn't until he left that the NRL announced the Dolphins as the NRL's 17th team. Was DD the one holding the NRL at bay before then, making sure their main feeder club was nursing the best Qld talent for the Storm olone?

I don't know much about him but I do know it will be interesting seeing how Melbourne perform this season.

It's far from the glory days in Melbourne despite still being one of the teams to beat last season, they're losing some key players in 2023, Bellamy took an eternity to put pen to paper for a new deal which indicates that it wasn't as straight forward a decision for him as may have been when they were wielding 2 sets of books.

Everything DD has done with us has been absolutely the right call, I can't think of a signing we've made or one we didn't make that was a bad call, since he came to the club. Obviously the start of last year we let Walsh go and that wasn't a great deal for us but since he has joined the club, he's done nothing but good things.

Two things.

1: that title is misleading

2: love me some Double D
white teeth troll GIF

Just thinking out loud. Since Dave Donaghy started with us we have seen a dramatic change in our approach. We seem to have regained the attitude that playing for the Broncos is a privelage, and if you don't want to buy in to what we represent, **** off right now.

Conversely, the Storm have seemed a rabble. The dramas that they would have normally kept quiet have been aired in public, and they are a long way away from the tight ship that we have previously seen over the last 15 years.

And to add to it, the Storm went absolutely apeshit when he signed with us, going so far as to try to restrict his input / involvement as long as possible through legal proceedings.

So, really, how powerful is this guy? How much sway does he have with the media and the NRL? Let's not forget that the Dolphins may have been a Brisbane based affiliate, but the Sunshine Coast Falcons have been a Storm feeder for a while now, and the NRL introducing a team in the area must surely hurt them. I don't recall the exact timeline, but it wasn't until he left that the NRL announced the Dolphins as the NRL's 17th team. Was DD the one holding the NRL at bay before then, making sure their main feeder club was nursing the best Qld talent for the Storm olone?

This year was also the first year in a long time that Storm players publicly shopped themselves around.

Smith was obviously the worst offender in that regard, but Finucane and Hynes were also guilty of that

This year was also the first year in a long time that Storm players publicly shopped themselves around.

Smith was obviously the worst offender in that regard, but Finucane and Hynes were also guilty of that
That's what got me.

I remember over the past 2 seasons asking why Storm never have their contracts publicly scrutinized the way the Broncos do (Fifita, Coates etc) and throwing a tantrum about it, and ever since Dave got here, its been the exact opposite.

Its been very polarizing that's for sure.

Munster publicly saying he wanted to join the Dolphins until Storm said they wouldn’t release him early. Hughes as shopped himself to the Phins too.

DD has been massive for the club. As soon as his feet *finally* landed under the desk in 2021 things were visibly different.
We also cannot underestimate the magnitude of the Ikin signing.
He has gone from being a sad sack on 360 kicking the Broncos to playing an integral role in turning this club around.
DD + Ikin = actual trust in the club’s direction.

DD has been great, and both him and Ikin seem to have the players saying and doing the right things and the whole mood of the club seems much better than it has been.

Its nice to start liking our players again as much as the club itself.

What it highlights to me is what a total spud we had in White for way too many years.

Not sure about powerful; I think the days of Arko or Bullfrog are over.

Two things that have impressed me is he is very calm, knows the data- never heard him say I’ll get back to you.

He is very good at finding the right person. He identifies the person then finds them a role. He’s very big on find good people then get them a job.

Ikin and Scanlan are two good examples. They could have just kept flying under the radar and doing the football job they were doing but Donoghy found them a role.

Even through the Storm trying to enforce his contract he was calm and understood why- he’d speak to Tripp regularly and laugh about why are you doing this, you’re certainty to win the comp- maybe he’s a bad punter!

I agree with ;most of what you said, except for the Dolphins ( a Redcliffe / Moreton Bay team) having anything to do with the Sunshine Coast. That's a bit of a stretch.

Was a bit worried about Ikin at first. He teally bagged out the broncos after he missed out on the first gig he went for. He seems to be kicking goals for now though!

In addition to everything mentioned above, there’s been a noticeable increase in the club’s output on social media.. And the content has been great.. I’d bet good money it’s been a directive from Donaghy.

also, imo his successor at the Storm looks a bit out of his depth judging by the way he handled that Munster / Smith media conference

In addition to everything mentioned above, there’s been a noticeable increase in the club’s output on social media.. And the content has been great.. I’d bet good money it’s been a directive from Donaghy.

also, imo his successor at the Storm looks a bit out of his depth judging by the way he handled that Munster / Smith media conference

Happened when the new social media guy arrived. The cartoon edition of Haas dominating Cronulla was top shelf

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Hurrijo
  • bert_lifts
  • Skathen
  • Morkel
  • Bish
  • Painin the Haas
  • Kev_Guz
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.