Hunt and McCullough join Maroons

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
AXED Broncos halfback Ben Hunt has been invited into Queensland’s Origin set-up just one week after being relegated to reserve grade.

The Courier-Mail can reveal that Hunt arrived on the Gold Coast on Thursday night, along with Brisbane teammate Andrew McCullough, with the pair to spend time with the Queensland team before they head to Sydney next week.

It’s a major boost for Hunt to be back among the Queensland ranks, after he was dumped by Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett in a shock move to play with the Ipswich Jets in the Intrust Super Cup.

The out-of-favour halfback, who was dropped at this time last week, will train with the rest of the squad from Friday in the lead up to Origin II.

Hunt was spotted checking in at the Maroons’ Sanctuary Cove base on Thursday evening along with McCullough.

Queensland staff however were quick to clear up that there were no concerns over the fitness of halfback Cooper Cronk, who was rested from Melbourne’s grand final rematch against Cronulla last week.

The inclusion of the pair is a sign the Maroons are looking to the future.

Jonathan Thurston will retire from representative football at the end of this year while Cooper Cronk’s future up in the air as he has no contract beyond this season.

McCullough is also one of the next in line to take over when skipper Cameron Smith decides to move on.

McCullough has been one of the form hookers of the NRL this season. Maroons captain Smith will play his 41st Origin at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday and is nearing the end of his stellar career.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/b4caa415c5e626394891724526ff9f3a

Friend is probably at home nursing his concussion.

Has Cherry-Evans been ex-communicated after the Titans deal/Game II 15?

Wow, that is surprising. I wonder if Bennett had something to do with this

This news is quite unnerving ......

They are in there because all of the other options are either injured or playing this weekend...

Mccullough I believe is next in line at Hooker

I'd say he has about as much chance of becoming the next hooker as what Hunt does replacing Cooper Cronk for Game 2.

I'd say he has about as much chance of becoming the next hooker as what Hunt does replacing Cooper Cronk for Game 2.
He has had a pretty good season so far so I reckon he is a chance

Seriously, good on them.

Hunt can consider himself unlucky he didn't get to play Origin earlier. When Cronk went down in 2015, he was the form half for Queensland and would have been a better fit than DCE on that evening. While his form hasn't been great since then, maybe a change in scenery is all he needs to kick-start his career. In the mean time, it should serve as a nice confidence boost after his injury set-back.

McCullough has been one of the toughest players to emerge and his work-ethic is outstanding. He never quite lived up to his early promise, but he's been a great clubman so this is richly deserved.

There was an article earlier in the year that young guys on the bye during origin will be invited into the camp. Munster went in origin 1.

It's unfortunate milf is injured as he would've been in the camp for games 2 & 3

Also DCE plays this week so he was no chance

There was an article earlier in the year that young guys on the bye during origin will be invited into the camp. Munster went in origin 1.

It's unfortunate milf is injured as he would've been in the camp for games 2 & 3

Also DCE plays this week so he was no chance

Manly have the bye.

Kevvie just wants to surround himself with jets. He's got a few. Gillmeister, Hunt, Siebold, Hillier, Alf, Kevvie and Hetherington.

Friend is probably at home nursing his concussion.

Has Cherry-Evans been ex-communicated after the Titans deal/Game II 15?

Yes
His paperwork has been stamped never to be selected again and I'm happy with the decision.

He is the second best option we have. This year he has been much more creative around the ruck. Our FRF have been getting a few tries/line breaks. His kicking game and defense are better than Friend's too.

Active Now

• azza.79
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • upthebroncs
  • Sproj
  • Swordfish
  • johnny plath
  • Redfern_1980
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.