Hunt anoints Kodi Nikorima as the man to replace him

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
INJURED Broncos halfback Ben Hunt has anointed supersub Kodi Nikorima as the man to fill the No. 7 void for Friday night’s Queensland derby against the Titans.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett was tight-lipped about his options, saying three players — Nikorima, Sam Scarlett and Todd Murphy — are in the frame to partner five-eighth Anthony Milford.

Bennett will run the rule over Scarlett and Murphy when the halfbacks square off in the Intrust Super Cup clash between Souths Logan and Norths Devils on Sunday.

But Hunt insists his temporary scrumbase successor is clear cut, backing Nikorima to parlay his Kiwi Test experience into running Brisbane’s game plan against the Titans.

Asked if Nikorima is the best option to replace him, Hunt said: “100 per cent.

“Kodi has played (halfback) before, he’s had a lot of time there in the lower grades and he played the World Club Challenge there last year and played really well.

“He would be the one for the job.”

Hunt sent a scare through the Broncos camp when he hobbled off in Brisbane’s 32-8 rout of the Roosters on Thursday night, but he said his hamstring injury is not serious.

“It should just be a mild hammy strain. Hopefully the maximum is two (weeks out),” he said.

“It’s the first strain I’ve had in my body so it feels a bit strange.

“I scored the try (which was later disallowed) and I went to walk away and it (his hamstring) just grabbed.

“It sort of felt like a cramp and I thought I could stretch it out.

“I got ‘Jimmy’ (centre James Roberts) to stretch it ... but it made it feel worse.”

Hunt’s performances have polarised Brisbane fans but the Broncos are about to discover whether their scrumbase can truly function without him.

Nikorima is adamant he can step up. The 23-year-old was superb for feeder-club Norths in the opening five rounds of Queensland’s premier competition and has played three of his four Tests for New Zealand as a starting playmaker.

“I’ll put my hand up for sure and if the opportunity (to replace Hunt) comes my way, I will make the most of it,” Nikorima said.

“That five weeks in the state league really helped me. But if it’s now the case that I will be the halfback, then I have to work on my combinations with ‘Gillo’ (back-rower Matt Gillett) and ‘Darbs’ (fullback Darius Boyd).

“I see myself playing in the halves. I played my juniors there, so it’s up to me to train well and play well and perform there.”

Nikorima impressed against the Roosters in his return to the Broncos side following a shoulder reconstruction last year.

“It was good to be back out there. My shoulder is good, I didn’t even feel it,” he said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k/news-story/57dc03803003fa4935bdfe5f5683b6a7

Last week he was anointing Boyd, this week Nikorima. Make up your bloody mind Ben!

Just heard on Broncos Insider it is more serious than expected and could be 6-8 weeks.

I think he meant Kodi should replace him while he's out injured.
I know, I was just making fun of the fact that Ben keeps 'anointing' people.

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • NSW stables
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • scobie
  • BroncoFan94
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Foordy
  • pennywisealfie
  • Rookie Alan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.