'I was blown away to get that opportunity'

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS rake Andrew McCullough believes there is still more to come from him this year in what has already been a career-best season.

The Brisbane hooker, who is known for his great defensive efforts, showed on Thursday night that he is also developing his attacking game.

One of the Broncos’ most consistent players this year, McCullough played his hand in a number of big moments against the Bulldogs, including setting up a runaway try for Tautau Moga.

McCullough said finding balance within his game has been a major goal of his this season.

And he thinks he has a lot more he can do as Brisbane push for a big finals run.

“I’m building nicely and have some good confidence at the moment,” McCullough said.

“With my attack, it’s just something I can keep adjusting and keep working towards. It’s not (an instruction) that has come from anyone else, it’s a personal thing.

“It’s about how I feel about myself as a player. I want to develop and become the player I want to be.

“I love going to training and I love getting better and I think that’s a good sign.”

Australian coach Mal Meninga said earlier this year that McCullough was close to earning his Kangaroos debut for this year’s World Cup, but selectors wanted to see more from him in attack.

In a boost to his chances of getting that first representative jersey, the No. 9 also spent some time this year in Queensland camp.

He was with the side in their preparation for Games Two and Three and was able to learn from the game’s best in Cameron Smith.

McCullough said not only has the experience helped his confidence, but it has also with his drive to improve his attacking game.

“I wasn’t expecting it,” McCullough said of his call-up into the camp.

“I was blown away to get that opportunity and experience and to learn a few things. The boys are very welcoming and that’s probably why they’re so successful.

“I did learn some things (from Smith) that I would rather keep to myself. But they were things around my game that I can adapt and will help balance my game out from defence to attack.

“It’s working out OK and I am getting there slowly. I’m not getting carried away. I just want to continue this for the next six weeks.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/6103834aa4d4f79a2a9760029cacfcc2

BRONCOS rake Andrew McCullough believes there is still more to come from him this year in what has already been a career-best season.

The Brisbane hooker, who is known for his great defensive efforts, showed on Thursday night that he is also developing his attacking game.

One of the Broncos’ most consistent players this year, McCullough played his hand in a number of big moments against the Bulldogs, including setting up a runaway try for Tautau Moga.

McCullough said finding balance within his game has been a major goal of his this season.

And he thinks he has a lot more he can do as Brisbane push for a big finals run.

“I’m building nicely and have some good confidence at the moment,” McCullough said.

“With my attack, it’s just something I can keep adjusting and keep working towards. It’s not (an instruction) that has come from anyone else, it’s a personal thing.

“It’s about how I feel about myself as a player. I want to develop and become the player I want to be.

“I love going to training and I love getting better and I think that’s a good sign.”

Australian coach Mal Meninga said earlier this year that McCullough was close to earning his Kangaroos debut for this year’s World Cup, but selectors wanted to see more from him in attack.

In a boost to his chances of getting that first representative jersey, the No. 9 also spent some time this year in Queensland camp.

He was with the side in their preparation for Games Two and Three and was able to learn from the game’s best in Cameron Smith.

McCullough said not only has the experience helped his confidence, but it has also with his drive to improve his attacking game.

“I wasn’t expecting it,” McCullough said of his call-up into the camp.

“I was blown away to get that opportunity and experience and to learn a few things. The boys are very welcoming and that’s probably why they’re so successful.

“I did learn some things (from Smith) that I would rather keep to myself. But they were things around my game that I can adapt and will help balance my game out from defence to attack.

“It’s working out OK and I am getting there slowly. I’m not getting carried away. I just want to continue this for the next six weeks.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/6103834aa4d4f79a2a9760029cacfcc2
Sounds like going to camp did him the world of good.

Active Now

• Mister Wright
  • broncos4life
  • Johnny92
  • theshed
  • sooticus
  • Jazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrTickyMcG
  • heartly87
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
  • rj9
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.