If you could choose the channel to get the footy...

Which station? You can pick 2

• Total voters
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
It would be awesome for those with pay tv but it would be very bad for the sport.

I heard with the AFL that Fox might be doing a deal where they show every game, 5 exclusive and 3 simultaneously.

That would be epic, best of both worlds.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I would like FoxSports equipment to be used, and for FoxSports to broadcast it and then whatever channel has rights, can use it.

Does anyone really think Channel 9 will lose the rights though? Like lets think realistically. They've been doing it for ever. They've got the commentators that everyone knows. They have all the equipment. Etc. etc.

Oh, then there is the whole, NRL not having a pair.

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
Nashy said:
I would like FoxSports equipment to be used, and for FoxSports to broadcast it and then whatever channel has rights, can use it.

Does anyone really think Channel 9 will lose the rights though? Like lets think realistically. They've been doing it for ever. They've got the commentators that everyone knows. They have all the equipment. Etc. etc.

Oh, then there is the whole, NRL not having a pair.

I honestly don't mind Ch9's coverage. The only issue I have with it is the disrespect they show the fans outside of Qld and NSW. I do think that if Ch10 got the rights, the games would be live in all states - meaning no waiting til midnight to watch Storm games in Melbourne.

Not trying to sound like a fanboy or anything, but One HD is the best thing to happen to Aussie TV in years. Their panel and news shows are head and shoulders above the other stations, and they've even schooled themselves in regards to Formula One. I remember watching it years ago, when there was no qualifying coverage, and you had to wait an extra hour and a half past the scheduled starting time because Big F***ing Brother ran late. The problem is, not enough quality content, too much filler. The NRL rights would rectify that to an extent.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
I would like to see Ch 10 get the rights. From all reports they do a pretty good job with the AFL. I also think they are going to make a massive play for it. This year they have implemented not 1 but 2 weekly RL panel shows - both of which are very good IMO and hosted/paneled by people who are also commentators a lot of people know (on radio and I think in the past have also been involved in Fox coverage). I just don't see them going to all this effort for a sport that they don't intend to go after in a really big way. Plus there's the Murdoch and Packer involvement.

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I would be happy with Ch 10 but Ch 9 will fight to the death for it. When is it up for renewal?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
schmix said:
I would be happy with Ch 10 but Ch 9 will fight to the death for it. When is it up for renewal?
Finishes 2012 so late this year to mid next year is when any deal would likely to be finalised.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Where is the option in the poll for "Screw FTA, give it to fox"?

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Ch9 showed the game live into Melbourne this afternoon - seems they are maybe starting to treat some fans better

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
The Rock said:
draggx said:
Where is the option in the poll for "Screw FTA, give it to fox"?

I'm sure Chris "Anti-Foxtel" Cox would have something to say about that....

Dunno about Coxy, but Chris "Anti-Foxtel" Duke says that's a great idea. It's time to take the NRL away from Free To Air and finally take the fight up to those powerhouses of Australian sport, the A-League and rugby union.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Not sure how putting League on foxtel will be taking it to the A league and Union. I reckon if the A league was on FTA it would have a shit load more fans. Be a huge call to take League off FTA .

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Be a huge call for the NRL to grow a pair and actually get the fans a good deal. But they won't. 9 control this game.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Best thing for the game is to give the rights to someone else. Channel 9 won't lose the League though because they missed out on the AFL so they won't want to lose League.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
AFL rights haven't been finalised yet - Ch9 is still in there with a chance for them. And Ch9 isn't as scary a prospect for the NRL to stand up to anymore - it was more Kerry Packer being the one in control rather than Ch9. I'm not saying Ch9 will lose the rights, but I think the chances of a change in broadcaster is higher this time around than it has been for many many many years and Chs 10 and 7 are both much more prepared to go after them than they have for a very long time.

I actually think the best way to go is to split things up and sell the NRL and Rep Footy as separate packages. It might mean 2 different broadcasters (most likely) or the same broadcaster could buy both. I really think this will actually get the game more overall "TV money".

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Origin should certainly be a separate event and would be worth a heap so the game could make some good money out of that.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I'm against selling them separate. Just think it's stupid to have to have a new team of "experts" for three games a year.

Love our commentators or not, at least they can comment on how player X has gone this year, what he did in this game against team x. etc.

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
Nashy said:
I'm against selling them separate. Just think it's stupid to have to have a new team of "experts" for three games a year.

Love our commentators or not, at least they can comment on how player X has gone this year, what he did in this game against team x. etc.

Selling them separately doesn't necessarily mean that they'll end up on different stations - it just means that Ch9 can't take SoO for granted if they take the NRL rights.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Pablo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.