If you could choose the channel to get the footy...

Which station? You can pick 2

• Total voters
F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Exactly same channel could have both packages. And you know what else, Nashy - even if it does end up with 2 different broadcasters, there are other RL experts not in the employ of Ch 9 who can comment just as well (actually probably better) as the Ch 9 commentators on how player X has gone this year, what he did in this game against team x. etc. Just because they may not be actually calling the games each week on Ch 9 doesn't mean they aren't watching them and analysing them.

The "different commentators" arguement is one of the least logical arguements against splitting the broadcast rights, that I hear from people.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Good for the people who's arguments you've heard I guess. I want league on two networks. Whatever FTA wants it so they can neglect it, and Fox.

As above. Ideally I don't want FTA to have any of it.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6040568992

LEAGUE fans are being denied the chance to watch games in high definition on free-to-air TV as networks refuse to spend more money on the technology.

While AFL devotees can enjoy high-definition TV on free-to-air every week, last season Channel 9, which holds the free-to-air NRL rights, showed just one NRL game in HD - the grand final.

Nine's HD channel GEM - vaunted as a mix of classics, new content and sport - has become the go-to for Golden Girls and Murder, She Wrote tragics.

Nine's owner, private equity firm CVC, had wanted expenses kept to a minimum ahead of a planned $4 billion float, which now appears to be on the rocks.

Ten shoots all its AFL games in high definition for One HD. And while Seven does not show regular-season AFL in HD, it did for last year's finals and plans to do so again this year.

Nine did show origin in HD and 3D so really they did 4 games in HD.

I have to say 3D footy is bloody brilliant. I went to the movies to watch it and the extra depth is just awesome, it really makes the game awesome to watch.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
broncospwn said:

I have to say 3D footy is bloody brilliant. I went to the movies to watch it and the extra depth is just awesome, it really makes the game awesome to watch.
Can't wait for Origin this year on my 60" 3D TV! :P

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Porthoz said:
broncospwn said:

Oh man I'm really jealous now [icon_frown

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
broncospwn said:
Porthoz said:
broncospwn said:

Origin party at porthoz's place.

BYO nerd glasses. Dawson's ready.
tumblr_lgbiutS7Go1qf8yek.gif

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Coxy said:
broncospwn said:
Porthoz said:
broncospwn said:

Origin party at porthoz's place.

BYO nerd glasses. Dawson's ready.
tumblr_lgbiutS7Go1qf8yek.gif
I'm in!

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
LOLZ, I think I would need to build stands in the lounge [icon_lol1.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
broncospwn said:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/miser-nine-leaves-nrl-fans-in-hd-desert/story-e6frep5x-1226040568992

LEAGUE fans are being denied the chance to watch games in high definition on free-to-air TV as networks refuse to spend more money on the technology.

While AFL devotees can enjoy high-definition TV on free-to-air every week, last season Channel 9, which holds the free-to-air NRL rights, showed just one NRL game in HD - the grand final.

Nine's HD channel GEM - vaunted as a mix of classics, new content and sport - has become the go-to for Golden Girls and Murder, She Wrote tragics.

Nine's owner, private equity firm CVC, had wanted expenses kept to a minimum ahead of a planned $4 billion float, which now appears to be on the rocks.

Ten shoots all its AFL games in high definition for One HD. And while Seven does not show regular-season AFL in HD, it did for last year's finals and plans to do so again this year.

Actually it was plenty more than 1 game in HD, through Foxtel boxes anyway. Channel 209 used to be Channel 9, in HD. So whatever was on Ch9, was being shown in HD on 209, including 3 games of footy per week. It was bloody fantastic, and totally shit when they converted it to GEM.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah, but it was the Channel 9 SD feel upscaled. So it still wasn't real HD.

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Nashy said:
Yeah, but it was the Channel 9 SD feel upscaled. So it still wasn't real HD.

Oh I see. Fair enough. Still looked a hundred times better!!

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah I never have been able to understand why they use the HD channels to show the crappy old shows instead of the sport and new shows. Doesn't make sense they use to good technology on the crap

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Because not everyone has that technology I guess.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Nashy said:
I think most people have HD tv's nowadays though.

Virtually every big screen tv is HD. Full HD is a few years away but just HD at home is pretty much standard these days.

I don't understand it though how expensive can this stuff possibly be? A 300-400 video camera can give you full HD without a worry is it really THAT expensive? Pretty much any shit camera can do HD and sure they have full on cameras but how much would it cost, 5k a camera times say, 10 cameras? Not that much in the big scheme of things. I might be missing something cause I don't really know how the TV business works behind the scenes.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Those cheap cams dont do 1080i though.

And think about just how many cameras they use each weekend.

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
broncospwn said:
Nashy said:
I think most people have HD tv's nowadays though.

Virtually every big screen tv is HD. Full HD is a few years away but just HD at home is pretty much standard these days.

I don't understand it though how expensive can this stuff possibly be? A 300-400 video camera can give you full HD without a worry is it really THAT expensive? Pretty much any shit camera can do HD and sure they have full on cameras but how much would it cost, 5k a camera times say, 10 cameras? Not that much in the big scheme of things. I might be missing something cause I don't really know how the TV business works behind the scenes.

I know there are a lot of people using old CRT TVs with digital set top boxes to get TV, and they can't watch any HD channels. 9 would be excluding them from their highest rating programs.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
There are HD set top boxes that work on old CRT TVs. You don't get the high def goodness, but you can watch the content.

My parents have an old 68cm CRT and HD STB and they can watch Gem etc.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • Pablo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.