If you were broncos coach

Only using what we have now, this is what i'd go with ( some players would need a top 30 upgrade.

1 Bird. Needs to be involved more, and i think he can do this from fullback
2 Oates. No brainer, best winger we have.
3 Roberts. Same as Oates really, when fit our best center.
4 Staggs. Lets give him a run there, he needs to be playing now.
5 Boyd. Think he is finished as a fullback despite him still being the best we have.

6 Milf. Let Milf be Milf again and be the five eighth we need.
7 SoS/Dearden. Torn between letting SOS be possibly just the functional half we need a bit like Wallace or Perry, or just giving Dearden the gametime to develop.

8 Lodge. Our number one prop.
9 Macca. I dont see another option, but we need to use him for the first 20 mins then bring him off.
10 Haas. Stick him in, develop him.
11 Gillett. I think he can manage playing on the left side perfectly well.
12 Fifita. I think he is miles in front of Sua and Glenn basing things from this seasons performances.
13 Carrigan. Again, another young player who will get better and better the more he plays. A workhorse, a leader and always puts his hand up for the tough stuff.

14 Knik. When we bring off Macca, we have Knik to provide the spark we badly lack.
15 Joffa. Needs to go back to being a bench player and lift his game. Think he has been very average so far.
16 TPJ. Will provide huge impact from the bench, and i think we need it.
17 Glenn/ Sua. Both much of a muchness right now, but Glenn is ahead imo. His effort is just better right now. Sua needs games and fitness.

I'd also be happy having Flegler in for Joffa or instead of a backrower on the bench.

I think we can bring on some younger guys and still be competitive tbh.

Last edited:
Only using what we have now, this is what i'd go with ( some players would need a top 30 upgrade.

5 Boyd. Think he is finished as a fullback despite him still being the best we have.

7 SoS/Dearden. Torn between letting SOS be possibly just the functional half we need a bit like Wallace of Perry, or just giving Dearden the gametime to develop.

9 Macca. I dont see another option, but we need to use him for the first 20 mins then bring him off.
12 Fifita. I think he is miles in front of Sua and Glenn basing things from this seasons performances.
13 Carrigan. Again, another young player who will get better and better the more he plays. A workhorse, a leader and always puts his hand up for the tough stuff.

14 Knik. When we bring off Macca, we have Knik to provide the spark we badly lack.
15 Joffa. Needs to go back to being a bench player and lift his game. Think he has been very average so far.
17 Glenn/ Sua. Both much of a muchness right now, but Glenn is ahead imo. His effort is just better right now. Sua needs games and fitness.

I'd also be happy having Flegler in for Joffa or instead of a backrower on the bench.

Looks pretty good to me, what do we have to lose really based on last night. I just really want to see a young half given a go more than anything as sick to death of persisting with KNik at 7 when it is clearly not his position despite him doing the best he can.

Last edited:

7 SoS/Dearden. Torn between letting SOS be possibly just the functional half we need a bit like Wallace or Perry, or just giving Dearden the gametime to develop.

Like this team a lot Wolfie. Completely forgot about Haas when I did mine.

I have a question regarding your lover Carrigan. Given I have not seen a lot of him play. Our defence up the middle is sorely lacking atm and by all reports Carrigan appears to be a natural leader.

How do you rate Patty's defence? Do you think he could bring an immediate positive impact to our teams defensive attitude?

Like this team a lot Wolfie. Completely forgot about Haas when I did mine.

I have a question regarding your lover Carrigan. Given I have not seen a lot of him play. Our defence up the middle is sorely lacking atm and by all reports Carrigan appears to be a natural leader.

How do you rate Patty's defence? Do you think he could bring an immediate positive impact to our teams defensive attitude?

I think he is a fine defender and i do think his attitude would help, but at the same time, he is only 21 and he will probably still have a few errors here and there. One thing i do know is he wont hide even if things arent going well for him or the team. It would be a lot to ask though for a 21 year old to show a lot of leadership, but at the same time i think he is capable of doing it. He doesnt lack confidence.

If Dearden was thrown in, which I am not against at all, would it be of concern that he'd be getting little protection from his second-rower and centre? Would he be getting thrown to the wolves given how poorly this side is playing?

If Dearden was thrown in, which I am not against at all, would it be of concern that he'd be getting little protection from his second-rower and centre? Would he be getting thrown to the wolves given how poorly this side is playing?

legit concern

although, our next two games are against weaker sides in the Tigers and Raiders, so he could ease his way into things.

1. Isaako - gets his chance to atone. If not, Bird
2. Oates
3. Roberts (only if 100%)/Staggs
4. Bird/Staggs
5. Perese/Farnworth, then Isaako if FB doesn’t work

6. Milford

7. Dearden or SoS. Make Qcup a legit shootout for the spot

8. Lodge

9. Turpinator - Wolfie can point out he’s not even the Phins primary hooker but we need something different and I like him

10. Mago - sorely underrated and loves to hit people. Get him in there

11. Fifita
12. Gillo - whichever side suits whomever, hopefully one can adapt quickly.

13. Joe Offa - may be better taking the third/fourth hit up and played well there last year

14. Niko or Staggs if he doesn’t get a starting spot (game by game basis)

15. Pangai when he’s not injured or suspended and needs the riot act read to him in regards to his dumb **** efforts. Flegler his replacement

16. Haas. See how he goes at least to start off with and assess from there

17. Flegler or Carrigan - Flegs has the inside running it seems but it’d be nice to see what Patty can do. But I feel he’s a big minute guy whereas Tom can have the impact we need. Whoever doesn’t make it is first drop for Pangai injury and/or suspension

Massively. It would be a huge gamble. You'd have to promote him to your 30, so take up a spot with a 18 year old half who is still trying to put on weight so he doesn't weigh 60kg.

After one ISC game where he missed six tackles. Mackay didn't even have time to plan for him, imagine if they knew he was going to play and could make sure they worked him over. Or even if he'd been up against the Blackhawks or Easts.

Then he'd come into a struggling side with poor defence. It's pretty much everything a young half doesn't need.

O'Sullivan's one game of ISC was far from settled and sure. He was trying way too much. I wrote at length about it and he just had too much going on.

Needed to show a cooler head and work with Ahern and Dargan but he did the opposite. He needs to find his Residents form again because his ISC form here and end of last year in Sydney has been too Tim Smith not enough Cooper Cronk.

Last edited:
Massively. It would be a huge gamble. You'd have to promote him to your 30, so take up a spot with a 18 year old half who is still trying to put on weight so he doesn't weigh 60kg.

After one ISC game where he missed six tackles. Mackay didn't even have time to plan for him, imagine if they knew he was going to play and could make sure they worked him over. Or even if he'd been up against the Blackhawks or Easts.

Then he'd come into a struggling side with poor defence. It's pretty much everything a young half doesn't need.

1910, Wolfie and any other of you fellas who know a lot about the ISC comp, are there any seasoned halfbacks we could possibly bring into our 30, and hence, the first grade team? Does Cameron Cullen still go alright? Sorry, haven't watched any ISC this year yet. There must be some experienced half out there floating about in QLD or NSW Cup who knows how to play the role we so desperately need. Just that Shane Perry type.

Last edited:
O'Sullivan's one game of ISC was far from settled and sure. He was trying way too much. I wrote at length about it and he just had too much going on.

Needed to show a cooler head and work with Ahern and Dargan but he did the opposite. He needs to find his Residents form again because his ISC form here and end of last year in Sydney has been too Tim Smith not enough Cooper Cronk.

Which version of Tim Smith?

I dont think we really have any other viable options i'd be willing to throw in apart from him tbh.

1910, Wolfie and any other of you fellas who know a lot about the ISC comp, are there any seasoned halfbacks we could possibly bring into our 30, and hence, the first grade team? Does Cameron Cullen still go alright? Sorry, haven't watched any ISC this year yet. There must be some experienced half out there floating about in QLD or NSW Cup who knows how to play the role we so desperately need. Just that Shane Perry type.

Cullen is out for the year.

Cullen did his knee in pre-season.

Which version of Tim Smith?

I dont think we really have any other viable options i'd be willing to throw in apart from him tbh.

The loose one the just did the big play and wasn't too keen on doing the where are we going, why are we going there, how are we going to get there and what do we do when we get there thinking.

Awesome idea for a thread @Renegade

Top stuff. Some great responses.

Interesting scenario. Firstly, it's a job I could never do.

Being a coach at any level is hard enough. The coach of the Brisbane Broncos - that's pressure on a whole different level.

When Wayne Bennett returned in 2015, I think it was Robert Craddock that said big clubs need big personalities.

There may be something in that.

The problems I see with the side, in no particular order, are:

- Dead weight. They need to be cut loose. For some of our players, their best football is behind them and they're on their third or fourth coach now and haven't shown much improvement under most of them.

- Complete lack of respect for possession of the football and respect for the opposition. Too many times Brisbane just seem like they'll coast to a win. Those terrible kicks on the third tackle. Squandering possession, either after scoring points, or in prime attacking real estate, is incredibly frustrating to watch.

A coach should put an emphasis on completing sets and kicking to the corners. There is no better way of building pressure.

- Marker defence is shockingly bad and/or non-existent. It's terrible to watch as a fan. Good luck fixing that.

- Something I've noticed that doesn't seem to get much traction (so I could be imagining things) but does it seem to you like the squad are just going through the motions and don't want to be there? There seems to be a real malaise affecting the club. They don't look like they're enjoying their footy at all.

A theory I had that might have been the root cause of this was the attrition that sets in with a long term coach like Bennett. I thought Seibold would bring an energy and vitality to the club and the players would respond to it.

Even if results weren't going our way, I thought the promise of a new approach would be obvious. That hasn't been the case, imo.

There are other problems, particularly with the spine, but those problems I highlighted are the ones getting my goat up.

Anyways, it's still early days. There are some positives - am liking Staggs - what a player he'll be!

I want to see the Broncs do well.

Unread

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • leon.bott
  • ivanhungryjak
  • marw
  • lynx000
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Lozza
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • Cavalo
  • Morkel
  • broncsgoat
  • LittleDavey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.