Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Source: Broncos.com.au
broncos.com.au
Sun 7 May 2023, 03:28 PM

Brisbane Broncos today farewelled Ben Ikin from his role of Head of Football Operations. Broncos CEO, Dave Donaghy, said: "Ben has made a valuable contribution to our club since he arrived in mid-2021. "The football program and playing roster needed an overhaul, and Ben very diligently worked with other key staff to knock both into shape, and our results this year reflect those efforts. "We thank Ben for his contribution and wish him all the best for the future."

Ikin said: "I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Broncos and certainly learned a lot. "I leave here knowing the football program is in better shape than when I arrived. "There are a lot of good people at the Broncos doing great work, and I know that ultimate success for the club is getting much closer."

He’ll miss sitting with the team during the games I’m sure.

Oh no, who will be our doorman now?

Not actually sure what he did or was involved with. The two big signings happened before he came in and the signings for this year like Marty seems he also had no involvement in. The clean out maybe?

Will this effect us or not because social media is blowing up?? Thoughts on this

I never really cared for Ikin or liked him, so wasn't necessarily thrilled with him coming on board in the first place. The place has turned around in the last few years but how much of that is Walters/DD/Ikin we will never know. We can only judge on results which have improved, but they've improved even more so after he took a backseat to Walters so who knows.

Thanks I guess, but he was paid handsomely for his role and DD clearly didn't see the value in keeping him happy and I'm willing to bet DD would have made sure he was happy if he was pivotal.

If he just moved on because he's getting the QRL CEO gig good luck to him. If he got "pushed out" I have no reason to doubt DD's decision making. The club has only went upwards since he became CEO.

He's a very smart individual, I'd love to know who did what within the four walls of HQ.

I hope all relationships remain in tact.

The only issue I have is if Ikin was forced out we will have lost any favour with Kent. His broncos coverage from here on in will indicate on what terms ben left on….whether he is vitriolic towards us will be the clue.

The bloke is a flog and uses his tv show for hisa personal agendas.

Sort of feel that although sort of nice, reading between the lines, DD's comments posted above about Ikin's contribution aren't that glowing. He seems like a smart operator but it appears we haven't gone out of our way to keep him around and happy to let him go.

Not sure what his role was and how well he performed. Apparently he pushed for the Capewell signing, and I haven't really been impressed with Capewell at all. I guess we'll find out in the next couple of years?

So are we to assume he will be QRL CEO?

I never really cared for Ikin or liked him, so wasn't necessarily thrilled with him coming on board in the first place.
Couldn't form an opinion on him in his latest career iteration, either way. But he was my designated whipping boy when he played in the halves for us (I always seem to have one). Was nothing special as a player despite how he might look on paper to those who never saw him play. But he was good enough to win us a premiership, so what would I know?

Good luck to him. This won't be the last we see of Ben Ikin.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  • Bish
  • Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • TimWhatley
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.