Types of Broncos' offences.

High tackle 6
Hands in ruck 6
Offside 5
Holding down 5
Ball stripping 4
Marker not square 4
Obstruction 2

The list is largely avoidable if you're not exhausted and frustrated.

How soon after kick off do we start conceding penalties? Do they begin to accumulate the longer the match progresses?

Penalties against

Broncos 54
Souths 49
Cronulla 43
Coast 43
Melbourne 42

High tackle 6
Hands in ruck 6
Offside 5
Holding down 5
Ball stripping 4
Marker not square 4
Obstruction 2

I'm not for a moment suggesting we don't have work to do, it's blatantly clear we do.

That said, we are far from the only 'exhausted and frustrated' side in the competition. We're also far from the only team getting soundly beaten basically week in week out.

For whatever reason though, we are a HUGE statistical outlier in both penalties awarded and penalties conceded. These numbers are from after Round 6, but here they again anyway just for context on how far outside everyone else we actually are:

So I've done the maths since the Newcastle game...

So it turns out, we're -29 on For/Against so far this season.

That's not -29 in actual points mind you, that's -29 just in PENALTIES awarded For/Against.

To put how horrendous that is into context across the competition:

- It's not even close, the next worse off team is the Dragons in single digits at -7 which makes them still 22 penalties overall better off than us, or 3.6 penalties a week.

- Parramatta and Manly are the best off with both teams +18, so in effect they're currently 47 penalties better off than us, in just SIX Rounds of football, which is about 7.8 penalties a game better off than we are!

- Unbelievably, there are only 4 teams on the actual ladder (one of them is us) that have a worse For/Against in ACTUAL points scored/conceded than we have just in our penalty differential alone.

Honestly, I can appreciate we've been poor. In fact outright hopeless at times. But **** me, so have the Titans, Dragons and Warriors at times, and when you see referee controlled statistics like this are such significant statistical outliers, you really do have to ask if there isn't more to this than just us being playing woefully since the season kicked off.

To just add a final point, prior to winning the penalty count against the Titans on Saturday, we'd gone almost exactly 10 months to the very day since we last actually won a penalty count in the NRL.

Last edited:
Penalties against

Broncos 54

High tackle 6
Hands in ruck 6
Offside 5
Holding down 5
Ball stripping 4
Marker not square 4
Obstruction 2

The remaining 22 are set restarts it seems.

Last edited:
I'm not for a moment suggesting we don't have work to do, it's blatantly clear we do.

That said, we are far from the only 'exhausted and frustrated' side in the competition. We're also far from the only team getting soundly beaten basically week in week out.

For whatever reason though, we are a HUGE statistical outlier in both penalties awarded and penalties conceded. These numbers are from after Round 6, but here they again anyway just for context on how far outside everyone else we actually are:

That's not -29 in actual points mind you, that's -29 just in PENALTIES awarded For/Against.

- It's not even close, the next worse off team is the Dragons in single digits at -7 which makes them still 22 penalties overall better off than us, or 3.6 penalties a week.

- Parramatta and Manly are the best off with both teams +18, so in effect they're currently 47 penalties better off than us, in just SIX Rounds of football, which is about 7.8 penalties a game better off than we are!

- Unbelievably, there are only 4 teams on the actual ladder (one of them is us) that have a worse For/Against in ACTUAL points scored/conceded than we have just in our penalty differential alone.

Honestly, I can appreciate we've been poor. In fact outright hopeless at times. But **** me, so have the Titans, Dragons and Warriors at times, and when you see referee controlled statistics like this are such significant statistical outliers, you really do have to ask if there isn't more to this than just us being playing woefully since the season kicked off.

To just add a final point, prior to winning the penalty count against the Titans on Saturday, we'd gone almost exactly 10 months to the very day since we last actually won a penalty count in the NRL.

What a coincidence that that run appears to have coincided with the penalty Broncos meme.

The PenaltyBroncos thing worked it's magic.

They conditioned the south to the idea we were favoured at sometime past.
Now no one notices the penalties WE AREN'T AWARDED. For decades we have been awarded the fewest penalties (or close to it with an anomaly or two) It's been that way since they(nsw media) claimed Bill Harrigan favoured the Broncos.

The fact is we can't do anything about the penalties we should be getting and we shouldn't have to be better than the other teams to get an AVERAGE share over long time spans(10 years or more) Given we play everyone else as do they all, shouldn't we be midtable over time considering we make the top eight most seasons.

We don't see that I think and I'm guessing historical records would show us receiving the fewest penalties over the distance.

Penalties against

Broncos 54
Souths 49
Cronulla 43
Coast 43
Melbourne 42

High tackle 6
Hands in ruck 6
Offside 5
Holding down 5
Ball stripping 4
Marker not square 4
Obstruction 2

So basically the broncos are terrible at defence. All of those main offences are because they can’t hold take the pressure the opposition put on them.

It's probably causal correlation, but more a case of we suck at the new interpretation of the rules and tend to be a penalty magnet team instead of systemic bias. Easy enough fixed with attitude and coaching improvements ............

The PenaltyBroncos thing worked it's magic.

They conditioned the south to the idea we were favoured at sometime past.
Now no one notices the penalties WE AREN'T AWARDED. For decades we have been awarded the fewest penalties (or close to it with an anomaly or two) It's been that way since they(nsw media) claimed Bill Harrigan favoured the Broncos.

The fact is we can't do anything about the penalties we should be getting and we shouldn't have to be better than the other teams to get an AVERAGE share over long time spans(10 years or more) Given we play everyone else as do they all, shouldn't we be midtable over time considering we make the top eight most seasons.

We don't see that I think and I'm guessing historical records would show us receiving the fewest penalties over the distance.
I checked, and we’ve been in the bottom 4 sides for penalties awarded TO us going back at least as far as 2016, it may have gone further but in truth by that point I’d given up. We were actually outright last in 2018 and unless something drastically shifts we will almost certainly be outright last again in 2020, which will mean we’ve been bottom three in two of the last three seasons for penalties awarded.

We only finished 1 win below first place in 2018 and we’re running bottom four this year, which kinda reinforces the notion that it’s not just about us being poor with our on field results this year, because for at least 5 years now no matter where we’ve finished on the ladder we’ve been simply unable to get even close to an even share of penalties awarded to us.

No amount of coaching or discipline or being less frustrated can change a number like that. With such a consistent patten over such an extended period it’s blatantly clear that plainly and simply we just aren’t being treated fairly by the officials.

It’s fine to say we concede penalties because we lack discipline, that’s largely true, but it simply isn’t realistic to suggest the entire Competition magically turns up on its best behaviour week in week out year after year when they play us going back for at least five years now.

It’s an outrageous statistical outlier and I’m stunned the club either isn’t aware of it, or worse, is fully aware of it and is just happy to cop it on the chin all this time.

Last edited:
I checked, and we’ve been in the bottom 4 sides for penalties awarded TO us going back at least as far as 2016, it may have gone further but in truth by that point I’d given up. We were actually outright last in 2018 and unless something drastically shifts we will almost certainly be outright last again in 2020, which will mean we’ve been bottom three in two of the last three seasons for penalties awarded.

We only finished 1 win below first place in 2018 and we’re running bottom four this year, which kinda reinforces the notion that it’s not just about us being poor with our on field results this year, because for at least 5 years now no matter where we’ve finished on the ladder we’ve been simply unable to get even close to an even share of penalties awarded to us.

No amount of coaching or discipline or being less frustrated can change a number like that. With such a consistent patten over such an extended period it’s blatantly clear that plainly and simply we just aren’t being treated fairly by the officials.

It’s fine to say we concede penalties because we lack discipline, that’s largely true, but it simply isn’t realistic to suggest the entire Competition magically turns up on its best behaviour week in week out year after year when they play us going back for at least five years now.

It’s an outrageous statistical outlier and I’m stunned the club either isn’t aware of it, or worse, is fully aware of it and is just happy to cop it on the chin all this time.
Oh, it goes back much further than 2015 ! I think from memory I might have done a bit of a tally as I had a notion we were being shafted back then and if I'm right it's 25 years or so where we have been the least awarded team just about every year.

I hope Big Pete does his thing but you're dead right, why the **** do teams, every single one of them probably seem to be squeaky clean when they play us but against each other their average returns to normal.

Just to update after Round 10:

Brisbane Penalties For: 34
Brisbane Penalties Against 64
Net Position -30 (dead last)

Our closest neighbour for penalties conceded is Souths on 60, although they've interestingly also been awarded 52 penalties, which is well inside the top half, so only sit at -8 overall.

Our next closest neighbour on overall differential is Canberra with a -10 net position, which is still +20 penalties better off than us overall, or 2.2 penalties per Round.

Manly lead the net position overall now, with +22, which makes them +52 overall better off than the Broncos, which works out at 5.7 penalties a week broken down per round.

So nearing the halfway point and unless something drastic shifts, Brisbane will finish dead last on the differential as well as dead last for penalties awarded to us, which would ensure we continue our run of bottom 4-5 finishes for penalties awarded to us going all the way back to 2014.

Last edited:
How it currently stands. Maybe it's a Bennett legacy...

Screenshot 2020 07 14 Teams

Last edited:

Our closest neighbour for penalties conceded is Souths on 60, although they've interestingly also been awarded 52 penalties, which is well inside the top half, so only sit at -8 overall.

Our next closest neighbour on overall differential is Canberra with a -10 net position, which is still +20 penalties better off than us overall, or 2.2 penalties per Round.

Manly lead the net position overall now, with +22, which makes them +52 overall better off than the Broncos, which works out at 5.7 penalties a week broken down per round.

So nearing the halfway point and unless something drastic shifts, Brisbane will finish dead last on the differential as well as dead last for penalties awarded to us, which would ensure we continue our run of bottom 4-5 finishes for penalties awarded to us going all the way back to 2014.
It's pretty shocking when you think about. I mean 2014! We should be used to it by now surely?

It's pretty shocking when you think about. I mean 2014! We should be used to it by now surely?
It turns out #penaltybroncos was correct all along, it was just that it was us conceding them rather than having them awarded to us.

It's quite stunning what NSW fans will accept as true when there is no basis in reality simply because Foxsports or social media tells them it's so.

Last edited:
It turns out #penaltybroncos was correct all along, it was just that it was us conceding them rather than having them awarded to us.

It's quite stunning what NSW fans will accept as true when there is no basis in reality simply because Foxsports or social media tells them it's so.
Hey, it's a sad indictment on society not just league fans. Cambridge Analytica made a fortune and in doing so changed the course of a considerable number of country's futures manipulating it.

In it's present state, social media is quite the cancer on society.

Last edited:

Wonder how we’d fare if penalty magnets Flegler and Ofahengaue were removed from the stats.

Wonder how we’d fare if penalty magnets Flegler and Ofahengaue were removed from the stats.
I know Joffa is playing way below his best, but I did not realise he was also a penalty magnet too. Are his stats that bad?

You're only seeing half the picture though. It isn't just us conceding a heap of penalties, we are also absolutely dreadful at getting penalties awarded to us - as highlighted by us not making it out of the bottom 4-5 sides for penalties awarded to us going back to 2014 - when both Offa and Flegler were still in high school.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Allo
  • Midean
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  • ezpz
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • LittleDavey
  • Battler
  • Strop
  • Jazza
  • RodF
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • theshed
  • ThomasovPreaf
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.