TACKLES MADE (EFFICIENCY)
Anthony Milford 81 (77%)
Brodie Croft 169 (92%)
Patrick Carrigan 305 (96%)
Jamil Hopoate 140 (91.5%)
Tevita Pangai 127 (91%)
Herbie Farnworth 97 (91%)

One player seems to be more concerning than the others

Interesting to compare Milford's defence with some other halves to give a better picture. Like Mitchell Pearce - tackle efficiency 74.4%, Nathan Cleary - 74.9%, Mitch Moses - 66.8%

This stat doesn't necessarily correspond to where their teams are on the ladder, and relative contributions to that.

Last edited:
Interesting to compare Milford's defence with some other halves to give a better picture. Like Mitchell Pearce - tackle efficiency 74.4%, Nathan Cleary - 74.9%, Mitch Moses - 66.8%

This stat doesn't necessarily correspond to where their teams are on the ladder, and relative contributions to that.
Wasnt really looking to take a shot at Milford, I was generally interested to see what their tackling efficiency looked like compared to how many missed tackles they have... was also looking to bring some context before the inevitable "bwah Croft is missing tackles... see his defence is shit. Get him out!!"

I think fox may be deliberately misleading with what they're putting up. By listing out names and numbers with no context they have planted a seed in people's minds that player x, y & z are letting their team down when in reality almost all the players on that list have an efficiency rate above 90%.

Interesting to note that Darius also has 10 missed tackles, which is the same as Herbie, but they've decided to include Herbie and omit Darius... why?? Darius is the bigger name so why not put him in the list and let the fans do some more bashing.... couldn't be because they have released a couple articles recently saying that Darius is the second best defensive centre in the comp and having his name in the list of missed tackles undermines their previous articles could it.

With most of the players being over 90% it actually suggests missed tackles may not be a concern for the team despite our horrendous defence... but fox haven't done any sort of digging to find out what our issues in defence actually are, because they don't really care.

They haven't exposed how far off our discipline apparently is compared to the rest of the comp... wouldn't want to expose any sort of favouritism and go against the #penaltybroncos narrative now would we.

How about how many run meters we concede... how brittle our edge defence is (number of times attacked vs how many tries we let in would be interesting).

Fox have literally done the bare minimum to get clicks "who's the worst player on your team... click here to see the facts"

It's just lazy, but what else is new.

Last edited:
Pat certainly needs to work on his penalty count.
I think it's a reflection of how hard he works and learning to pace himself in games. Something a lot of our squad are lacking. Others don't work at all and players like him take it upon themselves to take up the slack, and inevitably slowing the ruck to get us some resemblance of a defensive line.
If anything, its that the team needs a even spread in effort.
More than a few need a blow torch put to them, but as I said, we really don't have the means without q cup to show who's ready.

I understand what you're saying and I've already agreed with it, our discipline is simply not good enough and we make it very hard for ourselves with the number of penalties we've conceded in recent years.

Let's assume we do turn that discipline around though, it might even out our deficit overall, but until we can be awarded even just a mid table number of penalties in our favour, we are constantly going to struggle to compete on a regular basis.

People are constantly frustrated with our Forwards being flat footed, not breaking the line or even making the advantage line, and our Halves constantly kicking into opposition players arms, but honestly, that sort of stuff should not be surprising when on any given week we are left constantly rucking the ball out of our own end on our own because we only average around 3.5 penalties a week and other sides are averaging almost twice that many.

I appreciate we cannot change things that are in the Referee's control mid game, but at a Coaching and administration level it means we're either:

(A) Doing something seriously wrong on field and have been for almost a decade now apparently, in which case the bare minimum that a decent organisation would have done is at least engage the Referees to come up and attend training and talk to the players about what they're doing wrong and why they are consistently amongst the worse in the competition at having penalties awarded to us.

or

(B) The Referees are genuinely not treating us fairly, in which case we should be honestly jumping up and down about it in the media far more than we are. God knows that's worked for other clubs.

Either way, to pretend it isn't a genuine issue or to do absolutely nothing about it is honestly a failure by the club no matter what the cause is.
Totally agree with this but you're not going back far enough. You should really check how far back this bullshit goes. It's not a decade, it's three. I want to see the Broncos bring up the PenaltyBroncos thing, challenge the accepted view. Force nrl360 to put it up on the screen. It's time to show the rugby league world the facts. One thing people don't realize is that the referees are also humans. Yep, it's true, actual human beings! That said they can be influenced like any other and they have been.

If you polled all the refs and included questions like 'which team concedes the most penalties', 'which team is awarded the most' and lot's of variations to the theme I'd guess you'd see the same uninformed errors as the average nsw nrl fan would make. Those refs read the same papers, hear the same news and have heard the PenaltyBroncos thing and subconsciously they'd believe it has a basis. We will never get a decent season until it's killed.

Totally agree with this but you're not going back far enough. You should really check how far back this bullshit goes. It's not a decade, it's three. I want to see the Broncos bring up the PenaltyBroncos thing, challenge the accepted view. Force nrl360 to put it up on the screen. It's time to show the rugby league world the facts. One thing people don't realize is that the referees are also humans. Yep, it's true, actual human beings! That said they can be influenced like any other and they have been.

If you polled all the refs and included questions like 'which team concedes the most penalties', 'which team is awarded the most' and lot's of variations to the theme I'd guess you'd see the same uninformed errors as the average nsw nrl fan would make. Those refs read the same papers, hear the same news and have heard the PenaltyBroncos thing and subconsciously they'd believe it has a basis. We will never get a decent season until it's killed.
Kenty likes a rant - someone got his email? lol

Kenty likes a rant - someone got his email? lol
I'm certain Kent would pass on it even given the chance to spiral. He is a deadset shit for brains. I'd love to see some real investigative journalism.

I'm certain Kent would pass on it even given the chance to spiral. He is a deadset shit for brains. I'd love to see some real investigative journalism.
Who is this mysterious NRL Reporter you speak of? Have they even been born yet? :P

Out of the current crop, the only one that I could see picking it up would be Brent Read, but even then, it does not fit the NSW narrative and would not be a popular position to take, so it is very unlikely to be published.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • MrMoore
  • Old Mate
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • kiwibronco
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.