Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Imagev1de8e0d442ea0d703412b0b4f67bf7ab1 kwhiiwyryk83q3rcyr2

Anthony Milford has changed his mindset to deal with NRL pressure

March 23, 2019

He may not see it, for the shift is so slight, almost imperceptible, but the change has been detected.

There is improvement. A new attitude. Milford was once so paranoid he felt like the hunted. Now he is increasingly more comfortable being the hunter.

Ever since he signed the richest contract in Brisbane’s history 22 months ago – a mega $4 million deal worth $1 million a season which catapulted him onto the NRL’s centre stage – Milford has never felt comfortable residing in the spotlight.

Shy and quiet by nature, Milford would rather visit the dentist than confront a voracious media pack. He could do without the incessant inquisitions: are you worth $1 million? Can you deliver a premiership? What’s it like wearing Darren Lockyer’s No.6 jumper? Are you and Kodi Nikorima the halves to make Brisbane great again?

So many external questions, not enough internal answers, the Polynesian kid from blue-collar Inala found solace in retreating.

But over summer, Broncos hierarchy were candid with Milford. Turning 25 in July, and now the father of a newborn child, it was time for Brisbane’s whizkid to emerge from his cocoon and embrace more responsibility at Red Hill.

“I’ve gotten better at handling the pressure now,” says Milford, who helped the Broncos to a 29-10 derby defeat of the Cowboys on Friday night.

“A couple of years ago, I would have handled things a lot differently to what I do now.

“I enjoy everything that comes with playing with the Broncos. It’s a dream club and I’ve always wanted to play for them.

“To be honest, I didn’t know the expectations on me would be this big, but that’s what comes with playing at such a successful club.”

For all his natural talent, the knock on Milford is that he doesn’t deliver consistently. He can be incredibly brilliant, then downright diabolical ... sometimes in the space of 40 minutes at Suncorp Stadium.

But after 145 NRL games, Milford accepts his apprenticeship is well and truly over. New Broncos coach Anthony Seibold, determined to plane the rough edges, has moved to educate Milford.

In pre-season, Seibold flew his playmaking spine, including Milford and Nikorima, to Sydney to work with former NSW and Test pivot Matthew Johns.

Milford has always had instinct but he needed to refine the strategic vision that made Johns and his brother Andrew the greatest halves pairing in Newcastle’s history.

After a short walk to a park on NSW’s northern beaches, Johns laid out witches hats.

Milford and Nikorima watched as Johns broke down the 100-metre zone into small segments.

Suddenly, the footy field morphed into a chess board. Johns began his mentoring. If an offload happens here, you do this. If a teammate runs there, you do that. A set-up on play three can lead to an attacking shape on play four.

The lessons have opened Milford’s eyes to the art of game management.

“I have definitely learned a lot from Matty Johns, so has Kodi,” Milford said.

“The key thing is staying ahead of the game. Matt said if a tackle happens in a certain part of the field, you have to know what’s going on with the next play ... and the next play after that.

“It was pretty cool to sit there and hear him talk.

“It might take some time for me and Kodi, but we are trying to bring what Matt taught us to our game plans.”

Even Johns admits he under-estimated Milford.

“I saw Anthony as this laidback bloke who possibly didn’t care enough, but, boy, he has knowledge and desire,” he said.

“Because of the 10-metre rule, the art of ball-playing and subtlety has gone out of the game.

“I have spoken to ‘Milf’ and Kodi about how to build a set of six. Game awareness. How to manufacture a hole for your ball runner.

“I took them to specific areas of the field and said right, if this or that happens, you can still control the set of six because you will do A, B or C.

“It’s been fantastic to watch their progress. Milford and Nikorima are learning and improving.”

Broncos legend Lockyer was the last playmaker to steer Brisbane to a premiership, their sixth, in 2006. The 355-game icon was renowned for his cool head in a crisis.

Once consumed by pressure, Milford now wants to eat it up like Lockyer.

“The boys here who played with ‘Locky’ talk about how calm he was,” Milford said.

“Whether Brisbane was up by six or down by six, it didn’t bother Locky. He was calm and focused on the process.

“That’s the big thing I’ve learned. I’m trying to put it in my game at the moment – being calm in every situation, staying in that good mindset and knowing it will pay off in the end.

“It all starts at training. I’m doing everything I can to make myself the best player I know I can be.”

Source: Courier Mail

I understand that this all PR and ‘obligations’ to the media to provide stories, but these sort of articles just prime fans and talking heads to lay into players when they don’t walk the walk.

Having said that, it’s a good thing that someone has actually spelt out what he needs to do and when, but it’s also scary that he’s gotten this far without knowing some of this stuff.

CM lip service, Milford should be judged in the same light as every other highly paid pivot in the game.

Well that's the weekly Milford under pressure article out of the way.

Good players are targeted to reduce their impact. But good players find a way. It’s good to know he’s looking.

Unfortunately Milford was just horrible on Friday night. Nikorima was miles ahead of him.

1 million a season is a lot of coin. He needs to start playing like he is worth it and not just once or twice a month. I’m starting to feel as though he is a little overrated and won’t reach the potential that a lot of people have said he has.

His kicking game isn’t great, his passing game is average for a half and his running game seems to have fallen by the way side. Definitely not the same guy who was best on ground in the 2015 GF.

He was lights out ahead of Kodi last year and one of our top 3 players. He is coming back from injury, let’s give him at least 4 games before we start saying he is rubbish.

I was encouraged on Friday night that Kodi was actually steering the team around the park. If he keeps that up, it will free up milf a lot more to run the ball & do his thing!

He was lights out ahead of Kodi last year and one of our top 3 players. He is coming back from injury, let’s give him at least 4 games before we start saying he is rubbish.

I was encouraged on Friday night that Kodi was actually steering the team around the park. If he keeps that up, it will free up milf a lot more to run the ball & do his thing!

I’m not saying he is rubbish. He is a good player but is he having as much impact on a game as say ponga, Taumalolo, Smith, ect? They are on the same money but in my opinion have far more impact in games then Milford has had of late.

I’m prepared to give him some time but with a big price tag comes big expectations and I feel as though they aren’t being met at the moment.

I’m not saying he is rubbish. He is a good player but is he having as much impact on a game as say ponga, Taumalolo, Smith, ect? They are on the same money but in my opinion have far more impact in games then Milford has had of late.

I’m prepared to give him some time but with a big price tag comes big expectations and I feel as though they aren’t being met at the moment.

Horrible and rubbish are kinda the same no?

I think the reason why he was outstanding in 2015 was because there was no pressure to do any organising, he just had a license to run and hunty was basic the sole game manager.
Since hunty left, milf has been working hard on his kicking game and has improved a lot, but to the detriment of his brilliant running game. I don't think he has the scone for game manager.. He seems like a really nervous type of character. It's too much for the bloke.. Tell him to forgot the organisational head **** and just run and chime in when needed and that would do him the world of good, take the pressure down, (john Farnham style), and allow him to be the 1 billion dollar man like he was in 2015.
Niko seems more relaxed and to me more able to handle the on field pressure with guiding the team around, but he's only early days in learning the roll.. I haven't seen much of deardon play but listening to his interview the other week he sounded level really level headed, almost like he was on tranquillisers.. and he's been an organising 7 since before he was born? Id be pairing him up with the milf.. to me a perfect combo..
I'd like milf and kodi to succeed, but it seems like a bit of a gamble, and I want a fricken premiership NOW!!

Ponga? He's been fairly ineffective this year so far also.

Milford's running game hasn't been evident because he's had to be ready to kick the last 18 months. If Kodi can continue his upwards trajectory, the pressure on Milf to be available on the 4th or 5th to kick will lessen and he will be able to run the ball again.

In 2 weeks time if he is still where he is now, then we can talk.

Ponga? He's been fairly ineffective this year so far also.

Milford's running game hasn't been evident because he's had to be ready to kick the last 18 months. If Kodi can continue his upwards trajectory, the pressure on Milf to be available on the 4th or 5th to kick will lessen and he will be able to run the ball again.

In 2 weeks time if he is still where he is now, then we can talk.

Did you watch the knights yesterday? Ponga through an unbelievable cut out pass for great try. I’ve never seen Milford throw a 30m cut out pass across the face of three players to put the winger over. Ponga has just as good of a running game if not better then Milford and his passing game looks to be developing into a much higher standard then Milford’s too.

Horrible and rubbish are kinda the same no?

I said his game was rubbish on Friday night. I didn’t say he was rubbish altogether. There is a big difference. If somebody wants to stand up and say any different they must be blind. He was rubbish and that’s the truth of it. Nikorima looked far better and more organised then Milford and he gets paid 20% of what Milford gets paid.

I stand by my comment about his salary. For 1 million dollars a year we haven’t seen any return for that amount of money. His 2015 season was very good and probably close to that price tag but since then I just don’t think we are getting value for money. He hasnt really looked dangerous running the ball in the last 12 months. He just steps into defenders and gets caught easily and the play breaks down. Nothing like his 2015 season.

Just my opinion. I hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Kodi had a few highlight reel moments, Milford did the most of the work, especially getting us out of trouble with great kicks and having a hand in almost every try.

I don’t remember any great kicks coming out of trouble? We were never coming out of trouble on Friday night as far as I was concerned. We dominated field position the entire game besides the 5min period where the cowboys had 4 or 5 sets on our line. I do remember a lot of balls on the ground and being tackled on the 4th or 5th tackle as he ran back into the defence.

I’m calling it how I see it mate. I love the bloke and hope he can’t regain that 2015 season form but value for money at the moment Nikorima is miles ahead in my mind.

Last edited:
If Niko and Milf ever fire at the same time. Look out.

I don’t remember any great kicks coming out of trouble? We were never coming out of trouble on Friday night as far as I was concerned. We dominated field position the entire game besides the 5min period where the cowboys had 4 or 5 sets on our line. I do remember a lot of balls on the ground and being tackled on the 4th or 5th tackle as he ran back into the defence.

I’m calling it how I see it mate. I love the bloke and hope he can’t regain that 2015 season form but value for money at the moment Nikorima is miles ahead in my mind.
Amazing how memory can be fickle, isn't it?

Active Now

• Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Sproj
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • Matheos
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Financeguy
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.