International rugby league

• Thread starter Lockysillegitimatechild
  • Start date
Predicting best 17's for these sort of games is tough, no doubt there'll be players withdrawing, etc. But I'll do my best. Just going to assume that Tupou & Staggs don't play for Tonga.

Tonga -

1. Starford To'a
2. Sione Katoa
3. Siosifa Talakai
4. Moses Suli
5. Will Penisini
6. Isaiya Katoa
7. Talatau Amone
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Siliva Havili
10. Siosiua Taukieaho
11. Keaon Koloamatangi
12. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Soni Luke
15. Sitili Tupouniua
16. Tevita Pangai Jr
17. Moeaki Fotuaika

New Zealand -

1. Joseph Manu
2. Ronaldo Mulitalo
3. Jordan Rapana
4. Peta Hiku
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Dylan Brown
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Brandon Smith
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Kenneath Bromwich
12. Isaiah Papali'i
13. James Fisher-Harris

14. Erin Clark
15. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
16. Isaac Liu
17. Moses Leota

Tonga has to be legit second favourite behind Australia for the World Cup.

They just need to develop some spine players. Doesn't matter how incredible your forwards and outside backs are if there's no polish on the ends of it.

Agreed but there has to be someone better than To'a for fullback, that guy would have to be in the worst fullbacks ever discussion based on his time there for the Tigers. Is Niu Tongan?

Agreed but there has to be someone better than To'a for fullback, that guy would have to be in the worst fullbacks ever discussion based on his time there for the Tigers. Is Niu Tongan?

Dunno, not in the squad / not healthy. I think he is Tongan.

There's very little to pick from, outside of To'a it's Koula from Manly, they're about the only 2 who have any sort of a history in the position.

Figured To'a will get the nod next week because he spent about a month at fullback for the Tigers recently and was actually pretty good there.

Dunno, not in the squad / not healthy. I think he is Tongan.

There's very little to pick from, outside of To'a it's Koula from Manly, they're about the only 2 who have any sort of a history in the position.

Figured To'a will get the nod next week because he spent about a month at fullback for the Tigers recently and was actually pretty good there.

I thought the opposite, I thought he was absolutely atrocious there.

Look Isaiya Katoa gto selected for Tonga. Why bother if they don't have the balls to play him. He will be 7 for Tonga putting up Broncos Wooden Spoon as collateral on this one.

Edit: Kotoni Staggs and Tupou just pledged to NSW. We are keeping that wooden spoon boys.

Look Isaiya Katoa gto selected for Tonga. Why bother if they don't have the balls to play him. He will be 7 for Tonga putting up Broncos Wooden Spoon as collateral on this one.

Edit: Kotoni Staggs and Tupou just pledged to NSW. We are keeping that wooden spoon boys.

I don't know ... depends if Freddy panicks and picks Latrell (dropping Staggs), despite what JD says

Predicting best 17's for these sort of games is tough, no doubt there'll be players withdrawing, etc. But I'll do my best. Just going to assume that Tupou & Staggs don't play for Tonga.

Tonga -

1. Starford To'a
2. Sione Katoa
3. Siosifa Talakai
4. Moses Suli
5. Will Penisini
6. Isaiya Katoa
7. Talatau Amone
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Siliva Havili
10. Siosiua Taukieaho
11. Keaon Koloamatangi
12. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Soni Luke
15. Sitili Tupouniua
16. Tevita Pangai Jr
17. Moeaki Fotuaika

New Zealand -

1. Joseph Manu
2. Ronaldo Mulitalo
3. Jordan Rapana
4. Peta Hiku
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Dylan Brown
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Brandon Smith
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Kenneath Bromwich
12. Isaiah Papali'i
13. James Fisher-Harris

14. Erin Clark
15. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
16. Isaac Liu
17. Moses Leota
wow, really impressed with both teams.

Tongan forward pack and bench has got to be close to best in world.
NZ spine has got to be close to best in world.

Not sure if I remember a better NZ spine. but not enough Lance Hohaia ;) He seemed to be there for 20 years but never did much in national colours.

wow, just googled him, he's still only 39 years old!

I thought the opposite, I thought he was absolutely atrocious there.

Not sure what games you were watching haha, he absolutely played better than Laurie in his limited appearances at the back this year.

Daine Laurie in 8 games at Fullback - 0 tries, 3 linebreaks, 19 tackle busts, 101 metres per game
Starford To'a in 4 games at Fullback - 1 try, 2 linebreaks, 21 tackle busts, 147 metres per game

Not sure what games you were watching haha, he absolutely played better than Laurie in his limited appearances at the back this year.

Daine Laurie in 8 games at Fullback - 0 tries, 3 linebreaks, 19 tackle busts, 101 metres per game
Starford To'a in 4 games at Fullback - 1 try, 2 linebreaks, 21 tackle busts, 147 metres per game
I also thought toa was pretty average, he had very limited ball playing skills and and he bombed a few tries. I wasn't impressed

Ahh yes the ol’ stats tell the complete story argument.

Ahh yes the ol’ stats tell the complete story argument.

Of course not, I watch every game. To'a has absolutely performed better than Laurie this season at Fullback no matter which way you want to slice it haha.

Let's not forget that the bar isn't very high with that statement, Laurie has been arguably the worst fulltime Fullback in the NRL this season. It's a two horse race between him and Dufty, and I think Laurie may have genuinely been worse.

Keep in mind because ithere is no Super League players Tonga can't have Lolohea in the halves who is their best by miles for that role.

I think in the World cup Samoa will be even better it will just depend on what forwards commit because they will have the Penrith Contingent who have already said they wil play for them in the WC(Luai, To'o and Crighton).

And don't forget Fiji, they beat NZ to make the Semi final in the last world cup.

Of course not, I watch every game. To'a has absolutely performed better than Laurie this season at Fullback no matter which way you want to slice it haha.

Let's not forget that the bar isn't very high with that statement, Laurie has been arguably the worst fulltime Fullback in the NRL this season. It's a two horse race between him and Dufty, and I think Laurie may have genuinely been worse.

He may well have been better than Laurie but as you said, the bar is crazily low there. This is much different to being 'pretty good there'. In my opinion he was really poor, especially defensively and that is really where you need your fullback to shine, everything can spring from that. No point being a decent attacking fullback (and even this I disagree with) but being atrocious defensively - see Tesi Niu for example.

How is lolohea going in the Super league?

Keep in mind because ithere is no Super League players Tonga can't have Lolohea in the halves who is their best by miles for that role.

I think in the World cup Samoa will be even better it will just depend on what forwards commit because they will have the Penrith Contingent who have already said they wil play for them in the WC(Luai, To'o and Crighton).

And don't forget Fiji, they beat NZ to make the Semi final in the last world cup.
You'd imagine Milf will join the Samoa squad as well... Luai at 7 and Milf at 6... could do worse

You'd imagine Milf will join the Samoa squad as well... Luai at 7 and Milf at 6... could do worse
Possibly, Josh Schuster is also able to play for Samoa as well though if he wants to play for them he would probably be ahead of him.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.