International rugby league

• Thread starter Lockysillegitimatechild
  • Start date
To'o said on radio this morning he'll be representing Samoa at the world cup even if he's picked for Australia.

Great move. I hope more players follow his lead so we get a better world cup.

To'o said on radio this morning he'll be representing Samoa at the world cup even if he's picked for Australia.

Hopefully Luai does as well... Munster will be in front of him as preferred 6 in the Aus setup anyway

Would Queensland even have a team if all the other nations received first preference?

1. Kalyn Ponga - New Zealand
2. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Dane Gagai - New Zealand
4. Valentine Holmes - Cook Islands
5. Murray Taulagi - New Zealand

6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Lindsay Collins
9. Ben Hunt
10. Josh Papalii - Samoa
11. Kurt Capewell
12. Felise Kaufusi - Tonga
13. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui - Samoa

14. Harry Grant
15. Jai Arrow
16. Patrick Carrigan
17. Jeremiah Nanai - Samoa

18. Tom Dearden
19. Thomas Flegler
20. Beau Fermor
21. Corey Oates
22. Reece Walsh - New Zealand
23. Xavier Coates - PNG
24. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow - Samoa

25. Reuben Cotter

Altered Queensland Team
1. AJ Brimson
2. Corey Oates
3. Tom Opacic
4. Selwyn Cobbo
5. Kyle Feldt
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Lindsay Collins
9. Ben Hunt
10. Christian Welch
11. Kurt Capewell
12. Beau Fermor
13. Reuben Cotter

14. Harry Grant
15. Patrick Carrigan
16. Jai Arrow
17. Tom Gilbert

Not bad.

Would that be grounds for NSW to drop To’o? Not that they will but surely in theory that should rule him out given origin is supposed to be a trial for Australia.

I’m all for him doing it by the way but this is essentially the same situation as JT2 right and he’s ineligible for origin

Would that be grounds for NSW to drop To’o? Not that they will but surely in theory that should rule him out given origin is supposed to be a trial for Australia.

I’m all for him doing it by the way but this is essentially the same situation as JT2 right and he’s ineligible for origin
No Lolo wasn't allowed because he had already played for NZ i.e. a Tier 1 nation, before he started playing for Tonga

International Tiers is fucking stupid.. making Tonga a Tier 1 nation would set them back years. They had no spine in the last game.. what would they look like if you told the players they wouldn't be able to get the extra pay check and NSWRL fuckfest prestige of origin as well.

Origin eligibility should be independent to allow players to pick whoever they want as their international team, instead of ARL being able to bribe players to play for Australia. Australia should have enough players to make 3 teams that can beat most nations, we don't need more just so we can have a 3 game exhibition series in the middle of the year that ***** up the whole NRL competition.

100% with gus on this.

I agree too. I see Gal's point, and Gus' answer is correct. If it opens it up to one type of international, then it must be open to all. As long as they then qualify for a particular state based on that weird "first club" rule or whatever, fine. International is a different level to state, which is a different level to club. I know if Victoria joined, it would expand the state level at the sacrifice of tradition, but they really should sit down and discuss the potential for this happening, especially if they're focusing on expanding to a truly national league.

NRL really needs to get their shit together, though. They have changed the rules every year in reactionary ways and it's such a silly look for a major sporting body. They definitely pay their head guys enough that they could all sit down and address these points in their expansion plans.

Furthermore, they should be able to go through the pros and cons of rule changes. If I can point to potential problems with the 6-again rule, surely a professional ref's boss with 6 figure salary should be able to as well. Same with the 7 tackle set.

They messed up with the NZ player situation in the first place. They went all parochial and absolutely shot themselves in the foot there. Bunch of rich old Sydney boys trying to keep the sport and tradition "pure" while simultaneously trying to expand the game but maintain dominance. It's absolute double-think idiocy that so many bogans bought, because "OrIGiN iS sAcReD!" (since 1982, shhhhhh)

They messed up with the NZ player situation in the first place. They went all parochial and absolutely shot themselves in the foot there. Bunch of rich old Sydney boys trying to keep the sport and tradition "pure" while simultaneously trying to expand the game but maintain dominance. It's absolute double-think idiocy that so many bogans bought, because "OrIGiN iS sAcReD!" (since 1982, shhhhhh)

I am usually critical of the NRL and how they handle pretty much everything but I do get the issues here. You either make it a state against state and mate against mate trial for the Australian team essentially OR you make it a free for all that basically becomes an NRL version of the NBL All Stars and lose the tradition / parochialism of the whole concept.

I am ok with the All Stars approach but you either have to go all in or all out. The current way it works where if you have played for NZ or England pretty much than too bad is just silly and if we really want to get stupid about it, somewhat racist. NZ and England you guys are good enough, other countries, nah you suck and we pity you.

I am usually critical of the NRL and how they handle pretty much everything but I do get the issues here. You either make it a state against state and mate against mate trial for the Australian team essentially OR you make it a free for all that basically becomes an NRL version of the NBL All Stars and lose the tradition / parochialism of the whole concept.

I am ok with the All Stars approach but you either have to go all in or all out. The current way it works where if you have played for NZ or England pretty much than too bad is just silly and if we really want to get stupid about it, somewhat racist. NZ and England you guys are good enough, other countries, nah you suck and we pity you.
There's nothing wrong with dual eligibility and it doesn't cheapen the concept at all.

If you meet all the criteria for NSW/QLD but don't want to play for Australia, that should be perfectly fine, it'll improve Origin as a product, it'll improve the International game, and no one loses, except the Kangaroos, which is why it hasn't happened.

There's nothing wrong with dual eligibility and it doesn't cheapen the concept at all.

If you meet all the criteria for NSW/QLD but don't want to play for Australia, that should be perfectly fine, it'll improve Origin as a product, it'll improve the International game, and no one loses, except the Kangaroos, which is why it hasn't happened.

Please don't take my post as disagreeing, I'm not. I want international league to be better overall but with all things NRL, common sense is not a strength. If they allow the JT2s and Forans, etc of this world to play origin (which I am not against), some talking head will come out and say why not the Burgii and Farnworths of this world too? Open it up to everyone, then the Kikaus suddenly qualify despite not qualifying at all at present and then the debate rages about who these blokes should be eligible for.

I differ here. and IMO the NRL should have stepped in.

because IIRC, the rule that was brought in was that Origin players could represent a tier 2 nation (and play SOO) IF they aren't selected for Australia. although Vlandy's could have changed this rule 14 times by now.

so technically To'o is not able to represent Samoa, if he get's selected by the Aussies.

don't get me wrong I like that duel eligible players (from tier two nations) are not locked into playing for Australia or no-one in international rugby league ... but SOO is, at least in theory, a selection trial for the Australian team.

I differ here. and IMO the NRL should have stepped in.

because IIRC, the rule that was brought in was that Origin players could represent a tier 2 nation (and play SOO) IF they aren't selected for Australia. although Vlandy's could have changed this rule 14 times by now.

so technically To'o is not able to represent Samoa, if he get's selected by the Aussies.

don't get me wrong I like that duel eligible players (from tier two nations) are not locked into playing for Australia or no-one in international rugby league ... but SOO is, at least in theory, a selection trial for the Australian team.
The NRL should step in to change that, why should state or Origin be thought of as a selection for the kangaroos?

State of origin is the pinnicle of Rugby league.

That means it's beyond international footy including the world cup.

The international game desperately needs help and Australia has all the depth of players, Kangaroos could make atleast 3 teams that could at the very least be favourites for the WC and we shouldn't forget that.

It's not even unheard of having countries supplying the talent for other countries in other sports, in Soccer soo many of the best African players are actually from France, if that never happened it would massively drop the quality in Africa.

Victor Radley has declared he will play for England.

wow, what a big call. it means he’s no longer eligible for origin and Aus as England is tier 1. Not a massive fan of his but good on him. You can’t question his motivation if you realise he’s made the commitment at that expense.

Love it. Moar!! I'm sick of Australia getting all the players because of money.

I might even support the Kangaroos one day when they're not half mercenaries just doing it for the origin $s.

Love it. Moar!! I'm sick of Australia getting all the players because of money.

I might even support the Kangaroos one day when they're not half mercenaries just doing it for the origin $s.

Isn’t that really what Radley is doing though? He says it’s cause of his dad but is it or does he just feel he is too far down the pecking order to ever play for Aus? Let’s be honest, he’s behind at least Carrigan, Yeo, Jurbo, Tino and Cotter.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.