Intrust Super Cup 2015

Maybe a bit late to be asking this but why is Sir Mitch-A-Lot turning out for the Magpies? I thought when we signed him from the Storm it was agreed he could continue to play at Easts? Or was that only for last year?

It was suggested and hoped for, but no never happened.

Ippy and Wynnum struggling in their respective games. Peter Gubb was pretty fast in his chase just now.

They always had a game in control, even at 20-6 down.

No struggle just had to wait it out and then come back- they won 28-26.

Carlin Anderson length of the field try was awesome, Walker's try was great and then he knocked himself out. Jets scored three tries from the other side of half way to win.

I took my six year old son to the footy on the weekend.
He has been to the SCG, Kogarah and Cbus Super Stadium in the past but I'm not sure he ever had as much fun as we did on Saturday.
In the course of two and a half hours we bought two cans of soft drink, a sausage roll and a packet of Twisties which all told put us back the grand sum of $10.
After our first excursion to the canteen we passed by the merchandise table where Harrison was met with a warm welcome by a club official and given a poster and two stickers to take home.
Before the two first grade teams ran out we had a kick of the footy on the field and as I took notes during the first half Harry ran up and down the sideline trying to expel the energy the mere sniff of soft drink can give a kid his age.
At half-time we went for a kick amongst the other kids on the grass behind the posts and at full-time we went back onto the field and met with one of the players.
We had a great afternoon and it in many ways replicated my earliest memories of going to the footy, sitting on the hills at Leichhardt Oval, Parramatta Stadium and the Newcastle International Sports Ground.
But Harrison and I weren't at an NRL game on the weekend.
This was an Intrust Super Cup clash between Burleigh and Sunshine Coast at Pizzey Park and the match-day experience left a lasting impression on Harry and made me one proud dad.
By little choice of his own he is a Rabbitohs fan largely by name but he is now also a Burleigh Bears fan. There is a 'Go the Bears' sticker proudly plastered on his bedhead and the 2015 team poster has taken pride of place on his bedroom door, some interior decorating not met with widespread approval from other members of the family.
Next week at school he wants to take his poster for 'Show and Tell' and tell his friends all about the Burleigh Bears.
He now knows that Jason Chan – a family friend – plays in No.12 and that too much bad food really does give you a pain in the belly.
When we got home after the game we excitedly rang Harry's uncle Damien to tell him that we had seen his friend Jason play and that even though he didn't score a try his team had won 28 points to 12, all information Harry relayed without any prompting from his dad.
I know the NRL can't have kids streaming onto the field at full-time in the modern age but perhaps it is time to view our state leagues in a different light.
They are not merely the proving ground for players with aspirations to play at the highest level but also the nurseries of our next generation of footy fans.
It's a great place for youngsters to go to a game and not even have to watch it; they can merely revel in the experience of being at the footy and still make it home in time for dinner – even if your no-good dad has ruined your appetite.
One of my great – and admittedly largely silent – crusades is to enhance the NRL game-day experience for young fans who refuse to sit in one spot for two hours unless there is an iPad in their hands.
Why can't each team at every NRL game set up a trestle table, sit a club legend and a current injured player there for an hour and invite kids to come and collect a poster, a sticker and an autograph from who will soon become their new favourite player?
With the infrastructure at modern stadia, my simplistic solution will likely remain a pipe dream so in the meantime I'll continue to take Harrison to watch the Bears.
They're at home again this Saturday against the champions from 2014, the Northern Pride, although this week we might have to ditch the second-half Twisties.
We don't want to have to front the Footy Excursion Committee for a second-straight week when we get home.
Video courtesy of qrl.com.au
For Intrust Super Cup fixtures, results and latest news, visit qrl.com.au

State Cup perfect for budding NRL fans - NRL.com

Great write up.

Pity Channel 9 (and the NRL complicitly) insist on every Broncos game being played at 730PM on a Friday night when most young kids are on the way to bed.

I would take my 2 year old son every week if it was on a Sunday afternoon. He loved every minute of our excursion last year for the Manly home game.

All the marketing directors in the world can't replicate or create the "brand loyalty" imprinted on a young person after an afternoon at the footy with their Dad. There's your fanbase pipeline NRL. Right there in front of you. Take it.

I know a lot of friends' kids that rave about the Brisbane Roar on a Sunday afternoon...

Great write up.

Pity Channel 9 (and the NRL complicitly) insist on every Broncos game being played at 730PM on a Friday night when most young kids are on the way to bed.

I would take my 2 year old son every week if it was on a Sunday afternoon. He loved every minute of our excursion last year for the Manly home game.

All the marketing directors in the world can't replicate or create the "brand loyalty" imprinted on a young person after an afternoon at the footy with their Dad. There's your fanbase pipeline NRL. Right there in front of you. Take it.

I know a lot of friends' kids that rave about the Brisbane Roar on a Sunday afternoon...

Great write up 1910 and I agree Subsbligh how frustrating it is that we barely ever get Sunday afternoon games. My mate and I took our oldest kids (both 3 at the time) to the sunday arvo game last year and it was the best. They loved watching buck run around and "watching the man throw the ball to the other man and he catch it" as my son kept saying and both kids keep talking about it a year later, a real shame we can't get more arvo games

Some fairly big scores this weekend.
I only caught the second half of the Wynnum vs Souths Logan game. Didnt think I was going to make at all but glad I did as Wynnum have found a bit more form.

Garbutt (Souths) managed a couple of offloads but did not appear to make any barn storming runs.
Gonna catch the game on their livestream recording to see what i missed.

Last edited:
Dissapointing game on tv. 36nil so far.Souths arent even in the game.

Jason Hetherington has quit as CQ coach for family reasons.

Queensland Residents team picked on Sunday night.

Parcell- 295 tackles and 7 misses from 7 games. 554m from 64 runs.

He has to be the 9 for Queensland.

Yet another Nth Qld team vs Souths-Logan. Surely there are better games they can televise.

Souths werent complelltely out of this one but they struggle to play simple football let alone exciting football.

Let's just have a look at the Blackhawks.

9 games.
8 wins
388 points- 43 per game
74 tries- 8 per game.
138 points against- 15 per game.
25 tries against- 2 per game.

Tonight v Bears won 78-6.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Thelmus
  • MasterWright
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Harry Sack
  • broncsgoat
  • lakers133334
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.