Is Darren Lockyer the greatest player of all time?

Big Pete said:
[quote="Anonymous person":3limz89a][quote="Big Pete":3limz89a]It took Lockyer until 2006 to be able to have any control on the game.
the only people that could say that with a straight face are the people that have only ever seen him play at 5/8th. seriously.[/quote:3limz89a]

Not seriously.

He could decide games at fullback, but couldn't control them until 2006.[/quote:3limz89a]
You mustve been watching different games to everyone else then.

Lockyer completely ran both the Broncos and Queensland State of Origin teams from fullback. Have you got any of the origins from 2001-2005 on DVD? If so, I suggest you go watch them again. watch the guy with the number 1 on his back for QLD.

No doubt he could GUIDE a team in the sense he could set up a match scoring play, but he couldn't CONTROL a game, not like Lewis could.

In a sense he used to play similarly to how Benji plays today.

Also none of those examples hold up.

The best example of the lot is Origin 1 2001 and really that's more Lockyer tearing a team a new arsehole ala Hodgson Origin 1 2002 but you'd hardly call it a controlling performance.

Big Pete said:
No doubt he could GUIDE a team, but he couldn't CONTROL a game, not like Lewis could.

In a sense he was a lot like Marshall is today before he changed his style in 2006.

I get what you're saying BP but I have to disagree with it.

Best example's of Lockyer's ability to control a game I believe are games 1 and 3 in the 2001 Origin series, and the third game of the 2003 series. He called the shots, he saw when to make the big plays and he got involved in almost all of the attacking raids. If the boys were tired he'd kick for touch, if they were on a roll he'd put up the spiral bomb to really pile on the pressure. He did this week in week out for the Broncos too.

Not saying he did this as well as Lewis but bloody hell he wouldn't be far behind!!

If only the Game Analyser went back to 2001, we could actually substantiate our posts.

All I can say is I watch those Origin games on FoxSports recently and while Lockyer tore up on three occasions I didn't see the variety in his approach until 2006 - he really played to the team's strengths that season.

Agree to disagree.

And agree that Lockyer is an amazing player and one of the best of all time. icon_thumbs_u

Unread

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Canga
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.