Is Lachlan Maranta Really That Bad?

If Kurt Gidley can be an Allstar, why can't Lachlan Maranta?

The way people make Allstars out to be is absolutely crazy when you put it into perspective, especially when the majority of those criticising his selection couldn't give a toss about the actual game prior to his inclusion. It's an exhibition game at best and even State of Origin has had it's fair share of puzzling selections over the years and that carries far more credibility then Allstars will ever have even without him.

The way people make Allstars out to be is absolutely crazy when you put it into perspective, especially when the majority of those criticising his selection couldn't give a toss about the actual game prior to his inclusion. It's an exhibition game at best and even State of Origin has had it's fair share of puzzling selections over the years and that carries far more credibility then Allstars will ever have even without him.

I just find it funny because I think Bennett is taking the piss. Nothing against Maranta at all from me, I say good on him.

Well he always held down a spot in first grade, captained his club and Bennett loved him I guess.

So did Ben Creagh. Kurt Gidley is the epitome of average. Wouldn't even have played first grade if his brother wasn't a good footy player.

Gidley was a good player.

It wasn't his fault NSW made him captain, or Bennett signed him on a four year deal.

I'm a big fan of Maranta but when I read about this I thought it was a gee-up. He didn't finish the year in first grade - is he really in the All-Stars team? Also on the bench? It doesn't make much sense to me.

That being said, I like Maranta - he's worked tirelessly for the team and has been involved in some of the best highlights of the club in recent years. I wish him all the best. In a way I think it sums him up best - yes there are better, more talented players to pick but he seems to come up trumps. Good luck to him.

I think Maranta was coming along nicely just before he got dropped. He had a great game and was dropped the next week, which didn't make sense when Reed regularly stayed in the team. Maranta was probably the best player on the field in a couple of games, which speaks volumes for how far he has come.

cant help but think this is benny's way of helping maranta out just a bit - trying to give him some visibility and raise his stock to interested parties. good luck to him anyways i reckon

cant help but think this is benny's way of helping maranta out just a bit - trying to give him some visibility and raise his stock to interested parties. good luck to him anyways i reckon

This is exactly what I thought or Bennett felt bad for dropping him at the backend of the season and Grand Final...as silly as it sounds.

Gidley was a good player.

It wasn't his fault NSW made him captain, or Bennett signed him on a four year deal.

Good at a club level by Newcastle Knights standards but got picked too much at rep level IMO. I guess its not Maranta's fault for being picked for the All stars but you wouldn't think it by the hysteria.

It wasn't a great idea to sign him to such a long contract that I agree with, but the Knights have hardly been a huge draw card either for a while now.

Last edited:
Maranta will be in our run on side round 1, which is fine.

not the worst thing that could happen i guess LOL, but now ive just seen the couriermail headline in the other thread saying copely's been told to pack his bags i guess not so difficult to believe.

in wayne we trust tho right ha

I think Bennett's view of having Maranta in the All Stars, is to give him confidence. Being in such elite company can give a player like Maranta the self belief to be a better player. The knowledge he can pick up just from being around players like Smith, Widdop, Burgess, Graham, RTS, Morris etc will be invaluable to his progression.

If he can become more confident, he'll trust his instincts and we'll see an even better player. We already know he's probably the best player in the competition when it comes to defusing a bomb. A little work on his running game and overall attack and he'll be even better than he was this year .

Last edited:
Or it could have just been for shits and giggles..

How many people actually take it seriously? I know the Indigenous team and fans would, but what about everyone else?

Bennett had to pick someone from us and didn't want ti risk our best players in a nothing match ... Smart

GCBRONCO said:
Good at a club level by Newcastle Knights standards but got picked too much at rep level IMO. I guess its not Maranta's fault for being picked for the All stars but you wouldn't think it by the hysteria.

By anybody's standards.

No one is blaming Maranta, just Bennett for taking the piss when they're trying to breathe new life into the All-Stars game.

but the Knights have hardly been a huge draw card either for a while now.

Bennett and Tinkler's money swayed a bunch of players to join.

I can see the rationale behind re-signing Gidley on a two year deal, but four? It was decisions like that which saw them fall into the heap they're in now.

By anybody's standards.

No one is blaming Maranta, just Bennett for taking the **** when they're trying to breathe new life into the All-Stars game.

I can see the rationale behind re-signing Gidley on a two year deal, but four? It was decisions like that which saw them fall into the heap they're in now.

The All-stars game is little more then an exhibition game much the same as City vs Country has become players like Maranta aren't questionable selections imo at that level. You can try to breathe life into the concept as much as you like, but the question you have to ask is how many of those critics even cared about the concept prior to his selection? I couldn't count the amount of times I have heard random fans across every club have said it's a nothing game.

And how many of those were the cream of the crop? I agree with you on the length though with Gidley's contract, poor decision.

Last edited:
The All-stars game is little more then an exhibition game much the same as City vs Country has become players like Maranta aren't questionable selections imo at that level. You can try to breathe life into the concept as much as you like, but the question you have to ask is how many of those critics even cared about the concept prior to his selection? I couldn't count the amount of times I have heard random fans across every club have said it's a nothing game.

Every fixture starts off as an exhibition. Origin itself was written off as one as critics believe players would take it easy on their club team mates. It wasn't until the first game when Queensland started taking it seriously that people took notice and eventually both states were able to make it into the biggest sporting event on the Australian calender.

I doubt the Indigenous All-Stars game will ever get that big, but coaches selecting fringe first graders does more harm than good.

And how many of those were the cream of the crop?

Darius Boyd, Kade Snowden, Beau Scott & Jeremy Smith were playing representative football when they signed.

Then there were the likes of Gagai, Leilua and McKinnon who were all break-out stars.

Not to mention all the juniors coming through who joined Newcastle from other clubs to play under Bennett.

Attracting players has never been much of an issue for Bennett. He didn't have to make do, he chose to as he was trying to build a culture (which is why he signed so many ex-Knights players).

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Aldo
  • Jazza
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • lynx000
  • Lazza
  • Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.