NEWS Isaako eyes big switch

I thought I posted them up when I compared his prior work in numbers to Darbs?

23 Games
9 Tries
12 Runs Avg (130m avg)
59m Kick Return Avg
38m Post Contact Avg
12 Linebreaks
6 Line Break Assists
5 Try Assists
108 Tackle Breaks
3.59 Avg Play the Ball speed
16 Offloads
31 Receipts Avg
18 Passes Avg
15 Kicks total
29 Errors
9 Penalties

The errors stats worry me. If he's as bad under the high ball at fullback as he is on the wing then you may as well look elsewhere. There was a lot to criticise Darbs for but he was still pretty good at fielding kicks.

It won't let me press quote, but in the week before his first NRL game I had massive reservations about his form consistency. It was a pretty good indicator of his NRL form too.

Earlier in the year he was bringing the ball back with real venom and involvement against Tweed he was out of this world. There was a period from round four to ten he was sensational. Statistically to put it in context he has made 2133m this year from his 16 games that's 133m on average- remember he gained 31m on Sunday a mere 102m below average.

1019m of that was scored during the period I spoke about round 4-10. That's pretty close to half his work in six games. Isaako regained some real form again the last three weeks before this week in a big effort again with three really good games.

Which brings me to my earlier point- On Sunday he looked flat and hit a wall physically.

What has remained consistent and a strength with his running is his ability to break tackles, he does that through out the year and even on Sunday he broke tackles he just didn't react and do anything- again looked flat. For the record he has 82 tackle breaks this year at five a game. Even within that consistency 44 of them again in that period earlier in the year.

His form was much much greater earlier as I said, but having said that maybe a NRL call up will be the boost he needs.

Good on him for having a positive attitude and showing a real desire to improve and become an important part of this team. Sure, I have my doubts that it'll work out, but he seems a real decent kid and I hope he does have success. It can only be a good thing for us if he does.

So based on his old ISC numbers, he's probably at worst still going to put up better numbers than Boyd and around the same numbers as Milford, but Milford going back to 5/8 would significantly strengthen that role too, so overall it would be a net gain most likely.

Bird is the wild card in all this, but honestly, aside from a bit of gut feel, the hard evidence that suggests he'd be a great Fullback is fairly light on.

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Boyd

When you consider that this lineup gets Darius onto the Wing where he can probably be most effective (read - less of a liability) and it puts Bird into a position we already have firm evidence he's capable of performing strongly in, I actually think it stacks up fairly well.

Milford back at 5/8 and assuming we've gone to market for a proper, experienced Halfback on our books and you know what, our Forward pack is so strong that at full strength that we just might be competitive again.

Last edited:
I feel for jaymane, he definitely experienced second year syndrome and had some personal issues which understandably would have taken some of his focus off preparation.

Yes, many of his defensive reads were poor, but there were other defensive mistakes on the inside of him which resulted in him getting the blame (i like turpin as a hooker but as a half, his defensive reads were terrible. He constantly came up and in, leaving the centre and winger trying to manage an overlap). He also had to deal with changing centre partnerships throughout the year which would have affected communication and familiarity with the centre's traits.

However, he does seem to be a hard trainer and wanting to improve his game. He has pretty good acceleration, footwork and has shown he can be an effective broken field runner. I watched a couple games where he played fullback for the broncos and his positioning at fullback was much better than milford. In terms of catching bombs, i think he may be a little to aggressive at the ball and doesnt make sure he is as balanced as he should, but this can be learned.

He does not have the passing skills of boyd or milf but that just means we dont try to use him like boyd or milf (i.e. slater and inglis were both great fullbacks but played very differently in a way that optimised their attributes).

It would also be good to have his boot in field incase he we needed another option to kick us out of trouble (i have noticed that he at times will do a penalty kick for touch for us).

My preference would be for bird at one, but short of having someone else come in, i wouldnt mind if isaako was given the opportunity.

* I have not seen arthurs play much so he could potentially be a better option.

Brisbane’s Jamayne Isaako wants
to win the Broncos fullback spot
in season 2020 over
Darius Boyd and Anthony Milford

Fatima Kdouh,
The Daily Telegraph
October 17, 2019 5:57pm

Jamayne Isaako is being groomed as Brisbane’s long term fullback option but the future has arrived according to the winger. Broncos coach Anthony Seibold is expected to make wholesale changes not only to his top 30 roster but his best 17 over the upcoming pre-season. One of those moves will be in the no. 1 jumper and Isaako, 23, is determined to win the position over veteran custodian Darius Boyd and Anthony Milford.

“It’s going to be a pretty big year in terms of positional changes within the team and we know the coach will be making a few changes when the season starts,” Isaako said. “I’m not too sure at the moment [where I will play], I want to get through the Nines and then the Test matches and then worry about club footy once all that is done.

Isaako wants to play fullback next year. AAP Image/Darren England.

Isaako wants to play fullback next year. AAP Image/Darren England.

“Whether I play on the wing or at the back next year, that’s a conversation I need to have with the coach.” Fullback is Isaako’s preferred position - he was named Queensland Cup Fullback of the Year in 2017 during his time at the Souths-Logan Magpies. Since making his NRL debut at the back in 2017 — his one and only game that season — the Aranui Eagles junior has only played three other games at fullback.

“I debuted at fullback for the Broncs, it’s not a position that I am unfamiliar with and I played all my Queensland Cup football at fullback so hopefully I can crack that spot there next year for the Broncos,” Isaako said. “It’s definitely my preferred position, I never played on the wing until my opening season last year so I’ll be looking to get back there next year for sure.”

Isaako has played most of his NRL career on the wing. AAP Image/Darren England.

Isaako has played most of his NRL career on the wing. AAP Image/Darren England.

A standout performance from Isaako during the World Cup Nines for New Zealand will be his first chance to press his case to Seibold. The previous stranglehold skipper Boyd had on the position forced the pointscoring machine out onto the wing in 2018 and 2019. Despite being in a new position, Isaako finished season 2018 as the game’s top point scorer and was awarded the Dally M Rookie of the Year award.

A slow start to this year’s campaign for the Broncos finally forced Seibold to switch Boyd from fullback into the halves in round 15 with Anthony Milford replacing the skipper in the back field. But Seibold’s impending pre-season positional shake-up could see the Broncos field a relatively new look back five combination — especially if Isaako is handed custodian duties.

It was an up and down campaign for Isaako in 2019. Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images.

It was an up and down campaign for Isaako in 2019. Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images.

It’s a move that could squeeze Boyd out onto the wing or even out of the best 17 players. It also opens up an opportunity for the likes of Xavier Coates, Gehamat Shibasaki and Izaia Perese to press their claims for regular starting spots. Winger Corey Oates is a free agent in less than two-weeks as his protracted contract negotiations continue with the club.

But utility Jack Bird is now likely to see out the final year of his deal at Red Hill and should hold down a centre spot if can remain healthy in 2020. The marquee signing has only played 17 games in two seasons. Melbourne halfback Brodie Croft had a meeting with Seibold in September about a touted move north to Brisbane. His signing will only add another piece to Seibold’s roster puzzle during the pre-season.

They could literally have copy pasted this article from last year.

They could literally have copy pasted this article from last year.

Why Jamayne Isaako wants to replace Anthony Milford as Brisbane’s fullback

PETER BADEL,
RUGBY LEAGUE, The Courier-Mail
September 5, 2019 5:23pm

Broncos man-of-the-moment Jamayne Isaako has outlined his plan to play fullback as Anthony Milford faces a challenge from the enemy within for the decorated Brisbane No.1 jumper.

On the eve of Brisbane’s final-round clash with the Bulldogs Saturday night at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium, “The Iceman” Isaako has big-picture plans that involve him wearing the fullback jumper made famous by Darren Lockyer. Isaako was Brisbane’s golden-point hero against the Eels last week, driving home a field goal to all but seal a finals berth in a sign the backline dynamo has recaptured his confidence and zip on Brisbane’s right wing.

But ultimately Isaako has dreams to be Brisbane’s fullback matchwinner with the Broncos having spent the past three years grooming him to be Darius Boyd’s successor before coach Anthony Seibold’s big switch.

Long-term, Isaako wants to play fullback. AAP Image/Darren England.

Seibold’s shock decision two months ago to move Milford to fullback and shift skipper Boyd to five-eighth has thrown a spanner in the works for Isaako. The Kiwi Test flyer is a team player who has great respect for Milford’s talent and Seibold’s tactical gamble, but he is refusing to give up hope of becoming Brisbane’s pre-eminent custodian. Asked if he still harbours a desire to shift to fullback, Isaako said: “Yes absolutely. “I still have a goal to try and play fullback.

“At the moment Seibs has ‘Milf’ at the back and he is doing the job for us and I have to respect that. “All I can do is try and perform on the wing and put my best foot forward for the team wherever they want to play me.” One of Queensland’s greatest fullbacks, former Origin and Test custodian Gary Belcher, said it would be a mistake to move Milford, declaring he must finish his NRL career in the Broncos’ No.1 jumper.

Isaako wants to play fullback. Photo by Jono Searle/Getty Images.

Belcher believes Isaako has the skill-set to succeed in the backfield, but is adamant Milford has found a home out of the frontline. “I think Jamayne will struggle to play fullback for the Broncos,” said 16-game Origin legend Belcher. “Isaako can be a very good fullback but he has a bit of work to do to be the finished product.

“I just can’t see Isaako playing too many games at fullback unless Milford gets injured.
“I am loving the way ‘Milf’ is playing in the No.1 jumper. He is back in the groove there. “His role is not that of a conventional fullback but it suits him beautifully the way they have got him playing.

“I know Darius hasn’t gone long left in his career but I wouldn’t move Milford back into the halves. “Milf has shown he is a much better player for the club as a fullback and I hope he finishes his career there.” Isaako struggled early in the season after being rocked by his father’s cancer diagnosis, but after a mid-season trip to visit his family in New Zealand, he has surged back into form.

“I’m just a lot less stressed about family matters,” he said. “Just being able to go back home earlier in the year and speaking to the coaching staff about spending time with my father gave me a lot more stress relief. “I came back to the Broncos with a clearer mind of my role here at training and my role in the team. That has definitely helped me.”

Last edited:

Why Jamayne Isaako wants to replace Anthony Milford as Brisbane’s fullback

PETER BADEL,
RUGBY LEAGUE, The Courier-Mail
September 5, 2019 5:23pm

Broncos man-of-the-moment Jamayne Isaako has outlined his plan to play fullback as Anthony Milford faces a challenge from the enemy within for the decorated Brisbane No.1 jumper.

On the eve of Brisbane’s final-round clash with the Bulldogs Saturday night at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium, “The Iceman” Isaako has big-picture plans that involve him wearing the fullback jumper made famous by Darren Lockyer. Isaako was Brisbane’s golden-point hero against the Eels last week, driving home a field goal to all but seal a finals berth in a sign the backline dynamo has recaptured his confidence and zip on Brisbane’s right wing.

But ultimately Isaako has dreams to be Brisbane’s fullback matchwinner with the Broncos having spent the past three years grooming him to be Darius Boyd’s successor before coach Anthony Seibold’s big switch.

Seibold’s shock decision two months ago to move Milford to fullback and shift skipper Boyd to five-eighth has thrown a spanner in the works for Isaako. The Kiwi Test flyer is a team player who has great respect for Milford’s talent and Seibold’s tactical gamble, but he is refusing to give up hope of becoming Brisbane’s pre-eminent custodian. Asked if he still harbours a desire to shift to fullback, Isaako said: “Yes absolutely. “I still have a goal to try and play fullback.

“At the moment Seibs has ‘Milf’ at the back and he is doing the job for us and I have to respect that. “All I can do is try and perform on the wing and put my best foot forward for the team wherever they want to play me.” One of Queensland’s greatest fullbacks, former Origin and Test custodian Gary Belcher, said it would be a mistake to move Milford, declaring he must finish his NRL career in the Broncos’ No.1 jumper.

Belcher believes Isaako has the skill-set to succeed in the backfield, but is adamant Milford has found a home out of the frontline. “I think Jamayne will struggle to play fullback for the Broncos,” said 16-game Origin legend Belcher. “Isaako can be a very good fullback but he has a bit of work to do to be the finished product.

“I just can’t see Isaako playing too many games at fullback unless Milford gets injured.
“I am loving the way ‘Milf’ is playing in the No.1 jumper. He is back in the groove there. “His role is not that of a conventional fullback but it suits him beautifully the way they have got him playing.

“I know Darius hasn’t gone long left in his career but I wouldn’t move Milford back into the halves. “Milf has shown he is a much better player for the club as a fullback and I hope he finishes his career there.” Isaako struggled early in the season after being rocked by his father’s cancer diagnosis, but after a mid-season trip to visit his family in New Zealand, he has surged back into form.

“I’m just a lot less stressed about family matters,” he said. “Just being able to go back home earlier in the year and speaking to the coaching staff about spending time with my father gave me a lot more stress relief. “I came back to the Broncos with a clearer mind of my role here at training and my role in the team. That has definitely helped me.”

Can you please post the one about Milford not being in the nines .

Can you please post the one about Milford not being in the nines .

It was just one paragraph:

Blindside: Why Brisbane star Anthony Milford is missing the World Nines

CHRIS HONNERY,
BLINDSIDE, The Courier-Mail
October 17, 2019 4:36pm

One notable absentee from the World Nines tournament this weekend will be Broncos maestro Anthony Milford. The 25-year-old helped launch the event in Sydney earlier this year, representing Samoa, however he has not been named to play. Milford was scheduled to have knee surgery in the off-season, and it’s understood it could be the reason why he has sat out this weekend’s games.

CHRIS HONNERY,

One notable absentee from the World Nines tournament this weekend will be Broncos maestro Anthony Milford. The 25-year-old helped launch the event in Sydney earlier this year, representing Samoa, however he has not been named to play. Milford was scheduled to have knee surgery in the off-season, and it’s understood it could be the reason why he has sat out this weekend’s games.
More fucking surgery for Milf.

If he needs surgery why wasn't he booked in on the Tuesday after mad Monday... FMD

Yeah **** sake. If he couldn’t come back fit after a shoulder surgery how’s he going to fair not being able to run.

All the talk about Bird at fullback, has he ever played there for a decent period? I’m sure he was a backrower at St George in the under 20s. Did he play fullback for cronulla?

CHRIS HONNERY,

Thanks mate

More fucking surgery for Milf.

If he needs surgery why wasn't he booked in on the Tuesday after mad Monday... FMD
It’s probably just a clean out. Getting it done now before pre season.

So based on his old ISC numbers, he's probably at worst still going to put up better numbers than Boyd and around the same numbers as Milford, but Milford going back to 5/8 would significantly strengthen that role too, so overall it would be a net gain most likely.

Bird is the wild card in all this, but honestly, aside from a bit of gut feel, the hard evidence that suggests he'd be a great Fullback is fairly light on.

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Bird
5. Boyd

When you consider that this lineup gets Darius onto the Wing where he can probably be most effective (read - less of a liability) and it puts Bird into a position we already have firm evidence he's capable of performing strongly in, I actually think it stacks up fairly well.

Milford back at 5/8 and assuming we've gone to market for a proper, experienced Halfback on our books and you know what, our Forward pack is so strong that at full strength that we just might be competitive again.

id **** Boyd off for Farnworth. He looked every bit a first grader.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • MrMoore
  • theshed
  • Brocko
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
  • KateBroncos1812
  • leon.bott
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dash
  • Wolfie
  • Mustafur
  • HVbronco
  • BroncosMan
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • LittleDavey
  • Big Del
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.