Israel Folau’s secret meeting with the Brisbane Broncos revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why people are all up in arms over this. That man has religious beliefs and he has every right to voice them. This is a free country and he hasn't harmed any body. No body is forced to go look at his instagram, twitter or facebook. No, people seek it out to be offended. Its like me complaing about a femists post calling me a privileged white male or an lgbt saying that all cis white males should die. Or going into a muslim mosque and complaing about going to hell due to being an infadel. laugh and say **** em.

This nanny state has to end. You can't walk around thinking you will never be offended or that every one will agree with your way of life. Its your life so who fucking cares what some random person thinks about it.

We have stood up for people on here who have committed actual crimes. But Izzy speaking his beliefs is seen as unforgivable. **** me.

The go fund me is a good idea as it shows he is not alone. I will donate because one day its Izzy the next it could be me or somebody else and if you think the word police will just stop at this your crazy.

You know, I didn’t even like the guy completely. He beat his missus and I was fully aware. He had a drinking problem. But, his problems were somewhat handed down to him by his parents. His children certainly didn’t deserve to pay the price that they did.

You may not have liked the guy that much but it's still a good act to help his family not continue to pay for his problems.

You know what I find ironic is if Jesus was real he most likely would have wanted Israel just to turn the other cheek and walk away, it's even stated during the sermon on the mount in the new testament from that bible he believes in.

Your not alone Soup, there was a time in 2015 I was considering it myself and it was my family and friends that stopped me. I had been made redundent after 11 years of service for my first major full time job(something I was holding onto as having self worth), during that time I had battled the development of epilepsy which saw frequent periods of treatment working and not working.

That led to bouts of depression and a drinking problem to try to compensate, I wasn't angry at them funnily enough I was angry at myself like I had done something wrong to do so. I was in self denial that I had a problem and nearly killed myself driving after having a seizure. As crazy as that sounds it was the wake up called I needed, my family needed me and I needed them. I stopped drinking and haven't drunk for roughly 4 years with no desire to return to it, treatment is starting to work and though I still have moments of self doubt it's been a while since I have considered it.

Last edited:
Thanks mate and to you too, I know how bat shit crazy it can get at times just do the best you can do.

With all due respect, you don't know that. No doubt there’s a reason to sack your best player and your sponsors have a loud voice - but really!

From what I have read (admittedly in the papers) he was well liked by his team-mates. Even RA didn't want him gone - they gave him every opportunity to do the right thing, but rightly or wrongly, Folau has stuck to his guns.

IMO free speech is one thing. And as much as Israel believes himself that he's doing the right thing, he's simply not. His proclamation that he's saying these things out of "love" may well be what he intends it to be, but it's not coming across like that, it is borderline hate speech.

Too all the stupid people sending Izzy money. You do know he has 5 million dollars in investment properties in Sydney alone. Plus a Lamborghini.

Young kids dieing in hospital but you'd rather make izzys lawyers fatter if it's even going to them.

Have a look in the mirror you idiots!

What’s astounding is how many rich idiots there are in this world.

Numerous $5,000 donations?!? You’ve got to be kidding me.

Give that money to cancer research, MND research, RSPCA, Dolly’s Dream or one of the thousands of other worthwhile causes there are out there.

I actually find it disgusting.

Give that money to cancer research, MND research, RSPCA, Dolly’s Dream or one of the thousands of other worthwhile causes there are out there.

So what would you say about people who suggest we set up a GoFundMe to keep a sports player at a particular club? Where is the disgust and outrage over there?

I think a lot of people are failing to understand that people that are donating aren’t seeing it as money going towards his personal battle, but they are seeing it as investing into religious rights. Even Muslim people are donating, this isn’t just a Christian thing, it’s perking the interests of people from all sorts of beliefs that values free speech. The more the media reports about it and the more outrage is stirred up, the more he is being seen as a head figure fighting for free speech.
What people want to do with their money is totally up to them.

One can care about free speech and individual rights without topping up a multi-millionaires wallet. If the right to breach your contract without repercussions is so fundamentally important then why can't Israel pay for it himself? The AFL paid him millions to leave the Broncos, the ARU paid him millions more, he apparently has a $5.6 million dollar property portfolio and can easily earn a high 6 or 7 figure salary playing in Japan or Europe. Given religion seems to be fundamentally important to him I don't see why he has to whip out the begging bowl for a private litigation he can easily afford to fund himself, unless he's such a good athlete he plans on passing a camel through the eye of a needle as his final act.

Last edited:
One can care about free speech and individual rights without topping up a multi-millionaires wallet. If the right to breach your contract without repercussions is so fundamentally important then why can't Israel pay for it himself? The AFL paid him millions to leave the Broncos, the ARU paid him millions more, he apparently has a $5.6 million dollar property portfolio and can easily earn a high 6 or 7 figure salary playing in Japan or Europe. Given religion seems to be fundamentally important to him I don't see why he has to whip out the begging bowl for a private litigation he can easily afford to fund himself, unless he's such a good athlete he plans on passing a camel through the eye of a needle as his final act.

What people spend their money on is their business. We all spend money on shit we don’t need, that could quite easily be spent elsewhere more productivity. He’s not forcing anyone to donate, and the amount of donations he’s received obviously shows how out of touch the left/media are with the public

So what would you say about people who suggest we set up a GoFundMe to keep a sports player at a particular club? Where is the disgust and outrage over there?
I’d say firstly that I don’t really see the relevance of that in this discussion, but secondly and more importantly, I’d say they won’t get a cent from me regardless of who the athlete is.

If I am going to make a donation, it is going to be to a cause that needs support and revenue, not to support some greedy shitbag simply wanting more money (in the case of a GFM to sign a player at a club).

There are people out there starving to death, people laying in hospital beds wasting away suffering unimaginable deaths, thousands upon thousands of animals being needlessly and sometimes, inhumanely, euthanised.

Those causes need support, the people trying to fight for those causes need money.

Last edited:
I don't know why people are all up in arms over this. That man has religious beliefs and he has every right to voice them. This is a free country and he hasn't harmed any body. No body is forced to go look at his instagram, twitter or facebook. No, people seek it out to be offended. Its like me complaing about a femists post calling me a privileged white male or an lgbt saying that all cis white males should die. Or going into a muslim mosque and complaing about going to hell due to being an infadel. laugh and say **** em.

This nanny state has to end. You can't walk around thinking you will never be offended or that every one will agree with your way of life. Its your life so who fucking cares what some random person thinks about it.

We have stood up for people on here who have committed actual crimes. But Izzy speaking his beliefs is seen as unforgivable. **** me.

The go fund me is a good idea as it shows he is not alone. I will donate because one day its Izzy the next it could be me or somebody else and if you think the word police will just stop at this your crazy.

A lot of sense being spoken here.

What people spend their money on is their business. We all spend money on shit we don’t need, that could quite easily be spent elsewhere more productivity. He’s not forcing anyone to donate, and the amount of donations he’s received obviously shows how out of touch the left/media are with the public
People can spend their money as they see fit, I can have an opinion on that (although I don't recall voicing one in here), people can have an opinion about my opinion and on and on ad infinitum. Just because he's not forcing anyone to donate doesn't make it a better look for a multi millionaire to be rattling the tin for other people to cover his legal bills. It seems like he's less looking for freedom of speech and more for freedom from consequences.

People can spend their money as they see fit, I can have an opinion on that (although I don't recall voicing one in here), people can have an opinion about my opinion and on and on ad infinitum. Just because he's not forcing anyone to donate doesn't make it a better look for a multi millionaire to be rattling the tin for other people to cover his legal bills. It seems like he's less looking for freedom of speech and more for freedom from consequences.

Yeah not a good look I agree, but I can see why his GoFundMe account is making headway. I’m predicting there to be a massive spike in donations tomorrow afternoon once church services have finished.

I think the whole freedom of speech argument lays in the consequence that he’s received. There is no freedom of speech if consequences such as losing your livelihood are being forced as a result of that speech.

At the end of the day people can spend their money how they like. It's not a zero sum game where if you're spending X dollars on Y luxury you're somehow a villain because there are sick and dying people who need support (which they get in our country with Universal Healthcare, but that's a different argument).

25% of people develop potentially fatal cancer in their lifetimes and others live with chronic illnesses (I personally have Colitis, which isn't the worst thing in the world but still requires medication which gets expensive over time). It sucks, but it's reality and people with money shouldn't feel bad about it because they're donating to what they believe is a big deal, and it sort of is when you consider that a decision in Folau's favour could very well set a legal precedent.

A suggestion I made that could make sense to some who avidly follow and support their sporting team, including already parting with large sums of money for membership etc. Rich super fans like Politis already likely do this and skew the competition anyway. Again, people can spend their money how they like and Go Fund Me doesn't exist purely to assist those with horrible illnesses.

At the end of the day people can spend their money how they like. It's not a zero sum game where if you're spending X dollars on Y luxury you're somehow a villain because there are sick and dying people who need support (which they get in our country with Universal Healthcare, but that's a different argument).

25% of people develop potentially fatal cancer in their lifetimes and others live with chronic illnesses (I personally have Colitis, which isn't the worst thing in the world but still requires medication which gets expensive over time). It sucks, but it's reality and people with money shouldn't feel bad about it because they're donating to what they believe is a big deal, and it sort of is when you consider that a decision in Folau's favour could very well set a legal precedent.

A suggestion I made that could make sense to some who avidly follow and support their sporting team, including already parting with large sums of money for membership etc. Rich super fans like Politis already likely do this and skew the competition anyway. Again, people can spend their money how they like and Go Fund Me doesn't exist purely to assist those with horrible illnesses.
People can absolutely spend their money how they see fit, I’m not debating that.

Equally, I can, and will continue to, call them idiots and find it disgusting that they waste it on unworthy causes like supporting a multi-millionaire in his personal legal fight because he chose to repeatedly breach his employment contract, rather than put it to good use supporting people who not only have no choice regarding the fight they find themselves in but also truly need it.

People can absolutely spend their money how they see fit, I’m not debating that.

Equally, I can, and will continue to, call them idiots and find it disgusting that they waste it on unworthy causes like supporting a multi-millionaire in his personal legal fight because he chose to repeatedly breach his employment contract, rather than put it to good use supporting people who not only have no choice regarding the fight they find themselves in but also truly need it.

Exactly. People can do, say, spend their money or whatever they want in whatever way they want. It doesn’t mean they are immune to criticism or consequences of their choices, particularly when it’s played out so publicly.

Israel has freedom to say what he wants, but he has to face and accept consequences of losing his job (‘vilifying’ entire sections of society will do that). He has the right to set up a gofundme and people have the right to donate to it, but they can be criticised for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.