It feels good to be coached by Bennett again

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Upfront, I don't mean for this thread to turn into another shit show around Bennett. I just felt compelled to create a thread to gauge how many other Broncs fans out there are feeling the same way I do.

Watching our boys go around this morning, I felt something that I haven't felt for a long time. Pride. Despite the horrible conditions and rusty players, they all played for each other, had a dig and put the effort in when it mattered. Not only that, but it was consistent for the full 80 minutes. We never seemed to be taking the foot off the peddle.

This is classic Bennett. Nobody knows how to gee a team up better than he does, and I've missed that trait about him dearly. We have a lot yet to fix, yes, but we couldn't ask for a better foundation than what we got today.

He adds a lot of things, but at the same time, I think the game has been evolving away from him. In a perfect world, he'd be the figurehead, and then we'd have some guy with less charisma but better understanding of the modern game behind the scenes.

He adds a lot of things, but at the same time, I think the game has been evolving away from him. In a perfect world, he'd be the figurehead, and then we'd have some guy with less charisma but better understanding of the modern game behind the scenes.

I'm not sure figurehead is the perfect word but see what you're getting at here. He makes a perfect man manager a la Mal Meninga. He always struck me as a thinker with a deep understanding of the game, but if you're right hopefully Kevvy can add in some tactical advice. Even better with Locky doing some work with Milf.

And honestly I don't know why the players are responding to him like this. They obviously bled for Hook but they never really seemed to dig as deep for him. I guess that's why Wayne's the coach and I'm some yutz on an internet forum.

In any case I'm very glad he's back. It just feels like the Broncos of old again. Not even sure why, this morning was the first full game I've seen and the season hasn't even started yet, but everything just felt right.

Last edited:
Watching our boys go around this morning, I felt something that I haven't felt for a long time. Pride. Despite the horrible conditions and rusty players, they all played for each other, had a dig and put the effort in when it mattered. Not only that, but it was consistent for the full 80 minutes. We never seemed to be taking the foot off the peddle.

Yeah I don't know about all of that. Wigan sprinting away down the sideline to secure the draw and put things into golden point, was a reminder that we still aren't putting the opposition to the sword for the entire 80 mins....

It was nice however to see the bench being utilised thoroughly for a change ......

I get what IBM means. it's early days and it showed with the last minute draw but everything before the game just felt positive. With Hook it was only ever a 'maybe' feeling when thinking if we'd win games or not. Also I love him back purely for his pressers

The team still has a lot to work on obviously but I did see something in this team I haven't sen for a long time and that was commitment and some semblance of a game plan. If that can't be attributed to the coach then I don't know what can be.

I don't think they took the foot off the pedal at all. It wasn't like they were scoring at will and then stopped. We scored as many points as this very new halves partnership and that backline allowed. You can say 'we only won in extra time' however if Vidot doesn't make the error in coming in off his wing they are camped down their end and the game most likely ends with us 6 points ahead.

In regards to extra time I sore tired bodies willing to punch through the middle to try and gain advantage. I saw a kick to the corner that trapped them down there end which I don't remember seeing in extra time from us usually.

At the end of the day people see what they want to see.

Anyone notice that our ability to shut down the offloads and getting their huge forwards on the ground quickly has improved tenfold? Haven't seen much about it but it was one of the most obvious changes to how we played.

Re: The Wayne Bennett Super thread!

Wow, what a win from the B(ennett)roncos, we couldn't have won that game without the calming influence of the MASTER in the coaches box. Our best player didn't even play that good, it was just the pure will and fight that Bennett has instilled in them that made us win, we're in for a great year guys, strap yourselves in, the Bennett train has left the station.

Bennett!
Bennett!
Bennett!

1 games means nothing, so my post has nothing to do with the win over Wigan

Never wanted him to leave, beyond ecstatic when he decided to return

I hope his influence is felt by this club forever

I'll let ya know how I feel around Origin time, still saw things in the game I had an issue with but can't expect it to all change after one game either.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • theshed
  • ChewThePhatt
  • davidp
  • RodF
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Midean
  • Aldo
  • broncos4life
  • Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • MrRobot
  • Dash
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncs1459
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.