It's happening: News LTD calls for Seibold sacking

But who would take a big coaching deal at the broncos from here on out, on a long term contract, if they know that one bad run of half a dozen games can mean the end for them? Contracts in the NRL become more of a farce every season.
it’s not just a half dozen run of games though. It’s a 40% win rate over 18 months. It’s every single player regressing under his charge. It’s the way he carries himself and looks utterly bereft of answers.

We still have a lot of talent in the squad, we just need a coach with an iota of talent and we should be winning more games that we’re losing.

So, who's fault is it?

Here we have key Board members discussing what went wrong with rebuilding Hotel Broncos, who is to blame, and how to fix it:

What type of CULTURE to you create when you sack workhorses who shoulder so much responsibility (McGuire, McCullough) and reward and keep those who show next to ZERO responsibility (Boyd, Mildford)?

You create a dysfunctional culture where no one knows where they stand with the club!!!!

Play well and with discipline GET SHOWN THE DOOR. Play like a busted ass - you get $800,000+ a year!

Is anyone shocked that the attitude of the players is screwed up?

Isaac Luke may very well be a better player than McCullough in attack, but the whole mid-season swapping thing is destabilising to the squad.

Look at all successful teams of recent times and you will see STABILITY of roster. None of the type of swapping and manipulation that's gone on in the Broncos squad over the past two years.

Seibold may be a poor coach, but if you are working with such SHITE team/roster management, you have very little to work with because the culture is one of REWARDING THE POOR EFFORT AND PUNISHING THE GOOD EFFORT.

Toovey said he had approached warriors on 360 so I I think Brisbane won’t be an issue. Sound like he wants to coach again

Its surprising Geoff Toovey hasn't found a coaching job in the NRL again considering he guided Manly to a grand final. The knock maybe he inherited a good team from Des Hasler who won a grand final with Manly just before he took the offer and left for the Bulldogs. And Toovey was just riding the coattails.

I know some thought Manly letting Toovey go was a bit too hastily done. After Manly and Trent Barrett went their separate ways, Manly ignored calls to reappoint Toovey and went with Hasler. So maybe there is something Toovey is lacking as a coach behind the scenes where not seeing.

Currently top story on the Courier Mail.

View attachment 8496

Badel declares war:

"Brisbane’s board should call an emergency meeting on Sunday to discuss sacking Anthony Seibold after the Broncos inexplicably crashed to their sixth consecutive defeat against the lowly Warriors in Gosford. The Broncos board have pledged unqualified support for Seibold but the coach must now be in the firing line after Brisbane blew a 10-0 lead to lose 26-16 to a Warriors team that are low on troops and stranded in Australia. "

"Based on this latest debacle, Seibold should resign. Seibold said he would know if he’s not the right man to lead the Broncos and six straight defeats is evidence he can’t stop the rot. If Seibold won’t walk, the Broncos board should have the courage to fire him. "

Once again, getting his ideas from BHQ.

McHunt

My gripe with Newscorpse coverage is not they are calling for him to be sacked. It's that they have labeled Anthony Seibold 'dead man walking'. As if the decision has already been made to sack him. As if they have stated this so it must happen.

Newcorpse and the Courier Fail don't just report the news but they think their players. Their rot doesn't just go into sport but also delves into who should be running the state/country.

My gripe with Newscorpse coverage is not they are calling for him to be sacked. It's that they have labeled Anthony Seibold 'dead man walking'. As if the decision has already been made to sack him. As if they have stated this so it must happen.

Newcorpse and the Courier Fail don't just report the news but they think their players. Their rot doesn't just go into sport but also delves into who should be running the state/country.

They run the country. End of story

These titles. Are you getting paid by the click too, McHunt?

Get rid of him.
Get rid of any entitled seniors players and any entitled rookies.
Get some Egyptians to chases Moses away.
Throw in Lockyer too
[automerge]1593922080[/automerge]
Lessons learnt: PowerPoint presentations are not a good indicator of competence.
Reminds me of entourage when the agents all do the same bad presentations
[automerge]1593922109[/automerge]
Lessons learnt: PowerPoint presentations are not a good indicator of competence.
Reminds me of entourage when the agents all do the same bad video presentations

Last edited:
What type of CULTURE to you create when you sack workhorses who shoulder so much responsibility (McGuire, McCullough) and reward and keep those who show next to ZERO responsibility (Boyd, Mildford)?

You create a dysfunctional culture where no one knows where they stand with the club!!!!

Play well and with discipline GET SHOWN THE DOOR. Play like a busted ass - you get $800,000+ a year!

Is anyone shocked that the attitude of the players is screwed up?

Isaac Luke may very well be a better player than McCullough in attack, but the whole mid-season swapping thing is destabilising to the squad.

Look at all successful teams of recent times and you will see STABILITY of roster. None of the type of swapping and manipulation that's gone on in the Broncos squad over the past two years.

Seibold may be a poor coach, but if you are working with such SHITE team/roster management, you have very little to work with because the culture is one of REWARDING THE POOR EFFORT AND PUNISHING THE GOOD EFFORT.
FMD, BHQ as a tremendous capacity for re-writing sometimes, almost from the Paul Kent school of journalism. McGuire was let go because he wanted a longer contract than what we were prepared to offer him and he had a better option available in the form of the Cowboys. Any number of members here had criticised him re him stifling our attack with his oh so regular 4th/5th tackle hit ups that go no where (something he is continuing to do at the Cowboys). There were also rumours that he was a divisive influence in the dressing room.

Re McCullough, once again, how many people on here have regularly criticised his performance, wanted him gone and once again blamed him for stifling the attack. He was not prepared to take a back seat to Turpin and he sought a release to go to Newcastle to get regular game time.

So Mr Kent, can you give us a break on NRL360 this week please?

I know some thought Manly letting Toovey go was a bit too hastily done. After Manly and Trent Barrett went their separate ways, Manly ignored calls to reappoint Toovey and went with Hasler. So maybe there is something Toovey is lacking as a coach behind the scenes where not seeing.
As far as I remember Toovey got along with one side of the owners group at Manly and not the other. The other took direct control of the club during Toovey's tenure and Toovey was told he wasn't required. I think there is a fair bit of bad blood between Toovey and them.

Last edited:
McCullough has shown when you put him in a spine that is creative and know what they are doing, he is exactly what you need - serviceable and excellent defensively. Let’s remember he played his best at the club when we had Lockyer & Wallace in the halves.

You all know here I’m a big fan of his, but obviously he doesn’t have that next level in his game to be the ‘main man’ of the spine, so when you have inconsistent and constantly changing halves although he is great defensively doesn’t give you what you need in attack.

Newcastle is a good situation for him. His dummy and drive is back because the defence is looking at the other weapons of the spine and he is back playing with confidence.

There was clearly an agenda against Macca when he was here. It even got to the stage where members were critising his denfence FFS! However, he has shown when you put him in the right mix of the spine he fills a need.

Macca playing his best footy in years at the Knights makes you wonder about the culture at the Broncos. Similar to the Morris twins form at the Roosters, everything falls into place if you have a good culture and coaching set up. Loan Milford and Boyd to Melbourne for a fortnight and see how they play, I'm sure they'd be much improved.

Something is seriously wrong at Brisbane and it all links back to management. The recruitment and retention debacle is beyond belief and the lack of wisdom, experience, intelligence and strength of character is now flowing through to the playing group. I cannot believe the players are on social media and pouring their hearts out on television after a loss is quite frankly embarrassing.

Seibs might have been Dally M coach of the year in 2018 at Souths, but he had a squad of champions that Happy Jack could have led to the finals. Likewise as assistant to Kevvie at Qld he had Smith, Thurston, Cronk, and Slater. His record as an assistant and defensive coach with struggling sides ie Manly 2016 and Souths 2017 has been very ordinary.

FMD, BHQ as a tremendous capacity for re-writing sometimes, almost from the Paul Kent school of journalism. McGuire was let go because he wanted a longer contract than what we were prepared to offer him and he had a better option available in the form of the Cowboys. Any number of members here had criticised him re him stifling our attack with his oh so regular 4th/5th tackle hit ups that go no where (something he is continuing to do at the Cowboys). There were also rumours that he was a divisive influence in the dressing room.

Re McCullough, once again, how many people on here have regularly criticised his performance, wanted him gone and once again blamed him for stifling the attack. He was not prepared to take a back seat to Turpin and he sought a release to go to Newcastle to get regular game time.

So Mr Kent, can you give us a break on NRL360 this week please?

So you're saying we let McGuire go because we had other priorities and couldn't coach him to contribute to the team as needed? And ... you are quoting "rumours" while at the same time giving me a serve about my "journalism" .... to very, very hypocritical and funny.

You are probably right about McCullough ... so I concede on that.

But I won't concede on the culture of the place today - where mediocrity is rewarded in spades. Stability is the key in all the best sides - and being committed to coaching players to reach their potential - not treating players like chess pieces who you simply move on if your own system is failing them.

And the other factor behind the scenes is no doubt player management. Too much interference from managers, Too much interference from the board - and the coach is left to work with a patchwork quilt.

I can't be arsed rewriting the whole thing, but just noting Badel has submitted another long winded hit piece in today's Courier Mail. These extracts pretty much sum it up:

"Seibold is battling something more imperceptible. There is internal angst and anxiety among the playing group. It would be too harsh to suggest a revolt is taking place, but Seibold is precariously placed with Broncos players, many of whom do not feel the fatherly bonds they shared with his predecessor Wayne Bennett."

"One player believes Seibold is almost “too nice”, rarely giving them the behind-the-scenes rockets that Bennett and Craig Bellamy would have dished out in their supercoach careers. "

"Others find Seibold’s game plans and general advice too technical. One, in particular, feels totally overloaded with information – call it paralysis by analysis – to the point where he is confused by his role and what the coach expects of him on game day. "

McHunt

Last edited:
There have been issues behind the scenes for a while from what I'd heard. Like with Roberts, obviously there were issues there but the thing that finished it off was Seibold getting stuck into Roberts for doing what he thought Seibold had told him to do. Regardless of whether he's some amazing tactical genius, man management is absolutely fundamental to getting the best out of a high-performing team and all the signs and performances so far point to Pies having serious deficiencies in that regard.

There have been issues behind the scenes for a while from what I'd heard. Like with Roberts, obviously there were issues there but the thing that finished it off was Seibold getting stuck into Roberts for doing what he thought Seibold had told him to do. Regardless of whether he's some amazing tactical genius, man management is absolutely fundamental to getting the best out of a high-performing team and all the signs and performances so far point to Pies having serious deficiencies in that regard.
Roberts was quoted in the takedown, describing him as "miserable":

“I can’t handle the way the coach speaks to me. He doesn’t respect me. He talks down to me. I don’t trust him.”

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Broncosgirl
  • Culhwch
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • mitch222
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Fatboy
  • Harry Sack
  • bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • Lurker
  • The Don
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.