NEWS It's happening: Oates to pack down

Its harsh on Arthars, but i dont think he has been anywhere near as good as people have made him out to be. He is benefitting from not being Boyd in the same way Turpin has benefited by not being Macca. I'd still have him in there over Boyd though.

Its harsh on Arthars, but i dont think he has been anywhere near as good as people have made him out to be. He is benefitting from not being Boyd in the same way Turpin has benefited by not being Macca. I'd still have him in there over Boyd though.
Surely Staggs and Farnworth/Niu would go better in the centres. Arthurs and Boyd both deserved to be dropped. The new guys couldn't go any worse. Just give Darius his money, say thanks and keep him out of the side

Last edited:
im hearing its Coates at centre with Herbie outside him?

Staggs is back on the right so....Where is Boyd playing then?

Must be a typo..?

Also, at the very least Corey can now shut up about never getting a chance to play second row...wager he's the first to be subbed..

I remember Dell having a stint in the 2nd row; first time id seen him play with headgear...thats was humorous while it lasted..

Oates really has no future in the forwards....maybe he really does become that 17th man who can provide emergency winger/second row depth..

Actually...thats not a bad idea...

Has anyone been saying he’s been good? It’s more that he’s clearly not as bad as Boyd who has been horrific.

im hearing its Coates at centre with Herbie outside him?

Staggs is back on the right so....Where is Boyd playing then?

Must be a typo..?

Also, at the very least Corey can now shut up about never getting a chance to play second row...wager he's the first to be subbed..

I remember Dell having a stint in the 2nd row; first time id seen him play with headgear...thats was humorous while it lasted..

Oates really has no future in the forwards....maybe he really does become that 17th man who can provide emergency winger/second row depth..

Actually...thats not a bad idea...

If Coates does go to centre it may be:

2.Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Coates
5. Farnworth

I can only hope that’s the case

Has anyone been saying he’s been good? It’s more that he’s clearly not as bad as Boyd who has been horrific.

There have been a few posts saying it. Dont get me wrong either, i think he has been decent enough and i dont think he deserves dropping. At the same time, up until the rorters game i dont think Boyd has been horrific this year so far. I just dont see the point in playing Darius over Arthars when one has the capability to develop as a player and the other doesnt.

Surely Staggs and Farnworth/Niu would go better in the centres. Arthurs and Boyd both deserved to be dropped. The new guys couldn't go any worse. Just give Darius his money, say thanks and keep him out of the side

Personally, i dont see Niu as an option in the centers. I think @1910 has spoken about him a bit there, but i just dont think physically he would be able to cope with a lot of the centers going around in the NRL at the moment. Its fullback or nothing for him right now imo. Farnworth we should just stick to let him playing wing for now. I had Staggs in the back row as he has played there before and i personally think he will become a better back rower than he will a center. Pretty much said that even before he became a regular here, but of course, right now, once everyone is fit, he will need to play center because he is the best we have.

I'm not into dropping blokes after one ordinary performance either. Arthars deserves a run of games imo.
[automerge]1591523924[/automerge]
Lol of course. Gutless turd.

I dont get what he is going on about really. No point bagging the players then coming out with guff like that.

Last edited:
I think Corey Oates is lucky to even get a chance here at 2nd row ,considering the shit show as wingman of late . He does have the ability at times ,to break a tackle and hopefully he has the motor for the job . There's nowhere to hide in this position and he'll need to be willing to tackle for the full 80. Whether he can stand and deliver an offload in offence , is what I'll be looking for and then get aggressive in defence , which I'm doubting. You better go hard son , your required work rate is about to tell all about just how much you want this position.

Last edited:
Personally, i dont see Niu as an option in the centers. I think @1910 has spoken about him a bit there, but i just dont think physically he would be able to cope with a lot of the centers going around in the NRL at the moment. Its fullback or nothing for him right now imo. Farnworth we should just stick to let him playing wing for now. I had Staggs in the back row as he has played there before and i personally think he will become a better back rower than he will a center. Pretty much said that even before he became a regular here, but of course, right now, once everyone is fit, he will need to play center because he is the best we have.

I'm not into dropping blokes after one ordinary performance either. Arthars deserves a run of games imo.
[automerge]1591523924[/automerge]

I dont get what he is going on about really. No point bagging the players then coming out with guff like that.

I could be wrong but Staggs looks too small for the backrow. His game seems ideal for centre and I can’t see him playing any other position right now. However, I do wonder if he could be converted into a dummy half sometimes.

Staggs has shown a lot of potential at centre which is a position which is thin across the league. Just leave him there. Backrowers are a dime a dozen compared to a potentially gun centre.

I could be wrong but Staggs looks too small for the backrow. His game seems ideal for centre and I can’t see him playing any other position right now. However, I do wonder if he could be converted into a dummy half sometimes.

Staggs in terms of height is taller than Glenn, and as he gets older he would fill out a bit.
[automerge]1591570139[/automerge]
Staggs has shown a lot of potential at centre which is a position which is thin across the league. Just leave him there. Backrowers are a dime a dozen compared to a potentially gun centre.

He looked just as good playing back row coming through, imo he looked better there than at centre. He could easily be equally, if not more damaging as a hole runner playing edge back row.

Last edited:
He looked just as good playing back row coming through, imo he looked better there than at centre. He could easily be equally, if not more damaging as a hole runner playing edge back row.

If only the broncos could come up with ways to utilise their back rowers this way instead of just hit ups.

Mogg had Staggs in the second row from his second game in 2018, one off the bench then #12. Played 80 minutes his first game there. 29 tackles and 1 miss, second week 80 minutes, 25 tackles two misses.

Didn't affect his goal kicking or try scoring while he was there- 13/14 goal kicks and 1 try for 30 points in two weeks.
[automerge]1591576395[/automerge]

I think his best games have been at centre, he just likes to run the ball and support, he has done that well from right centre. Fullback carries too much responsibility and his passing game isn't up to it yet.

Last edited:
Oates will get found out (again) massively. There are a few blokes I’d be dropping before I dropped Arthars. With Boyd and Milford in this side, we are still in big trouble.

Oates will get found out (again) massively. There are a few blokes I’d be dropping before I dropped Arthars. With Boyd and Milford in this side, we are still in big trouble.
The following week TPJ will be back and Glenn is aiming to be back, that's a suitable starting back row if Oates shits the bed. Fifi also due back within 2 weeks of that so maybe titans, warriors or dogs.

This then moves Oates to the bench as the utility / back row cover moving forward.

I'm not sure either back rower named this week can play out the 80 so Hoppa/ Bullemor probably come in to relieve one or both at some point.

I'm actually more worried about Offa on an edge than Oates on the edge at this stage

Active Now

• Strop
  • Fozz
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • Fitzy
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Broncorob
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • BruiserMk1
  • broncotville
  • Santa
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • teampjta
  • Galah
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.