NEWS It's happening: Oates to pack down

Not breaking tackles anymore and won't be surprising if the opposition start rag dolling him backwards.

Too skinny in the legs and torso for mine.
Oates needs to hit the gym more and put on some muscle asap to be relevant anymore..

Here's the link to Tallis responding to Lodge and the whole bit about the Broncos on Triple M.

Tallis is such a wanker 😂

He is more than a wanker, he is a coward.

For months he has been saying all anyone needs to do is ask for his help and he will be there, he is asked to come down and he refuses and backs away with his tail between his legs. He then tries to save face by saying they made their bed and isn't going to help them now they are in trouble. Newsflash halfwit, that's when people need help. No-one is asking for help when things are going well because they don't need help.

Add to all this the way he has bagged the club and even legends like Lockyer and then hid behind his media mates knowing that Locky can't or won't hit back just shows how spineless he is.

Great football player, a pathetic and cowardly excuse of a person.

I'd actually like to see Staggs at 5/8 to play a role like Wighton/Munster. Powerful runner who wants to get involved with the play. I reckon he'd do a better job than Milford...

Milford I'd happily see turfed out of the club and use that money to sign a top tier 9.

Im actually excited to see Oates in second row he can make the postion his own if he buckles down like I think he can.

I get that people are criticising the oates to second row decision but what's the solution? It is shuffling the deck chairs on a sinking ship but there's no lifeboats available at the moment.
Staggs to second row may have been an option too but that is again shuffling the deck chairs.
My feeling is that oates to second row will be a 30 minute job with hopoate coming on for him. Hopoate isn't a starting first grader but he did well off the bench for us in round 1 and 2, he just c ant handle the pace at the start of the game.
It's unbelievable to think the depth we will have in the 2nd row if oates makes a good go of this though and with everyone back plus teo. It'll be the complete opposite of the current situation.

Coates may just have a shocker i think though everyone. Reason being is something I haven't seen mentioned on here or in the media about teams at the moment, which I have found amazing. RESERVE GRADE. Experienced players can come in after weeks or months without footy and do their job,but young players cant. it's something I think seibold has underestimated, but in saying that, we don't have any other options in our current squad. That's his fault yes, but I'm guessing his 2020 squad management wasn't based around pandemic-proofing the squad because they couldn't play reserve grade.....

I agree. Some in the media are saying that the changes prove that Seibold has no idea what to do.

There’s never an excuse good enough to get flogged like we have been but look who we’ve had out.

Bird
TPJ
Fifita
Stagg
Turpin
Glenn

They are 6 of our best or most important players. Only Haas Lodge (who is still under cooked) Milf and Croft remained from our top 10 players.

Answer honestly how any team would be going if they had 6 of their best 10 players out. Maybe not 59-0 bad but they’d be struggling for wins no doubt.

All Seibold really needs to do is tread water until most of the starting team is back. If he can fluke one or two wins in the mean time and decrease the loss margin, we will weather the storm and the finals are a realistic chance.
Staggs is back this week, TPJ the next I think. That alone is huge. Then we get Glenn and David back and eventually Turps returns by about mid season.

Seibolds biggest test as a coach right now is owning the towel ups we receive without damaging the team’s psyche for the rest of the season so we can build once we have the man power. If that means shifting Corey to deal with the mental anguish of missIng tackles in the middle of the field instead of a rookie then so be it. if it means letting Boyd continue to embarrass himself and cop the hidings and scrutiny for now, only to get dropped for Arthur’s once we start building momentum, I’m all for it.

Im actually excited to see Oates in second row he can make the postion his own if he buckles down like I think he can.

I hope so. A large part of his form drop is purely that we've failed to even get the ball to that wing for over a season now. Question is how far he has he really fallen. When he has run those centre plays he has chosen pretty good lines. He'll have a chance to create something that is not just a kick return.
Some of his defensive issues are around defending next to a dodgy centre but is that worse than having to cover the halves?

Is this the "listening to fans" that is shortly followed by joining them in the stands?

interesting stat about Corey; from emery last year he scored 13 tries and made 13 line breaks..

Hence every time he broke the line last year he basically scored.

Up to us to work out how to get him into that back field regularly. Obviously wont do that through he middle but assuming here he ends up in the backline after this 2nd row experiment finishes...

interesting stat about Corey; from emery last year he scored 13 tries and made 13 line breaks..

Hence every time he broke the line last year he basically scored.

Up to us to work out how to get him into that back field regularly. Obviously wont do that through he middle but assuming here he ends up in the backline after this 2nd row experiment finishes...
He seems like a poor man's Boyd Cordner.

Through the 20's he was a trying scorer out in the second row and now he has a workhorse mentality, which could allow him to be a serviceable second rower

I have some doubts about whether he could become a top line second rower though (and I believed they're shared across a few on this forum)

Agility and lateral movement - he doesn't have much of a step the big man

Offload and tackle busting - doesn't seem to have an offload (not always easy to display from the wing, but I can't recall too many) and doesn't seem to break a lot of tackles

Defence - sideways movement being an issue and also being able to protect the half... Matty G was as good at shooting out of the line and smacking the second rower as he was making cover tackles

Impact - not sure how to word it but when you see Cordner take a hitup it sounds like he gets absolutely belted (they can line him up due to a lack of footwork), but he never seems to get rocked. It's almost like he's attacking the line as much as they're trying to hit him (probably not great for a half having to defend him)... I'm not sure Oates has that. He runs into the middle from the wing already, but nowadays he's not making many post contact meters

Impact can also be said for defence and has the opposition fearing a run out on that edge knowing they'll get smacked (thinking Gillett, Wade Graham, etc.). It's part of defending the halves from second row and it's also about being able to get out and hit the opposition half, which is a Wade Graham speciality.

A lot of these things could've been displayed from his wing if he had it already (agility, footwork and tackle busting), but he seems like a Gavin Cooper/Alex Glenn style backrower, which is a dime a dozen type second rower to me

In saying that I've only seen some of his games at second row in the 20's and he did provide good impact in his rookie year coming off the bench in the second row... so maybe he does have some serious game at second row.

I would be interested from those in the know about how they think he'll go rather than me as an armchair coach

Last edited:
well he set up 1 try last year so....dont hold your breathe looking for second phase play from him in the 2nd row...

Last edited:
Well, given he really wants to play 2nd row that's a good start. Means he will give his all especially given the situation we are in where players who give their all are a bit in short supply.

He's played there before so he knows something about the position. He's big and fast and runs hard, like Cordner. He can run a good line - his outside-inside line runs show that, and, his front on defence is good. I think he will make a good back rower for us from the bench, and he can cover in the backs. Also, given TPJ's penchant for exploding brain syndrome, he will be an asset as cover for TPJ's future suspensions.

For mine, Oates will do well and is exactly what we need. But then, with a few others here, I always thought he had the potential to be the next Gene Miles. My only question mark is his lateral movement in defence which has to be spot on.

Can't wait to see him there if that's what happens. At the moment, we can't do any worse with what we have(n't)

Last edited:
It'll be an interesting conundrum if he's an overnight success in the forwards. It'll mean he was right, and Bennett and Seibold were wrong for going against him. We'll soon find out.

I think he'll be able to to make a success out of it. Probably not straight away and until he gets some fitness and strength back. But would he rather be a bench utility or a winger?

Happy to keep Lodge around at the club for as long as he wants to be here. That he of all people seems to be some of the very slim leadership and accountability at the joint is pretty telling.
This is a few days old, but still worth responding too. With everything Lodge has done, and the price he has paid for his actions, it shouldn't be telling he knows more about accountability than most. Regardless of whether he's ever captain he absolutely can be a leader both on and off the field. Hopefully he keeps going the right way in life.

I think he'll be able to to make a success out of it. Probably not straight away and until he gets some fitness and strength back. But would he rather be a bench utility or a winger?

Lots of conditionals ... Well, on his performances recently on the wing, and, given Boyd's questionable quality of service, it looks like he's losing interest in playing wing, also maybe influenced by his leg infection which may well have reduced his speed out there.

On the bench however, he would get good minutes rotating with TPJ and Fifita and, assuming he does well in the back row which I reckon he will, our back row will be more formidable that it is already.

If so, what then to do with Glenn?

Maybe he is being moved to give Boyd his last ever final chance on the wing. After we've tried him at hooker of course.

Maybe he is being moved to give Boyd his last ever final chance on the wing. After we've tried him at hooker of course.
2017-19 Boyd didn’t much like returning kicks from fullback (not with any reasonable intent / vigour anyway), no way he plays wing where he has even less opportunity to shovel the ball along to someone else for the tough carries.

2017-19 Boyd didn’t much like returning kicks from fullback (not with any reasonable intent / vigour anyway), no way he plays wing where he has even less opportunity to shovel the ball along to someone else for the tough carries.

Coates to defend at wing, attack as a centre and vice verse for Boyd.
[automerge]1591678686[/automerge]
Lots of conditionals ... Well, on his performances recently on the wing, and, given Boyd's questionable quality of service, it looks like he's losing interest in playing wing, also maybe influenced by his leg infection which may well have reduced his speed out there.

On the bench however, he would get good minutes rotating with TPJ and Fifita and, assuming he does well in the back row which I reckon he will, our back row will be more formidable that it is already.

If so, what then to do with Glenn?

Glenn to centre Boyd to Centrelink.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Evander
  • broncomax
  • winslow_wong
  • Culhwch
  • Redux
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mcintyre2204
  • whykickamoocow
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • Browny
  • mitch222
  • Waynesaurus
  • eggstar10
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Socnorb
  • ChewThePhatt
  • FACTHUNT
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.