Jack Bird Discussion

I love what I was seeing from arrow, when he was playing off the bench and thought he would be one who will blossom given a regular starting spot. He was regularly offloading, though his timing on hitups was sometimes off. I hope we see him starting during origin.

You mean the same money gagai is about to get to play center , and the same dugan got offered from the dragons to play center . And hasn't been said he has no issue playing center as long as he gets more ball.
Pretty sure we have Folau the big bucks to play wing and eventually centre as well.

He wants to be in control and wants ball. Bennett said he will give him that and that's not going to be at centre.

He wants to be in control and wants ball. Bennett said he will give him that and that's not going to be at centre.

Bennett doesn't promise people positions ... never has, never will.

Bird won't be any different, he will play in the position that the team needs

Your kidding yourself, how long ago did he tell Mcguire he was going to be lock.

Bennett has promised him plenty of good ball at centre... all part of the new gameplan apparently.

Your kidding yourself, how long ago did he tell Mcguire he was going to be lock.

Bennett would have decided that McGuire was the best player to take Parkers position after he retired.

Hodges was a handy centre and he may have been on decent money. He went looking for the ball. Bird could play that kind of role. Roberts gets plenty of hitups. And puts himself in the action.

Bennett has promised him plenty of good ball at centre... all part of the new gameplan apparently.

Seriously guys, it's what, Round 11 and unless I am missing something, I can't see evidence of an effective new game plan. As for McGuire at lock, I have real reservations about Josh this year. I really miss Parker's offloads

Hodges was a handy centre and he may have been on decent money. He went looking for the ball. Bird could play that kind of role. Roberts gets plenty of hitups. And puts himself in the action.

A couple of times last night I noticed Bird pushing the 9 out of the way to take a run...very reminiscent of Hodgo.

A couple of times last night I noticed Bird pushing the 9 out of the way to take a run...very reminiscent of Hodgo.

As long as he is not consigned and confined to a corridor, then I agree a Hodges type role would work ... in our new gameplan

A players Pay packet is leveraged against value to a club .

Positional money is a myth . You think all #7s are on the same money as JT !?

We are talking about a Wayne Bennet team here . Different value system to a lot of coaches .

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...k=54a6b2426c4340a486ef683d136ba656-1495620569

JACK Bird believes Wayne Bennett cannot only make him a better player but a better person.

That’s the reason he’s leaving the defending premiers at the end of the year for a fresh start up north.

“It was obviously a tough decision to leave Cronulla but I felt like going to Brisbane was the right decision,” Bird told foxsports.com.au.

“For not only as a footy player but as a person, I felt like it was the right decision for me and fingers crossed it is.

“I feel like I’m yet to play my best football. I feel like if I go to Brisbane I could possibly accomplish that playing under Wayne.

“That was the main factor. I could go up there and develop myself as a player and person and try and play my best football.

“I feel like going up there, I can do that.”

Depending on which paper you read, Bird’s four-year contract with the Broncos is worth between $875,000 and $1 million per season.

Either result is a handy increase on his current $600,000 deal.

While Bird admits he spoke to Bennett very little throughout the negotiations, it was seeing the relationship the veteran mentor has with his players like Darius Boyd which caught his attention.

The 22-year-old is confident the bond he can build with Bennett will bring the best out in him and is already seeing signs of that from the handful of conversations they’ve had on the phone in recent weeks.

“Every time I speak to Wayne I feel comfortable whereas sometimes when you speak to a coach you feel like they’re your coach and talking to you as your coach and not as a mate,” Bird explained.

“I feel like when I talk to Wayne, he’s a mate and I haven’t known Wayne for long. I knew him when I was younger but didn’t have too much to do with him but I feel like I can trust him.

“I feel like him mentoring me is going to make me a better person and if I’m a better person I’m going to play better footy. That’s one of the main factors.”

Given Anthony Milford is playing five-eighth and Darius Boyd has the No.1 jersey locked down, Bird’s position at the Broncos next season is unclear.

League legend Peter Sterling has been vocal in his beliefs that a Milford-Bird halves combination has the makings of a dog’s breakfast, citing the players’ similarity in styles.

As a bigger body, Bird could well move into a ball playing lock role but it’s all speculation because the man himself says he’s still in the dark over Bennett’s plans for him.

“I’m not expecting to play any particular position yet. I haven’t spoken to Wayne or anyone from Brisbane on that. I’m sure they’ve got a plan for me. We’ll just have to wait and see next year.”

Having grown up and played his junior footy in Wollongong, it was a move to the Shire in 2015 which saw Bird get his NRL start.

But after three seasons at the Sharks during which time he won Dally M rookie of the year, selected for NSW and won an NRL title, Bird’s set for another move.

While Brisbane is a long way from his parents in the South Coast, Bird does have some family on the Gold Coast, a short drive from Red Hill.

While he can’t guarantee he won’t experience some form of homesickness, Bird refuses to live his life with doubts.

He can’t afford to. It wasn’t that long ago that his career and livelihood was in limbo after being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2012.

“It was pretty bad. I didn’t go to school much,” a steely eyed Bird says.

“I barely got to school. I couldn’t walk. I couldn’t do anything. I could walk but it was very slow paced. If I went to school I felt like I was missing out on a lot as a normal kid so I didn’t want to be around that environment so I just tried staying away from everyone.

“I was pretty upset and down. But I overcame that and made me a better person today.”

That’s why you’ll see Bird giving his all in every tackle and smiling after every win.

Needing injections every fortnight to combat the chronic disorder, Bird appreciates his talents that little bit more, knowing too well it was on the verge of being taken away from him.

“I’m very grateful for everything I’ve accomplished,” he said.

“To think I would never play footy ever again and to where I am now, I don’t take it for granted. Tomorrow I could wake up and have it again so I just take it day by day and I’m feeling very good at the moment.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...k=54a6b2426c4340a486ef683d136ba656-1495620569

JACK Bird believes Wayne Bennett cannot only make him a better player but a better person.

That’s the reason he’s leaving the defending premiers at the end of the year for a fresh start up north.

“It was obviously a tough decision to leave Cronulla but I felt like going to Brisbane was the right decision,” Bird told foxsports.com.au.

“For not only as a footy player but as a person, I felt like it was the right decision for me and fingers crossed it is.

“I feel like I’m yet to play my best football. I feel like if I go to Brisbane I could possibly accomplish that playing under Wayne.

“That was the main factor. I could go up there and develop myself as a player and person and try and play my best football.

“I feel like going up there, I can do that.”

Depending on which paper you read, Bird’s four-year contract with the Broncos is worth between $875,000 and $1 million per season.

Either result is a handy increase on his current $600,000 deal.

While Bird admits he spoke to Bennett very little throughout the negotiations, it was seeing the relationship the veteran mentor has with his players like Darius Boyd which caught his attention.

The 22-year-old is confident the bond he can build with Bennett will bring the best out in him and is already seeing signs of that from the handful of conversations they’ve had on the phone in recent weeks.

“Every time I speak to Wayne I feel comfortable whereas sometimes when you speak to a coach you feel like they’re your coach and talking to you as your coach and not as a mate,” Bird explained.

“I feel like when I talk to Wayne, he’s a mate and I haven’t known Wayne for long. I knew him when I was younger but didn’t have too much to do with him but I feel like I can trust him.

“I feel like him mentoring me is going to make me a better person and if I’m a better person I’m going to play better footy. That’s one of the main factors.”

Given Anthony Milford is playing five-eighth and Darius Boyd has the No.1 jersey locked down, Bird’s position at the Broncos next season is unclear.

League legend Peter Sterling has been vocal in his beliefs that a Milford-Bird halves combination has the makings of a dog’s breakfast, citing the players’ similarity in styles.

As a bigger body, Bird could well move into a ball playing lock role but it’s all speculation because the man himself says he’s still in the dark over Bennett’s plans for him.

“I’m not expecting to play any particular position yet. I haven’t spoken to Wayne or anyone from Brisbane on that. I’m sure they’ve got a plan for me. We’ll just have to wait and see next year.”

Having grown up and played his junior footy in Wollongong, it was a move to the Shire in 2015 which saw Bird get his NRL start.

But after three seasons at the Sharks during which time he won Dally M rookie of the year, selected for NSW and won an NRL title, Bird’s set for another move.

While Brisbane is a long way from his parents in the South Coast, Bird does have some family on the Gold Coast, a short drive from Red Hill.

While he can’t guarantee he won’t experience some form of homesickness, Bird refuses to live his life with doubts.

He can’t afford to. It wasn’t that long ago that his career and livelihood was in limbo after being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2012.

“It was pretty bad. I didn’t go to school much,” a steely eyed Bird says.

“I barely got to school. I couldn’t walk. I couldn’t do anything. I could walk but it was very slow paced. If I went to school I felt like I was missing out on a lot as a normal kid so I didn’t want to be around that environment so I just tried staying away from everyone.

“I was pretty upset and down. But I overcame that and made me a better person today.”

That’s why you’ll see Bird giving his all in every tackle and smiling after every win.

Needing injections every fortnight to combat the chronic disorder, Bird appreciates his talents that little bit more, knowing too well it was on the verge of being taken away from him.

“I’m very grateful for everything I’ve accomplished,” he said.

“To think I would never play footy ever again and to where I am now, I don’t take it for granted. Tomorrow I could wake up and have it again so I just take it day by day and I’m feeling very good at the moment.”
Yeah wow.. Didn't realise he had that condition!

Active Now

• Jazza
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • mystico
  • mrslong
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • The Don
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
  • Aldo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Dash
  • Hurrijo
  • Financeguy
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.