Jack Bird Discussion

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Rothfield still claiming that Bird wants to backflip

said he spoke to Bird's agent who denied it, but not convincingly

then went to to claim that the Sharks could let Maloney go to the Knights to accommodate Bird (although he did make a point of saying the Sharks couldn't legally entice Bird to break his Broncos contract)

This was all in relation to the article where Bennett says he is interested in signing Ash Taylor, saying that maybe he is expecting a Bird backflip.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
The Sharks would be nuts to let Maloney go just to get back Bird and then go without a quality replacement in the halves, they would also lose their goal kicker.

But I'm sure Wayne would be amendable to releasing Jack from his signed contract.................for a small fee from the Sharks.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Knowing the sharks, they would try and make us pay for some of Birds wages if we released him.
Only way Bennett should release him is if Taylor suits up for us next year round 1, otherwise, no dice.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
He is the worst journalist I have ever come across in any form of print media...

We are fans, we should and will be bias... he is meant to be a PROFESSIONAL journalist, he should at least water down his bias or make it clear it may be the reason for a certain opinion-not make out like his clouded judgement is fact... he thinks the public is stupid tbh, he will say 20 sensational headlines that he hopes are true but aren't then get 1 right and say stuff like "my sources are right again", "I knew his was happening", "I broke this story months ago".... he thinks the public forget or take him seriously. The click bait headlines he makes up aren't working like they used too with more media options available to the public

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
Knowing the sharks, they would try and make us pay for some of Birds wages if we released him.
Only way Bennett should release him is if Taylor suits up for us next year round 1, otherwise, no dice.
Nah **** that. We'll swap Bird for Maloney....we'll pay Maloney the $1m that we were allegedly paying for Bird (or was it $1.2m, $1.6m or $4m)....

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
The Sharks are turning into the Roosters lately, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're resorting to underhanded tactics to try and keep him. Let's just hope they blow through their development money quickly so we don't have to put up with another scum club doing what they want in terms of signings with impunity whilst we're constantly labelled cap cheats.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Like i said there has been numerous people (a few reliable) saying he wants out . I read somewhere it was because of an unwell family member , he wanted to be closer to home. I guess bird is the only one that really knows, but smoke , fire and all that.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yeah Rothfield is just a whimpering old alcoholic who makes shit up. I honestly only click on his links for their comedic value.

But it isn't even funny, it is blatant lying and unprofessional. Until people stop clicking on his articles, he will keep getting paid. Same as Tallis.

I wish one of the big three of incompetent management, criminalesque refereeing or gossip-columnists would change. If any one of those three were professional, this game would move forward at a pace instead of being held to ransom by this tribalistic backward-thinking territorial air amongst people in position in this sport.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Like i said there has been numerous people (a few reliable) saying he wants out . I read somewhere it was because of an unwell family member , he wanted to be closer to home. I guess bird is the only one that really knows, but smoke , fire and all that.

I kind of want it to be true to be honest (that he wants out, not the sick family member of course) UNLESS we have to pay his salary, we can use the money on Taylor.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
I kind of want it to be true to be honest (that he wants out, not the sick family member of course) UNLESS we have to pay his salary, we can use the money on Taylor.

Sounds like a plan to me !

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Surely if Bird does want out, we wouldn't have to foot the bill for his salary or part thereof. He'd be the one breaking contract, not the Broncos.

This is the NRL, when have they shown any common sense.

we had to carry a part of Martin Kennedy's contract despite him wanting to return to the Roosters

we had to carry a part of Barba's despite him seeking a release.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I'd assume most contracts would incorporate a cancellation based on mutually agreed terms.

Teams release players all the time and it doesn't always involve ongoing payments that's more so if one party wants the other one gone

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I'd assume most contracts would incorporate a cancellation based on mutually agreed terms.

Teams release players all the time and it doesn't always involve ongoing payments that's more so if one party wants the other one gone

Players need to get the same or more than their contract under NRL salary cap rules. if the players new club offers less than the player is currently on then the players current club needs to top up the contract if they choose to release said player.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
This is the NRL, when have they shown any common sense.

we had to carry a part of Martin Kennedy's contract despite him wanting to return to the Roosters

we had to carry a part of Barba's despite him seeking a release.

Thought both were told they weren't needed , thats why we had to cover part of their salary. Bird hasn't even started hus contract, and if he wants out surely we don't need to cover anything.

Unread

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • eggstar10
  • ChewThePhatt
  • porouian
  • Manofoneway
  • Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • Big Del
  • Jazza
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.