Jack Bird Discussion

now obviously I’m not going to argue that fitter is better. But I also think that a guy who has a change of heart and decides to train hard and get shredded is probably also taking all aspects of his career far more seriously. So it may be hard to say how much of his improvement is actually a result of his new body and not a result of his new found dedication.

Bird definitely could lose a bit of flab but if he is training his ass off and taking his job seriously, I don’t think it’s as big of a deal as some may think.

See where you are going but it’s all linked. Hard to be 100% committed despite being badly out of shape when your occupation is athletic. The confidence, the mindset and body are hard to separate. Besides being even 5% faster, fitter and stronger might be difference between busting a tackle and being smashed every time, especially if don’t have smarts and experience to compensate for lower physical abilities like a lot of the greats do later in their careers.

The best for Birds confidence and form will be if the team lifts. The article tells me one great thing though, Bird recognizes his ussues, has put his hand up and been really honest with himself, the team and the fans. Very rare and he will come good.

If Jack keeps up this form, he can kindly sign off.

He just needs to lose weight and everything else will fall in to place. His confidence is lacking because he knows he doesn't have the pace or agility to beat anyone.

He's had some good touches. Needs to get involved a lot more though. Needs to play more infield sometimes too. Nice to see him link up on the left a couple of times.

Hopefully once he loses his weight, he'll have more mobility and energy.

TPJ has to be our long term lock. So Bird needs to find his mojo at 6 this year or centre it will be.
I think there is nice balance to the team under last night's lineup.

If Milf can develop his game management he'll become one of the most dangerus players in the comp. Just needs to combine it with more heads up play as well. Last night after a line break Milf got it from DH or first receiver but instead of attacking the retreating defence he floated across field and eventually dumped it off. He needs to be able to identify the defence was retreating and attack it.

When Milf becomes the all rounder we need then we can have a running big body 5/8 next to him to compliment, which Jack can be.

We also get solid defence with Oppa in the centres, explosiveness and ball playing from TPJ at lock and a solid workhorse prop who can knock out 60mins in the middle.

I think Kodi needs to really go all in on becoming a hooker as well. I said in a another thread that he needs to look no further than Damien Cook for a blueprint as to what he could become as a fulltime hooker.

TPJ has to be our long term lock. So Bird needs to find his mojo at 6 this year or centre it will be.

I agree, what he has shown in the last couple of games with his passing game, he is what we have been looking for to replace Parker. Put Moose back in the front row to do the yardage runs.

I think there is nice balance to the team under last night's lineup.

If Milf can develop his game management he'll become one of the most dangerus players in the comp. Just needs to combine it with more heads up play as well. Last night after a line break Milf got it from DH or first receiver but instead of attacking the retreating defence he floated across field and eventually dumped it off. He needs to be able to identify the defence was retreating and attack it.

When Milf becomes the all rounder we need then we can have a running big body 5/8 next to him to compliment, which Jack can be.

We also get solid defence with Oppa in the centres, explosiveness and ball playing from TPJ at lock and a solid workhorse prop who can knock out 60mins in the middle.

I think Kodi needs to really go all in on becoming a hooker as well. I said in a another thread that he needs to look no further than Damien Cook for a blueprint as to what he could become as a fulltime hooker.

Problem is wishful thinking of Milf becoming an organising halfback.

Agree on Knik like to see him come on at 30 as hooker even once McCullough comes back. McCullough can go to lock when TPJ has a breather and play dual dummy halves last 20. Knik doing a lot of support work in this period.

Think our best team when fit is:

1. Milf
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Boyd
5. Kahu
6. Bird
7. Dargan (Murphy)
8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Sua
12. Gillo
13. TPJ
14. KNik
15. Offa
16. Glenn
17. Haas
18. Taga
19. Opaic
20. Sims
21. Isaako
22. Murphy

It’s time we invest and show faith in some young blokes and at least try to have a structure. Also need to stop playing people out of position.

Problem is wishful thinking of Milf becoming an organising halfback.

Agree on Knik like to see him come on at 30 as hooker even once McCullough comes back. McCullough can go to lock when TPJ has a breather and play dual dummy halves last 20. Knik doing a lot of support work in this period.

Think our best team when fit is:

1. Milf
2. Oates
3. Roberts
4. Boyd
5. Kahu
6. Bird
7. Dargan (Murphy)
8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Sua
12. Gillo
13. TPJ
14. KNik
15. Offa
16. Glenn
17. Haas
18. Taga
19. Opaic
20. Sims
21. Isaako
22. Murphy

It’s time we invest and show faith in some young blokes and at least try to have a structure. Also need to stop playing people out of position.
Sooo Haas goes alright in a 20 minute stint and is in our top 17, Isaako has be great all year and kicking goals and he isn't... really?

Sooo Haas goes alright in a 20 minute stint and is in our top 17, Isaako has be great all year and kicking goals and he isn't... really?

Like Isaako but his decisions and positioning in defence need a lot of work. Which isn’t a slight he just needs experience on the wing. His goal kicking is very valuable but at moment he and Roberts are costing more than his goal kicking add beyond Kahu’s kicking. He also isn’t showing as much as would hope in attack once again not a slight it’s still his first year.

Are you suggesting we punt Kahu for Isaako? Maybe in a year or two but not yet for me. Don’t mind giving Oates a spot on the bench above Haas if Isaako and Kahu are killing it but not there yet and lack of thrust from back 3 with Boyd a worry.

Agree after 20 mins not willing to laud Haas as final answer but hopeful he can contribute a lot more than proven repeat offenders in Thaiday and Sims. Agree versus unproven with lots of potential there is risk. At some point need to take a punt. Still this is why named more 17. If form, injury or new guy needs a break back to QCup then have options. Need a strong 25 man roster for me. The other 5 should be young blokes on minimum wage getting experience for future or maybe an odd journeyman there for depth and a level head.

I'm convinced more than ever now Bird just wont end up at center the way thing stand at this moment in time. He isnt settling here at the moment and is just a big shook if he has to play in the centers

I'm convinced more than ever now Bird just wont end up at center the way thing stand at this moment in time. He isnt settling here at the moment and is just a big shook if he has to play in the centers

How do you see it playing out? I only see him as a stop gap at 6 this year.

I think the only long term positions for Bird are centre, possibly lock or fullback. I think he's a stop gap half, similar to Kodi. I prefer TPJ as a long term lock, he has skill AND can make metres and hit hard in defence. Maybe fullback for Bird if Wayne Jr retires?

How do you see it playing out? I only see him as a stop gap at 6 this year.

Only from what I heard, he will end up as our lock. It's never made any sense to me that we signed him for anywhere else anyway. He is on too much money for a center, he can play fullback but we have boyd on a long contract there, and his other position is five eighth and we already have Milford. We were chasing a halfback while we chased bird so Lock just seems logical.

I have to say, I think he wont see his contract out the way things are going.

Agree, I think Bird will continue to pack the sads and keep putting in Ben Barba performances in the hope for a release.

Or maybe he can score a breakout try a-la Roberts a few years back and then turn it on. Maybe.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Horseheadsup
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Skyblues87
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.