OFFICIAL Jack Bird goes down

Bird isnt a totally stupid guy. He knows as well all do hes getting paid overs for doing little currently. I think when contract talks come around he will be reasonable. There is no better future prospect team for winning a comp than with Broncs at the moment. Roosters maybe, Melbourne not after this season or next. You would take a cut and hedge your bets on staying.

Bird isnt a totally stupid guy. He knows as well all do hes getting paid overs for doing little currently. I think when contract talks come around he will be reasonable. There is no better future prospect team for winning a comp than with Broncs at the moment. Roosters maybe, Melbourne not after this season or next. You would take a cut and hedge your bets on staying.

would you take a 1/5th or less pay cut though?

If it was me and I had already managed to stash away the best part of 2-3 million or more potentially I would definitely be content with taking overs to enjoy my career and experience another premiership.

If it was me and I had already managed to stash away the best part of 2-3 million or more potentially I would definitely be content with taking overs to enjoy my career and experience another premiership.

You do know NRL players pay tax too right?

Last edited:
Just too injury prone, and I think it's more likely that he'll somehow miss most of the next season too rather than play the whole thing without getting injured.

At this stage in his career, with thew injury run, he has no choice but to. His market value is now determined by demand, not how he performed 3 years ago.

You make sound like its Bird decision and he has leverage, the truth is next season Bird will be playing for his future. Bird being 'reasonable' isn't the word I would use. If and that's a big if the Broncos want to retain Bird they will make him an offer but I don't think they will lose too much sleep whether he accepts it or not.

The ball is in the Broncos court not the other way around. There has been too much money paid and very little productivity from Bird for the Broncos that they would be leaning to show him the door. He would have to have an amazing season in 2021 to change this view and even then there would be reservations because of his injury history.

It's a double edged sword for Brisbane either way because the more games he plays, and particularly the more games he plays well in, the more likely he is to attract a silly offer from out of Sydney somewhere and then that makes it really hard for us to match anything substantial like that, so he probably goes. The alternative is he breaks down again long term, doesn't play much, and Brisbane honestly can't justify tabling a new deal for him.

Personally, either way, I see Bird being at the Broncos beyond 2021 to be very highly unlikely almost regardless of what happens.

I couldn't care less if he plays well or not well, not contract much above minimal wage should be offered.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.