OFFICIAL Jack Bird released to the Dragons

On the other hand, where does he play at the Dragons?

Unless they plan to play him on the left where he's less effective there isn't any room for him especially since Lomax has established himself on that right edge. If I was a St. George fan looking at Hooks history of signings I would be extremely worried about this.

Lock or 5/8 seems likely

I reckon we would be paying about half a million. Apparently the deal broke down when Bronx were only willing to pay 300K. The fact it's now accepted means they have gone above that.

Maybe 4 to 500K.
I reckon you’d be close to the mark.
Bird has asked for a release not the other way around. I reckon we are paying nothing.
There is zero chance we are paying zero.
Brent Read is another saying we are chipping in.

I reckon you’d be close to the mark.

There is zero chance we are paying zero.
Brent Read is another saying we are chipping in.
So Lockyer was on the radio this morning saying Bird has asked for a release to join Dragons and that we have agreed. You would imagine that by asking for his release he has waived his PO for 2021. Its win for Dragons as they will be paying nowhere near 975k. Its a win for us as we pay nothing and its a win for Bird as he gets a 2 year contract instead of one. 2 yrs at 600k is better than 1 year at 975k particularly with his injury record. If he got injured next year at Broncos his prospects for the following year would be very grim. He is very lucky to get 2 years at the Dragons.

So Lockyer was on the radio this morning saying Bird has asked for a release to join Dragons and that we have agreed. You would imagine that by asking for his release he has waived his PO for 2021. Its win for Dragons as they will be paying nowhere near 975k. Its a win for us as we pay nothing and its a win for Bird as he gets a 2 year contract instead of one. 2 yrs at 600k is better than 1 year at 975k particularly with his injury record. If he got injured next year at Broncos his prospects for the following year would be very grim. He is very lucky to get 2 years at the Dragons.
Jack Bird activated his option in May so for all intents and purposes, he had a contract for next year here.

Jack Bird activated his option in May so for all intents and purposes, he had a contract for next year here.
But if he has requested a release from it and we grant the release then the contract doesn’t exist anymore.

Clearly neither party could agree on the amount they had to carry so Bird has sacrificed the one year of big money for 2 years at a lower cost in the hope that that is enough time to revive his career.

So Lockyer was on the radio this morning saying Bird has asked for a release to join Dragons and that we have agreed. You would imagine that by asking for his release he has waived his PO for 2021
I think Lockyer will just say whatever he needs to as to not make the club look like incompetent idiots who make bad signings and end up paying large portions of a player's salary to play elsewhere. Jack Bird may have asked for a release on the condition that the Broncos chip in for his salary at the Dragons knowing that the Broncos weren't too keen on keeping him. Clubs wanting to get rid of players and players asking for a release often go hand in hand so I'm not reading too much into the wording.

With that being said, I'd love to find out that the Broncos weren't as desperate to get rid of him as he was to go elsewhere and you raise a good point that taking the two years at the Dragons might have been enticing enough, even if the Broncos aren't chipping in at all.

He asked to be released from his contract . Broncos wanted to keep him. According to Lockyer. So go figure. Smoke and Mirrors.

Yeah, but that allowed him to be paid from November 1 onwards... if he has secured a new contract then he could walk away from his player option to his new contract without having to worry about the two clubs squabbling and also have no break in salary.

The only thing I would say about the release and wording used, is that they didn't mention mutual agreement.

Usually when they say the release was mutual it means the current club isn't paying anything.

Based on current form I'm leaning towards the Broncos having ballsed it up and we're probably paying at least $300k.

It would be nice if the player option had something in there like "if the player accepts the option but then requests a release then the player option contract is considered null and void" ... so in that sense the PO is valid from November 1 and he gets paid (pro rata on the cap as well), but if he wants to leave then he can walk away from the contract.

Last edited:
Brent Read has said we’re chipping in, usually if he says it, he has a reliable source for it. He probably knows even better than Lockyer does, given Darren has proven himself pretty clueless in his current role.

Last edited:
Brent Read has said we’re chipping in, usually if he says it, he has a reliable source for it. He probably knows even better than Lockyer does, given Darren has proven himself pretty clueless in his current role.
Who knows how much it is, but I’d bet that despite losing Bird our cap is about the same or worse than it was 48 hours ago thanks to getting McCullough back on 600k

Last edited:
On the other hand, where does he play at the Dragons?

Unless they plan to play him on the left where he's less effective there isn't any room for him especially since Lomax has established himself on that right edge. If I was a St. George fan looking at Hooks history of signings I would be extremely worried about this.
Dragons fans should be worried....ex broncos coach and players ...ex assistant coach....
Wonder if theyd be keen on the board too

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.