OFFICIAL Jack Bird released to the Dragons

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
screenshot_2020-11-06-brad-walter-on-twitter-png.10474

This is nothing personal against Jack, he really can't help what his body has done to him over the past 2 years, but considering he wasn't even what we needed or wanted at the time of his signing, he now has the unenviable title of the worst Broncos signing in the clubs history. We really have made an impressive habit of "worsts in the clubs history" in 2020, haven't we?

Provided we fully released him without any cap concessions, this leaves us in a very interesting position cap wise. We suddenly have a warchest at our disposal. SURELY this is the club setting Walters up with a clean slate to play around with.

This is nothing personal against Jack, he really can't help what his body has done to him over the past 2 years, but considering he wasn't even what we needed or wanted at the time of his signing, he now has the unenviable title of the worst Broncos signing in the clubs history. We really have made an impressive habit of "worsts in the clubs history" in 2020, haven't we?

Provided we fully released him without any cap concessions, this leaves us in a very interesting position cap wise. We suddenly have a warchest at our disposal. SURELY this is the club setting Walters up with a clean slate to play around with.

It won't be announced but you can be sure Brisbane is covering up to 70% of this.

I'm happy for both parties to move forward from this.

Nothing against Jack Bird personally, but this really was the worst Broncos signing in their history. Supposedly $3.6 million down the drain, effectively 6 times the punishment Cronulla received for cheating the salary cap all those years. The truth of the matter is, he only had a handful of games where he played well for the club. The Round 6 2018 vs. Warriors Round 2 2019 vs. Cowboys and Round 9 2019 vs. Sea Eagles where he incidentally did his ACL. The rest he was a non-factor missing key tackles or making crucial mistakes that really hurt the Broncos.

The key is where do the Broncos possibly go for a replacement? There really isn't a lot out there in the open market and the Broncos don't have a lot coming through either. Right now a Broncos backline would most likely look like 1. Tesi Niu 2. Xavier Coates 3. Jesse Arthars 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Jamayne Isaako - a QCup level backline if I've ever seen one.

Kevie is going to have to act quickly if he wants to be anything more than a stop-gap coach.

Great news at last....one down ...7 or 8 to go

Garry (I think) used the words “released” and “new contract”.

I hope this wasn’t just casual language and we actually aren’t honouring any of his contract with us.

Knowing this club though the agreements that were reportedly delaying this transfer were probably that the dragons had to agree not to publish just how little they had to pay of his contract.

The Brisbane Broncos can confirm they have released Jack Bird from his contract effective immediately.

Bird, 25, has played 17 games for the Club over the past three years since joining from the Sharks, where he won an NRL Premiership and played five State of Origin games for New South Wales.

Chief Executive Paul White thanked Bird for his service to the Broncos.

“Jack is a really good young man who did an honourable job battling through injury when he first arrived with us, then played some fantastic footy in the first half of the 2019 season,” said White.

“He was then hit by a bad knee injury, and again worked incredibly hard to get back into great shape for the start of 2020 before going down with a season-ending injury on the eve of Round 1.

“Through all of his misfortune, Jack has always continued to work hard with an aim of getting back to his best, and that should be commended. The Broncos wish Jack all the best in the future.”

———————————————
official club statement

Released from contract effective immediately is the key phrase. Has the club finally done something right?

edit; quotes from the broncos website are fine right?? Really sorry if it’s against the rules

Last edited:
Yeah, we’ll be paying a truck load, I’d imagine. Fox Sports saying we are paying “a portion”. 95% is a portion, right?

Yeah, we’ll be paying a truck load, I’d imagine. Fox Sports saying we are paying “a portion”. 95% is a portion, right?
I reckon we would be paying about half a million. Apparently the deal broke down when Bronx were only willing to pay 300K. The fact it's now accepted means they have gone above that.

Maybe 4 to 500K.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • Matheos
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Strop
  • HarryAllan7
  • theshed
  • Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  • jd87
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.