OFFICIAL Jack Bird released to the Dragons

All of that may be true but there were a number of us who didn't like the signing initially, not because he wasn't a good player, but because it was a big money signing in a position we didn't need filled. As has long been the case, we needed a halfback or hooker and he wasn't either of those. The question was never his ability, it was the size of his contract and the fact we didn't need him.

Now, the way he has reacted and at a time when we do need him, he is gone.

Thing is, he was never signed to play center. Wayne wanted him to play as a ball playing lock ( Wayne must have seen the change in lock play coming ) so its not like we signed him to play at 6 or in the centers. I'm pretty sure for how we were going to start playing, we did need him. And at the risk of going over old ground, he never cost us a halfback. We just threw all our eggs into the Ash Taylor basket and we came up short. It was never Bird or a 7. At the time i did think we overpayed a little for Bird, but not a lot. Contracts seemed to have gone up quite a bit in 2017.

View attachment 10815
View attachment 10816

This is good content to look back at leading into 2021.. It's a shame it takes years for most people to agree with me.
Hahahahahaha wow... You better be correct about everything you say for the next 10 years or else I'm gonna bloody drill you for it years later....

wait a sec, I've got a life! Carry on...

While without question Bird hasnt been a good signing, i think so many on here are using the benefit of hindsight to push their agendas. When we signed him, he was one of the best centers going around. He strikes me as just a footy player like somebody like Munster is with that bit of mongrel and toughness to his game( not in style of play though ). A fit and firing Jack Bird would have been an massive asset to the Broncos and we would have been fighting clubs off to keep him. Sadly for us and him, he was never fit and we never got to see what he was capable of, especially when you think the plan from Wayne was to put him in at lock and offer us another ball playing option. A fit Jack Bird is a totally different player from the one we got to see because of injury. Its the injuries that made him poor for us, not his ability.

What i have an issue with him is now is taking that player option, jumping ship with us paying a fortune for him and then bagging us. He is full of shit. We rehabbed him, tried to get him fit again and he chose to leave. Lost any respect for him. I'd have rather him just come out and say he wanted to go back down south and start fresh rather than spew out the bullshit he currently is.
We paid 350k more than Cronulla. That was the problem

The reason jack bird didn't work out here is simple.... injuries. Nothing else. He was our best player in the trials he played at fullback after a year and a half out of the game in anew position. He gets a good run with injuries he will be the dragons best or very close too.
Did we over pay? Yes. Did we get our money's worth? No. Did we need to cut ties with him? Yes. Is he a good player? Yes. Is he acting like a spoilt child and a bell end now? Yes. Is uptheBroncos a recruitment genius? No...

and think about it ... we were the middle offer. the Knights offered 200-300k a year more than us

Good point.
Any idea why he didn’t take the knights offer?

Good point.

Bennett over Brown maybe
or maybe it was perennial finalists over perennial bottom 8 team
who knows

Last edited:
If i were Kevvie, the next time we play the Sharks, i would take the collar off TPJ and tell him to cannonball that dickhead into retirement.
Account for it, and give TPJ an 8 week holiday in Bali as compo for the inevitable suspension.

Deadset merkin deserves it.

If i were Kevvie, the next time we play the Sharks, i would take the collar off TPJ and tell him to cannonball that dickhead into retirement.
Account for it, and give TPJ an 8 week holiday in Bali as compo for the inevitable suspension.

Hehe @Huge would love to see the Sharks get smashed of course but what about when the Broncs play the Dragons?

Wouldn't it be better to do that when we play St George?

Good point.
At that time knights were looking at 3 wooden spoons in a row... I think...

They wanted Bird to be the marquee signing that they could build around and attract players with, but it was a complete unknown what Newcastle would actually achieve in his prime years and the roster around him was trash. For a guy that is now ‘comfortable’ in Wollongong it probably looked too hard to be the main man in a Joey Johns loving league town

I think they had Ponga on the books but hadn’t played for them yet and so he was completely untried at that point. Not long after they spent big on Pearce and Klemmer

Last edited:

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  • Mustafur
  • BroncosAlways
  • kiwi2
  • Galah
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • Organix
  • Financeguy
  • Evander
  • Fozz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • cento
  • Johnny92
  • Aldo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.